The Student Room Group

Aston CHEATED me off my pharmacy offer....HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm so pleased that amid the negativity that there are people like you who are so supportive and empathetic towards others. I thank you and if nothing at all I feel a little better now that I have posted on TSR.
I appreciate that it's upsetting for the OP, but applicants need to be aware that the application process is unpredictable and universities can do some pretty surprising things. We could all be warm and cuddly and tell the OP that this is all so unfair and give her cyber-hugs... but that's not painting a realistic picture for the other applicants and future applicants on here reading this thread. You have to go into the application process prepared for the worst. I think the OP should feel a bit grateful that they've at least given her a chance rather than just flat-out rejecting her.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gleek#1
That's the thing they don't actually state on their website which way round the want you to to get the AB. But I'm certain of this they didnt specify on their website which way round they wanted the AB.

If they say 'A in another science and B in a non-science' that means A in Chem, A in another Science and B in a non-science.

Else, they'd just say AAB with A in Chem and including another science, or phrase it as A in Chem and AB in a science and non-science either way round.
Reply 23
They'll give you a higher offer to see if you really want it and are willing to be a hardworking student. If you're not willing to re-take modules, work hard and have a positive outake, more than likely, they don't want you. You're fighting for a position, they've offered you one. However, competition may be higher this year for the course you want to do meaning that you will have to work harder for that place.
Reply 24
Original post by hg345
They'll give you a higher offer to see if you really want it and are willing to be a hardworking student. If you're not willing to re-take modules, work hard and have a positive outake, more than likely, they don't want you. You're fighting for a position, they've offered you one. However, competition may be higher this year for the course you want to do meaning that you will have to work harder for that place.

Thats all and well in fairy-land but in the real world they have a hidden agenda. I believe that they give higher offers than the predicted grades to make it extra difficult for applicants like me to get in, simply because they need some method for combating the increase in student numbers. I mean last year their offer grades were BBB standard no fuss no complications.
I really don't understand what you want us to say to her. :confused: I could agree with the OP that this offer is unfair, and make her feel better, but that would be wrong. Many of us (myself included) have had to deal with offers higher than expected with the fierce competition this year, that's just the way it happens. We can't stop to garnish sympathy upon anyone this happens to, this has been and is going to be a very hard application cycle for lots of people, we have to keep going.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by gleek#1
Thats all and well in fairy-land but in the real world they have a hidden agenda. I believe that they give higher offers than the predicted grades to make it extra difficult for applicants like me to get in, simply because they need some method for combating the increase in student numbers. I mean last year their offer grades were BBB standard no fuss no complications.

It's not extra difficult for "people like you" it's extra difficult for everyone. No one automatically gets high grades. Unfortunately when courses get higher in demand the grades needed to get on those courses increase to (like you said) limit the number of students getting on. They don't need people dropping out if they had people willing to work to fill the spaces. It's unfair but it's the way unis work.
Original post by gleek#1

That is NOT a hidden agenda at all! They have to keep student numbers down, you do realise that universities get fined a LOT of money if they take students above their government assigned-quota? You were naive to expect the entry requirements to stay at BBB, uni has been getting more and more competitive every year recently, LOADS of uni entry requirements went up this year, and plenty of people (myself included) have experienced that.

Look my sympathies go out to you (and my apparent lack of empathy is just because there are other applicants and future applicants reading this thread, so I need to be quite blunt with the truth)... but you have to stop with this- this isn't a healthy way of dealing with the situation. If you vent and get frustrated about the situation, nothing good will come of it. You have an offer that many students won't have even received in the first place. It's up to you what you do with it.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'll put it to you this way: if this was a conversation happening via private messages or a face-to-face conversation, my replies would be drastically different. The fact that this is a public thread, with FAR more people than just the OP reading this dictates my replies.
You haven't been cheated - they had no obligation to even make you an offer in the first place. Competition is tough, so either get those grades and go to Aston, or don't and go somewhere else...you should be glad that they have made you an offer on any conditions at all considering the number of applicants who will just be rejected.
Theres nothing constructive to say since OP cant do anything about it.
Reply 31
Original post by gleek#1
Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.
Advice needed, as I'm at a loss.:frown:

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.

I went to Bath today (also for pharmacy) and they said if you fell you cannot get your predicted grades please tell us and we will offer you something lower. So maybe try ringing them up?
Reply 32
Original post by gleek#1
Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I can sympathise with your situation, but you should have checked what their offers could have been before you applied, a simple check on their website would have told you their admissions criteria and if you genuinely thought you couldn't achieve that, well then you shouldn't have applied.
Reply 33
Original post by Sapphire54
I went to Bath today (also for pharmacy) and they said if you fell you cannot get your predicted grades please tell us and we will offer you something lower. So maybe try ringing them up?

Ok I will do that tomorrow first thing =p
I know that as I am in a similar situation myself funnily enough. Fair enough that Manchester is not my first choice, but they did offer me an A in a subject I was only expecting to require a C in (A-level foreign language) so are pretty unsuitable as an insurance choice now, and I'm not too happy. I know what it's like getting an unexpected offer. I also know the productive response to such a situation...

I know this will sound girly, but there's a lot of meaning in the way we say things.

I think someone else said before "your PS may have been crap" and someone else (maybe you actually) said "other people may have written better PS's" (these aren't word for word quotes). They both basically say the same thing, but the way the first one comes off is very negative.

The reason this sounds girly; "it's not what you said it's the way you said it":tongue:.

It is important to be tactful, I know.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by gleek#1

I know that you are disappointed but Aston sometimes gives theses offers out, I have seen people with it over my time on TSR.

You have to understand that the university needs to know that YOU are capable of studying a pharmacy degree with them. So by giving this offer and you getting the grades..it will give them the reassurance that they are taking on the right student

Now you need to decide if you are able and motivated enough to do this. If this truly is the university of your choice and you decided to put this as your firm, then drastic changes need to take place. Getting your exam preparation and coursework up to a high standard are just two of the things you can do.

Why not try hard for the moment and wait for the other universities to reply back. Have you applied to any unis with lower grade offers?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by petzneo

Why not try hard for the moment and wait for the other universities to reply back. Have you applied to any unis with lower grade offers?

I think that a lot of people seem to think that I'm slacking or not motivated enough to do the work I need to achieve an A at A-level Biology. But this is far from the truth I have clearly AND openly stated in my first post that I will try my best as I have already been doing so in the past and I will hopefully will overcome this milestone in my academic career.
And to those who have been saying that I should have already checked with the university before even applying, I just want to say SCREW you for telling me to do something that I already have done and thus missing the point of my whole frustration. Which by the way is that they have given me an offer which exceeds my predicted grades... Now call me crazy but them doing that is logically or at least morally not acceptable especially in the light of knowing that they gave BBB and ABB offers to other candidates.
Reply 37
Original post by gleek#1
I think that a lot of people seem to think that I'm slacking or not motivated enough to do the work I need to achieve an A at A-level Biology. But this is far from the truth I have clearly AND openly stated in my first post that I will try my best as I have already been doing so in the past and I will hopefully will overcome this milestone in my academic career.
And to those who have been saying that I should have already checked with the university before even applying, I just want to say SCREW you for telling me to do something that I already have done and thus missing the point of my whole frustration. Which by the way is that they have given me an offer which exceeds my predicted grades... Now call me crazy but them doing that is logically or at least morally not acceptable especially in the light of knowing that they gave BBB and ABB offers to other candidates.

I know that...I was just reiterating that point :smile: Listen, maybe you should talk to your 6th form about this and see what the best way of going forward, they might suggest emailing the university about it?

And try to chill a little there is no need to get angry, though I get understand your frustration so just ignore what the other posters say...

Anyway good luck!
can I just ask when did you send off your UCAS, and how long did Aston take to respond to you? anyone? thanks
Original post by gleek#1

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.[/QUOTE]

Did they get offers of ABB/BBB this year?
Because Aston have a minimum offer of AAB. Unless you have already completed your A levels in which it is ABB.

Quick Reply

Latest