The Student Room Group

Aston CHEATED me off my pharmacy offer....HELP!

Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.
Advice needed, as I'm at a loss.:frown:

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
did you consider retaking some AS-level modules?
they are trying to push you, think of it as a test. if you put the work in and manage to get the grade then you're worthy of a place, if you don't then you aren't a good enough standard.

surely this offer is better than them straight off rejecting you
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gleek#1
Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

my housemate got ccde at as level and needed bbb. You should be glad they gave you an offer at all.
Reply 4
Maybe it was your grammar; 'Aston cheated me off my pharmacy offer....HELP!'
An A is 80% at A2. Just retake some AS modules.

Unfortunately they cheated you of nothing. It's an offer based on the condition you try harder, as they're looking for undergraduates with that level of education.
Original post by gleek#1

I think you should be grateful, better this than a rejection, right? However, if they gave everyone else easier offers, then I do agree it is very harsh.
It's 'of' first of all, second you actually got an offer which loads of people will have missed out on so focus on the positives.

Retake some modules if you must, but they may let you in with a B overall in August, so try not to worry too much.
(edited 13 years ago)
They haven't cheated at all. Its their choice who they take and what they offer. Maybe your PS was crap and you only just scraped an offer! be grateful you got one!
Reply 9
I get the problem, but is it that big of a problem?
Your predicted grades aren't what you are actually going to get.

I spent the entire second year of sixth-form being told over and over that I was going to fail Maths, not just do badly, but FAIL. My tutor even said that if he was a betting man, he'd bet that I fail :s-smilie:
They predicted me a U for my A-level grade, and told me that there was people in my class that had worse grades than me, but they believed in them more.
Well, I didn't fail. Sooo I think that's a win for me. I actually got a high B in Stats which was what the harsh teacher taught me.

You can do it too, I believe in you :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Physics Enemy
I think you should be grateful, better this than a rejection, right? However, if they gave everyone else easier offers, then I do agree it is very harsh.

That is the case. What should I do or more correctly what can I do?
Reply 11
Original post by ***Frann***
Maybe it was your grammar; 'Aston cheated me off my pharmacy offer....HELP!'

NOPES, tis 'of' eg. I've been cheated of a chance to prove my grammar is good
Original post by gleek#1
That is the case. What should I do or more correctly what can I do?

What was the standard offer for the course then? AAB in 3 A-Levels, without specifying the subjects requiring A's? Do they stipulate an A in Biology in their standard offer? Do they even have a standard offer or does it vary alot depending on the applicant?

Unfortunately, as with private institutions, it's not always 'fair' or 'right' but essentially applicants and students are in a pretty helpless position, since it's up to the University. Worth a try though.

You could always ask them beforehand what would happen if you missed out on an A in Biology.
Reply 13
Original post by gleek#1

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.

A is 80% and if you need 90% its not impossible. You can do it, if you really want this-you can do it :smile:
Reply 14
What was the standard offer for the course then? AAB in 3 A-Levels, without specifying the subjects requiring A's? Do they stipulate an A in Biology in their standard offer? Do they even have a standard offer or does it vary alot depending on the applicant?

Unfortunately, as with private institutions, it's not always 'fair' or 'right' but essentially applicants and students are in a pretty helpless position, since it's up to the University. Worth a try though.

You could always ask them beforehand what would happen if you missed out on an A in Biology.

They give out offers ranging from AAB-ABB they specifiy you need A in chem and A and B in another science and a third non-science A-level.
I know people that had BCC and got ABB offers. It means if you want to go there you'll have to work harder. Maybe people with lower offers had a more generous admissions tutor or a stronger application. You still have time, I'd try and do a January retake and work your arse off.
Original post by lnwn
NOPES, tis 'of' eg. I've been cheated of a chance to prove my grammar is good

Haha, nicely saved! x
Original post by gleek#1
Haven't you got anything better to do with your time troll? And for the sake of bieng right its actually "OFF". Since they cheated me OFF my offer not of my offer.

No actually I don't - and I'm not a troll.
Okay well I'm sorry, it could read either way...
Actually no, I don't understand you anyway! How could it be 'off'? I'm just gonna go hide in my little grammatically uncorrect corner :'(
Original post by gleek#1
They give out offers ranging from AAB-ABB they specifiy you need A in chem and A and B in another science and a third non-science A-level.

Is the AB in a science and non-science either way round? Or A in the science and B in the non science? You need to be sure of that. If it's the latter, they've given you the upper end of their standard offer.

In any case, you could always send a friendly e-mail and ask what would happen if you missed the A in Bio, since you're predicted a B.
Reply 19
Is the AB in a science and non-science either way round? Or A in the science and B in the non science? You need to be sure of that. If it's the latter, they've given you the upper end of their standard offer.

In any case, you could always send a friendly e-mail and ask what would happen if you missed the A in Bio, since you're predicted a B.

That's the thing they don't actually state on their website which way round the want you to to get the AB. But I'm certain of this they didnt specify on their website which way round they wanted the AB.

Quick Reply