The Student Room Group

Don't want parents at interview

Hi guys,

I'm an overseas UCAS applicant from Romania. Recently, I got an invitation for a physics interview at Oxford University. The problem is, my parents want to come along. Now, it's not that I appreciate what they've done for me and that they are curious, but I don't think I will be able to perform my best with them around. I would like to be left alone for the journey and that won't be possible if my parents come along :/ In addition, no doubt I will feel additional pressure if they are with me every step of the way, especially knowing that they are waiting outside whilst I'm being interviewed - I don't think I can perform to my full capacity.

Am I being immature? Are my thoughts justified?
Reply 1
You don't need to justify how you feel.
Reply 2
I'm going to an interview at Cambridge and my mother's coming along. I'm going to ask her too not go any further with me than the road to the college - she'll be going shopping in that time, and the college is on the way so there shouldn't be any hassle. I know what you mean. :smile:
Reply 3
Just tell them, I don't think you're being immature - there's no point them coming to support you if it then ruins your chances of getting in because it adds extra pressure. If that were to happen, all the hard work and effort would be for nothing.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I'm an overseas UCAS applicant from Romania. Recently, I got an invitation for a physics interview at Oxford University. The problem is, my parents want to come along. Now, it's not that I appreciate what they've done for me and that they are curious, but I don't think I will be able to perform my best with them around. I would like to be left alone for the journey and that won't be possible if my parents come along :/ In addition, no doubt I will feel additional pressure if they are with me every step of the way, especially knowing that they are waiting outside whilst I'm being interviewed - I don't think I can perform to my full capacity.

Maybe you could suggest a trip to see the uni with them another day for them to see it and say you want to go to the interview alone to concentrate?
Even if they do come along the actual interview might be just you without your parents, you could tell them before hand that it's important to you to do the interview alone to make sure.

Tell them how you feel honestly anyway, it isn't unreasonable.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I think you're being very immature - it takes a long time to know why you feel a certain way.

Consider this: would the Oxford interviewers want a student who can't concentrate when their parents are sitting outside the room?

If you think they would not, then ask yourself why you are applying - or whether you are simply redirecting your fear elsewhere.

Otherwise, take it out on your parents.
Its immature of your parents to follow you wherever you go.
Reply 8
take them with you!
if anything goes wrong, you will have them 2 comfort you in a foreign place!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending