The Student Room Group

Struggling with maths, will LiveMaths help?

I'm really struggling with A2 maths and have all of my AS modules to re-sit this year... I'm just awful at it. I've recently bought all of the Edexcel books to revise with over Christmas, but I don't think this will be enough.
I was wondering, is the website LiveMaths any good? Have any of you had any success with it? I know it is expensive (90 quid), but i am willing to pay this if it will help...

I know that some people will just tell me to do practise papers until my eyes bleed, but I'm just not at the stage were i can do them yet.

Thanks. :redface:
Reply 1
:bump: (Sorry, I'm a tad impatient)
Reply 2
I think I might just subscribe. I feel like I've been waiting a life-time for any replies...

(wow, I've just seen that it's only been about 40 minutes *sigh*)
Reply 3
can't you just work through the book using examples? does your college offer lunchtime 'maths club' mine did and it was really useful. But if not just work through the book and go to your teacher with specific problems if you get stuck. But Livemaths may help, its up to you.
Reply 4
I havent been on live maths, so I dont know if its good or not, I dont see why people dont ask teachers for help, when you understand just do some questions from the text book to make sure.

The main question is, what has all this maths got to do with biology?

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by xela
can't you just work through the book using examples? does your college offer lunchtime 'maths club' mine did and it was really useful. But if not just work through the book and go to your teacher with specific problems if you get stuck. But Livemaths may help, its up to you.

Thanks for posting! My sixth form doesn't have a maths club, but my Maths teacher is really friendly and helpful , I just don't want to waste his time (which is what I feel I would be doing).

My class is quite divided with about 70% of us getting A's in the C3 practise papers and the rest (including me) getting U's.

I might try working through the book but it just looks a little daunting...

Have you used LiveMaths before? How do you revise?

Thanks for the help.
Reply 6
Original post by Eloades11
I havent been on live maths, so I dont know if its good or not, I dont see why people dont ask teachers for help, when you understand just do some questions from the text book to make sure.

The main question is, what has all this maths got to do with biology?

Spoiler

Damn... I don't even know how i managed to do that :colondollar:

I don't ask my teacher because i'd be asking him something every thirty seconds, I've lost all confidence in maths...

Do you think it will be fine to leave this thread here? I don't even know how i'd go about moving it :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Liam_G
Thanks for posting! My sixth form doesn't have a maths club, but my Maths teacher is really friendly and helpful , I just don't want to waste his time (which is what I feel I would be doing).

My class is quite divided with about 70% of us getting A's in the C3 practise papers and the rest (including me) getting U's.

Thanks for the help.

I'm in this boat :/
Predicted B, currently getting Ds/Es but A*s in D1 lol...
I've gotten a tutor...
Reply 8
Original post by Liam_G

Thanks for the help.

Ah sure I had a similar situation in my old maths class, do you sit around people getting U's? This may be part of the problem, with maths it's always good to sit next to someone who knows what they are doing, so try and move if necessary.

Sorry I haven't used LiveMaths before or any other maths website as I am a bit sceptical of them, personally I just make sure I have all the relevant books for my course and work through it and along with any handouts given in class. Slowly you get more confident and then you can move on to ppq's but I appreciate this is a big step up. Sadly I don't think there are many shortcuts with maths revision, just got to work through examples and do lots of questions.

LiveMaths may be useful if you dislike the handouts you get in class and find the book inaccessible when trying to work through it, maybe someone else can give you their experience of the site, but I don't think it is necessary? How did you get on at AS?
Reply 9
Original post by Liam_G
Damn... I don't even know how i managed to do that :colondollar:

I don't ask my teacher because i'd be asking him something every thirty seconds, I've lost all confidence in maths...

Do you think it will be fine to leave this thread here? I don't even know how i'd go about moving it :s-smilie:

haha im not sure, im sure some mod will come along whenever they feel like it.
If you work through maths slowly, making sure you know whats going on, why you do certain things ect you should be fine.
what my college does is they run workshops to get help with anything about maths. Maybe you should attend them? More revision outside school helps, even after school sessions. It pains me when smart students get bad grades because they're either too shy to ask for help or lacked revision in their own time
Reply 10
Original post by xela
Ah sure I had a similar situation in my old maths class, do you sit around people getting U's? This may be part of the problem, with maths it's always good to sit next to someone who knows what they are doing, so try and move if necessary.

Sorry I haven't used LiveMaths before or any other maths website as I am a bit sceptical of them, personally I just make sure I have all the relevant books for my course and work through it and along with any handouts given in class. Slowly you get more confident and then you can move on to ppq's but I appreciate this is a big step up. Sadly I don't think there are many shortcuts with maths revision, just got to work through examples and do lots of questions.

LiveMaths may be useful if you dislike the handouts you get in class and find the book inaccessible when trying to work through it, maybe someone else can give you their experience of the site, but I don't think it is necessary? How did you get on at AS?

AS was awful.

At GCSE, maths was fantastic, I had a great teacher and really enjoyed the lessons... if you'd have asked me back then what i wanted to do in life, i would have said maths. Then, AS's come along and they sit all of us in a room and read off a list of names. 20 out of the 26 kids are told to go into another classroom and me and 5 others stay in that one. It turned out that all of the students who got A/A* went into the other class (including one guy who got a B), and everyone else in my class were the ones who had achieved B's (except from me, I got an A).
Our teacher was atrocious, he changed all of our target grades to E's and was delighted when we were getting "high U grades"... He missed out entire topics, taught others incorrectly, and didn't even give us the books to check. Out of the 6 people who were in my class, 2 dropped out and the other 4 (including me ) got U's (apart from one of us who was tutored by older students and managed to get an E)...

Now I've got into A2 and just can't keep up because i don't have much of the basic foundations to build upon, as C1 leads to C2 which helps with C3 and so on...

Sorry for the huge rant. :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by Liam_G
AS was awful.

At GCSE, maths was fantastic, I had a great teacher and really enjoyed the lessons... if you'd have asked me back then what i wanted to do in life, i would have said maths. Then, AS's come along and they sit all of us in a room and read off a list of names. 20 out of the 26 kids are told to go into another classroom and me and 5 others stay in that one. It turned out that all of the students who got A/A* went into the other class (including one guy who got a B), and everyone else in my class were the ones who had achieved B's (except from me, I got an A).
Our teacher was atrocious, he changed all of our target grades to E's and was delighted when we were getting "high U grades"... He missed out entire topics, taught others incorrectly, and didn't even give us the books to check. Out of the 6 people who were in my class, 2 dropped out and the other 4 (including me ) got U's (apart from one of us who was tutored by older students and managed to get an E)...

Now I've got into A2 and just can't keep up because i don't have much of the basic foundations to build upon, as C1 leads to C2 which helps with C3 and so on...

Sorry for the huge rant. :colondollar:

Ah I hate it when colleges do that! Happened to me to a lesser extent in physics AS level. You really should have changed classes last year and got into the good group as it sounds like they had given up from the start on your group which is terrible. I am surprised that you were allowed to continue with maths A2 after getting a U at AS, are you ressiting the whole of AS at the same time?
Yeah they do build on each other so you need to get C1 and C2 strong very quickly! Yeah in this case I definitely feel you need additional support, look into your websites and make sure you find a good one that will answer all your questions. Another option is getting some supplementary teaching out of school from a local maths teacher - i appreciate this may be expensive, but one-to-one tuition is probably necessary to get you up to scratch.
Reply 12
Original post by xela

and yes, I do sit next to people who get U's, and my plan from the start of the year was to sit next to one of my friends who gets near 100% in every maths exam she's ever done... but somebody got there before me so i ended up sitting with one of the kids from my AS class. I think it would look a bit strange if i moved now.
When we do C3 papers as homework (we do one a week) My friend does offer to help me but i feel like I'm wasting her time, and I don't like anyone to help anyway, because i'd like my maths teacher to know exactly how little i know..
Reply 13
Original post by xela
Ah I hate it when colleges do that! Happened to me to a lesser extent in physics AS level. You really should have changed classes last year and got into the good group as it sounds like they had given up from the start on your group which is terrible. I am surprised that you were allowed to continue with maths A2 after getting a U at AS, are you ressiting the whole of AS at the same time?
Yeah they do build on each other so you need to get C1 and C2 strong very quickly! Yeah in this case I definitely feel you need additional support, look into your websites and make sure you find a good one that will answer all your questions. Another option is getting some supplementary teaching out of school from a local maths teacher - i appreciate this may be expensive, but one-to-one tuition is probably necessary to get you up to scratch.

They let us continue with U's because they know it was their fault... I used to be really strong at maths and i think they thought that a new teacher would re-awaken some of that buried talent, but my talent seems to have sadly died

(I know that sounds a bit dramatic :biggrin:)
Reply 14
Original post by Liam_G
They let us continue with U's because they know it was their fault... I used to be really strong at maths and i think they thought that a new teacher would re-awaken some of that buried talent, but my talent seems to have sadly died

(I know that sounds a bit dramatic :biggrin:)

Yeah sounds like they have a lot to answer for. So how many maths exams do you have in Jan?
Reply 15
Original post by xela
Yeah sounds like they have a lot to answer for. So how many maths exams do you have in Jan?

4... C2, C3, S1 and D1.

I'm taking extra lessons in D1 and think i will be fine with it (I'm hoping to absolutely nail this, to bring up my inevitably rubbish marks i'll get in the others)

We're about half-way through S1 and it doesn't seem terrible... I'll just have to go through the book.

C3 is going badly... my maths teacher is under the impression that it's just something that "clicks", and suddenly becomes easy once you understand a few key concepts (but i haven't clicked yet)

And I haven't even looked back over C2 yet...
Reply 16
Original post by Liam_G
4... C2, C3, S1 and D1.

I'm taking extra lessons in D1 and think i will be fine with it (I'm hoping to absolutely nail this, to bring up my inevitably rubbish marks i'll get in the others)

We're about half-way through S1 and it doesn't seem terrible... I'll just have to go through the book.

C3 is going badly... my maths teacher is under the impression that it's just something that "clicks", and suddenly becomes easy once you understand a few key concepts (but i haven't clicked yet)

And I haven't even looked back over C2 yet...

Ah ok well that sounds pretty tough, gonna have to do a lot of work over Christmas :hnn: so anything that helps you is worth getting at this point in time :smile:
Have you tried Youtube?

There are lots of maths tutorial videos which may help you....well, it has me.

Do you think any of the others in your class would help you out?- Sometimes an explanation from someone else, other than your teacher helps to make things click.

Good luck.
Reply 18
im currently using livemaths and yeah, if you dont understand what the teacher says in class the videos on livemaths for me have been VERY useful. Try it out and see for yourself, i would recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending