The Student Room Group

Anyone else fed up with the protests??

ok, so i get why people are upset, but its getting stupid!!
so what people will have to pay more, a degree is worth more than £27,000 anyway!! and an education isnt a right! its something you earn from working hard, and it shouldnt just be handed to you.
i really dont understand why people are so mad. if you want a degree that much you wont care about how much it costs, i sure as hell dont and i am not exactly rich or anything, i come from your average working class family.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Laura-alice26
so what people will have to pay more, a degree is worth more than £27,000 anyway!! and an education isnt a right! its something you earn from working hard, and it shouldnt just be handed to you.
i really dont understand why people are so mad. if you want a degree that much you wont care about how much it costs, i sure as hell dont and i am not exactly rich or anything, i come from your average working class family.

TROLL
Reply 2
They are getting a bit tedious, but then again people are angry and I suppose rightly so. I still think the bill is sensible one... But hey, thats just my opinion.
An education in my mind is a right.

And a more educated population lends to macroeconmic health in the future.
Reply 4

What if a student with great potential comes from a family which rely solely on government handouts? + aren't there maintenance fees on top of that sum?
Reply 5
No, I'd rather see students rioting about tuition fees on the tele, than The X Factor or I'm a Celebrity ...
Original post by pinpoint
No, I'd rather see students rioting about tuition fees on the tele, than The X Factor or I'm a Celebrity ...

ITV, HIER THIS MAN :ahee:

It will make for some good reality TV :closedeyes:
Reply 7
Ignore the protests then. Why do you care?
Reply 8
Original post by pamelaa
Get a loan like everyone else has to?

I see. But won't it be difficult to pay off that loan especially if you're focusing on getting a mortgage in the future too?
Reply 9
No, I'd rather see students protesting about tuition fees on the tele, than The X Factor or I'm a Celebrity ...

Fix'd for ya :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by rajandkwameali
An education in my mind is a right.

And a more educated population lends to macroeconmic health in the future.

This argument implies that all degrees educate in the sense that they give relevant skills to a future occupation.
Reply 11
Education is a right; it enables us to gain the knowledge we need to pursue jobs that we are naturally skilled at doing. Education = knowledge = freedom and therefore education is a right to freedom. What's more, if it wasn't an inalienable right, we wouldn't have free primary and secondary education, and one of the World Goals for 2015 wouldn't be the achievement of universal primary schooling! Everyone deserves the right to the sort of jobs they would excel at; it would benefit society as a result. The number of potential geniuses that will be restricted from top jobs as a result of mammoth tuition fees is horrifying. Having money does not give you a better right to knowledge than someone who is born into poverty.

I could go on and on.....there are too many reasons why higher tuition fees is a bad idea, and why these protests are exactly what we need to ensure policies so damaging aren't ever put in place
Reply 12
I dont understand what people want, there seems to be two options - up the price or cut places. I know what most people would prefer
Reply 13

It is people like you that make Britain, the misreble foul smelling garbage heap of a country it is today.

Education is a right and it should be free for all no matter what. The best countries in the world all have free education systems. If Britain carries on with this neoliberal route then we are all screwed.

It's so true
I think those who have a valid point should get the focus because all you see in newspapers and on TV are a bunch of dirty anarchists setting fire to things. Personally, I believe the fees are the only way our universities will be able to compete with the likes of US and increasingly China. Also, if your education mattered to you, you would spend whatever it took to further it if you really did want to learn? I think people are forgetting that universities are institutions of learning, not glorified jobcentres.
Reply 16
the thing is everyone in this country starts out with a right to an education, they go to nursury, primary school, secondary school, then they need to have worked hard to progress to the next steps which is when i think learning really begins.
education is a choice!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by razzz48
This argument implies that all degrees educate in the sense that they give relevant skills to a future occupation.

Most do. At least in the sense of critical thinking and skills that are demanded in the workplace.
Reply 18
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
Reply 19
Original post by Oreon
Education is a right; it enables us to gain the knowledge we need to pursue jobs that we are naturally skilled at doing. Education = knowledge = freedom and therefore education is a right to freedom. What's more, if it wasn't an inalienable right, we wouldn't have free primary and secondary education, and one of the World Goals for 2015 wouldn't be the achievement of universal primary schooling! Everyone deserves the right to the sort of jobs they would excel at; it would benefit society as a result. The number of potential geniuses that will be restricted from top jobs as a result of mammoth tuition fees is horrifying. Having money does not give you a better right to knowledge than someone who is born into poverty.

I could go on and on.....there are too many reasons why higher tuition fees is a bad idea, and why these protests are exactly what we need to ensure policies so damaging aren't ever put in place

Do all degrees achieve this consequence of true education?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending