The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Doesn't seem to be a thread for Glasgow 2011 applicants

I hope there isn't one :colondollar:

I'm a maybe - I have a UKCAT score of 657.5 (710, 740, 630, 550)

I don't know what last years cut-off was, or whether I would be a fool applying with that score?

Comment away...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im applying there :smile:
I'm applying too. It's my first choice :biggrin:

I'm not sure about this year (and no one will be until after all applications are in) but last year the cut-off was raised to 640. It's hard to tell whether they will raise it again for this year...
I have a score of 650 and it has almost certainly put me off applying to Glasgow.

That and the fact a fully PBL based course doesn't appeal to myself.
Reply 4
Caponester
I have a score of 650 and it has almost certainly put me off applying to Glasgow.

That and the fact a fully PBL based course doesn't appeal to myself.

Right.
Organ
Right.

You disagree?
Reply 6
Caponester
You disagree?

Nope, out of interest why has the UKCAT score put you off?

Any idea what last years cut off was? 640 is thrown around - but that could rise to 660-ish this year :o:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Im applying =) ! Got UKCAT soon .. if i get 670 above i will defo apply ... although you never know what the cut off is :frown: Any random ideas what is could be ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Organ

Any idea what last years cut off was? 640 is thrown around - but that could rise to 660-ish this year :o:

When i went to the open day they said everyone who got 2580 above got an interview I think ... it was probably 640-650 last year..
Reply 9
G550NDH
Im applying =) ! Got UKCAT soon .. if i get 670 above i will probably apply ... although you never know what the cut off is :frown: Any random ideas what is could be ?

I have no idea about the cut-off.
Reply 10
G550NDH
When i went to the open day they said everyone who got 2580 above got an interview I think ... it was probably 640-650 last year..

645 ~ wish I was applying last year :p:
Reply 11
Organ
645 ~ wish I was applying last year :p:

dude i got 650 last year but didnt apply to Glasgow .. I so wished i did =/
Organ

I don't like how Glasgow use the UKCAT, it is all very mathematical. I thought the cutoff score was actually 645 last cycle and 640 the previous cycle. It appears to be increasing year on year...

I have heard that everyone above a certain UKCAT score receives an interview but I'm not sure if this is BS or not, I mean surely they must also score the personal statement and referee statement?

It's a shame because I really wanted to come back and live in Glasgow but I just do not think my score is competitive enough. You are in an even trickier situation because on paper you should be just ok - but what if the average score of applicants takes a large jump and you miss out?

Horrible.
Reply 13
Caponester
I don't like how Glasgow use the UKCAT, it is all very mathematical. I thought the cutoff score was actually 645 last cycle and 640 the previous cycle. It appears to be increasing year on year...

I have heard that everyone above a certain UKCAT score receives an interview but I'm not sure if this is BS or not, I mean surely they must also score the personal statement and referee statement?

It's a shame because I really wanted to come back and live in Glasgow but I just do not think my score is competitive enough. You are in an even trickier situation because on paper you should be just ok - but what if the average score of applicants takes a large jump and you miss out?

Horrible.

I met one of the admissions people and she said we make a cut off based on the 800th person's UKCAT score which is ranked .. and she said that we only look at personal statement to see if you have the right mind for medicine and look into it at more detail if you get an interview
Reply 14
:frown:
Caponester

Horrible.

:frown:

Nope, it's an arbitary cut off - like Newcastle or Manchester, you could have A*A*A*, 12A* at GCSE and an amazing personal statement but 12 minutes of incorrect code guessing can make all the difference at places like this. It's a terrible way of selecting candidates these cut-offs - places like Leicester & Leeds have the right idea. Basically it serves as an easy way to chop away the bulk of applicants ~ although you might miss a good few excellent students you can always rely on having more than enough decent students above the cut-off to mean it doesn't really matter.
G550NDH
I met one of the admissions people and she said we make a cut off based on the 800th person's UKCAT score which is ranked .. and she said that we only look at personal statement to see if you have the right mind for medicine and look into it at more detail if you get an interview

While that sounds like an acceptable situation, Glasgow is one of the more popular medical schools and probably receive in the region of 2500-3000 applications. Being in the top 800 in terms of your score is not a forgone conclusion unless you have about 680+
Reply 16
G550NDH
dude i got 650 last year but didnt apply to Glasgow .. I so wished i did =/

Ah damn, well good luck this year.

All this talk of cut-offs means I'm probably going to apply to either Bute or Cardiff.
Organ
Ah damn, well good luck this year.

All this talk of cut-offs means I'm probably going to apply to either Bute or Cardiff.

Most people in our position will make similar university choices which has two effects...

1) It pushes up the calibre of students applying to non UKCAT loving universities

2) Raises the average UKCAT score of applicants to UKCAT universities

****! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Caponester
While that sounds like an acceptable situation, Glasgow is one of the more popular medical schools and probably receive in the region of 2500-3000 applications. Being in the top 800 in terms of your score is not a forgone conclusion unless you have about 680+

Yep what you say is true and understandable. I guess I will have to try my best on the UKCAT and if i do get above 670 , 680 then i will be over the ******* moon lol ! Who knows maybe they might lower the UKCAT cut off .. highly unlikely but would be awesome if they did =)

Good luck mate
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Just rang Glasgow up.

The cut off last year was 2570, or an average of 642.5.

That is 60 points below my score of 2630, hmmmm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending