The Student Room Group

Help understanding RAF AST aptitude test results

I did the Airman Selection aptitude tests today and I passed. I'm just not sure of how they mark it and what the scores are out of etc.

I got group scores:
A: 69
B: 58
C: 67
D: 62
E: 62

and Specific skills scores:
VR: 7
NR: 7
WR: 6
EC: 6
MC: 5
SR: 3 (I was awful with those shape things lol)

So those are the scores on my sheet. But what are they out of? Is that VR 7 out of 10 or what?

Just want some better understanding of my scores and how well I did.

Also, is there any way to improve my spatial reasoning? I found it hard to recognise the shapes when they were flipped around etc.
Reply 1
Did you pass for your chosen trade? If so dont worry about it.
Reply 2
You're better off asking/ searching e-goat.com tbh. x
Reply 3
Or go into the AFCO and ask them to go through it with you.
In terms of recieving information and feedback, TSR is much better than e-goat.
Reply 4
Original post by Casshern
I did the Airman Selection aptitude tests today and I passed. I'm just not sure of how they mark it and what the scores are out of etc.

I got group scores:
A: 69
B: 58
C: 67
D: 62
E: 62

and Specific skills scores:
VR: 7
NR: 7
WR: 6
EC: 6
MC: 5
SR: 3 (I was awful with those shape things lol)

So those are the scores on my sheet. But what are they out of? Is that VR 7 out of 10 or what?

Just want some better understanding of my scores and how well I did.

Also, is there any way to improve my spatial reasoning? I found it hard to recognise the shapes when they were flipped around etc.

With your group scores you will need to get a certain mark in one category for your perticular trade. Example: My trade is WSOp which needs 70 in group E.

Your specific skills scores are out of 9. Again, you would need to meet one or two scores in categories relating to your trade. Example again: WSOp needs 7 in NR to continue.

You should have the sheet with all trades listed with the scores required. So WSOp will say:

WSOp: >7 NR Cat E >70

So more than 7 in Numerical Reasoning and more than 70 in cat E.

Simples!
Reply 5
Original post by Merlin55
With your group scores you will need to get a certain mark in one category for your perticular trade. Example: My trade is WSOp which needs 70 in group E.

Your specific skills scores are out of 9. Again, you would need to meet one or two scores in categories relating to your trade. Example again: WSOp needs 7 in NR to continue.

You should have the sheet with all trades listed with the scores required. So WSOp will say:

Simples!

Thank you, that helped. the trade I wanted is in cat A and I only needed 60 for it and got 69. I didn't know the specific skills were out of 9. I did quite good on verbal and numerical. My spatial reasoning is pretty awful though.
Reply 6
Just as well you didn't need spatial reasoning then! :smile:
Reply 7
Hello Merlin 55

I took my AST for PTI post. Needed 58, got 50 so am retaking soon. Was told I failed on electrical (got 3) and spatial (got 2). what do i need to get a pass in these and spatial awarensss please? any ideas?
However the PTI role just shows needing 2 for VR and 2 for NR, I scored 6 for VR and 5 for NR. I also passed the mechanical (5). the memory test results arent shown and dont seem to be included ? only 6 specific skills (stanine scores) shown not the 7. I need to get 8 more points? dont really understand those results and the scoring system? why would i need electrical, mechanical and spatial awarenss when Im going for PTI when they are not listed on the PTI specific skill requirements for PTI? thanks would really appreciate your input. Cheers

Original post by Merlin55

Simples!
Reply 8
merlin55,i am hoping to be going into WSOp (L) role. i have my p2 pres coming up and then the test afterwards. any tips of advice? I want this role so badly! so the main area's they look at are maths and E comp ?
Reply 9
Original post by el!
merlin55,i am hoping to be going into WSOp (L) role. i have my p2 pres coming up and then the test afterwards. any tips of advice? I want this role so badly! so the main area's they look at are maths and E comp ?

You are posting to someone on a thread that is several years old so maybe won't get a reply from them!

However, I can say look at other threads on here and the AST practice questions on the RAF recruitment website for an idea of what they ask. Secondly, your results in every section are taken into account, so try your best in ALL areas. Finally, don't worry about what numbers you need and how the final scores are arrived at; the results required can change and recruitment staff generate them using a computer. No-one on here can say for definite you need 15 out of 20 or a 6 in Numerical Reasoning, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest