The Student Room Group

Why are some gay guys camp?

Some gay guys are extremely camp. Why is this? I have an idea that sometimes guys use it as an instrument to indicate to others, in particular other gay guys, that they are gay.

Where does acting and speaking in a camp manner come from? Is it just something that comes naturally or does one make a concious decision to be camp?

I'm not saying that being camp is a bad thing at all, I just don't really understand it and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the matter.

Scroll to see replies

Not sure, but it's ****ing annoying.
Reply 2
It is kind of strange, I have nothing against it, well I mean sometimes it irritates me, but on a whole it's not a problem, ha.
I really don't know how it comes about, i'd really like to know because currently I don't see how a gay person speaking in a camp voice is any different to if I decided to start talking in an American accent.
As i'm pretty sure the voice a person is born is not linked to their sexuality.
Why do you ask this as anonymous?
I bet it's cause your user name is "campfagpinkrainbowsglitterladygaganal"

I don't know why camp guys act like women but worse.
I'm guessing it's because they use the fact they're gay to define themselves and therefor want everyone to know because that's all they have to offer.
That and the daddy issues.

I want to kick them in the shins... and i'm gay myself...
Original post by OceanInTheSky
Not sure, but it's ****ing annoying.

'Camp' Gays probably find you ****ing 'annoying' too. People should be permitted to be themselves, and not have to worry about people like yourself finding their comportment to be not of YOUR liking. We (or speak for myself, more like: I) couldn't care less, sweetie. As I personally will persist to be camp as I cannot cease doing so. IT IS ME.

Live and let live, my friend.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I ain't camp but I don't mind guys who have such manner. It's kind of funny and colourful... :P Well some people might find it hard to put up with all those pansies, but personally, I am so positive person that I enjoy mingling with them. :smile:

Why are some guys camp? Maybe they find it fun? Or maybe they treat it as a means to define themselves (no matter how shallow it may sound)?... Well, you can also ask why punks are punks and why some gay girls are butch and others are lipstick ones?
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm gay and they annoy me to hell.

I hate the whole: "hey my name is Dave, I'M GAY".

WHY DO THEY NEED TO FORCE THEIR SEXUALITY DOWN EVERYONE ELSE'S THROATS.
Silly idiots.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Acting camp likely stems from the same "genetic" cause of their attraction to men, it's all part of them being generally feminised.
Original post by coolblergh
'Camp' Gays probably find you ****ing 'annoying' too. People should be permitted to be themselves, and not have to worry about people like yourself finding their comportment to be not of YOUR liking. We (or speak for myself, more like: I) couldn't care less, sweetie. As I personally will persist to be camp as I cannot cease doing so. IT IS ME.

It's still chuffing annoying though. I mean, I'm gay, and it really, really gets on my tits. I wouldn't go up to a camp guy and tell him this to his face but I don't have any camp friends nor would I ever have a camp partner because they annoy me so much. Similarly I don't go to gay bars because they're full of raging homos. Sadly, I'm just a normal guy with a sexual preference for men over women which means it can be hard to find similarly normal gay men.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Acting camp likely stems from the same "genetic" cause of their attraction to men, it's all part of them being generally feminised.

Why don't you back up this with scientific evidence?

This is trash,- I'm gay, I do not act like a woman and neither does my boyfriend.

Honestly, I hate how they're seen as the norm of gays.
Original post by super.teve

Silly idiots.

You.
I agree with you 100%
You said what I was trying to say much better than I did.
Lots of gay people itt

So? If they find me annoying that's fine...They're still annoying though.

Silly idiots.

Agree with what's in bold.

As for the 'silly idiots' part; not so much. Let people be who they are.
Reply 14

I hate the whole; "hey my name is Dave, I'M GAY"
I'm gay so I want to act like a woman,
I'm gay so I shall wear makeup.

Silly idiots.

Whoa, I reckon being gay, you should show more tolerance for others...:cool: Saying such things makes you seem to be somewhat hypocritical :s-smilie: And what about trannies? Do you also find them repulsive?

It is so sad that people who struggle with intolerance are intolerant themselves....

Btw, I'M GAY
(edited 13 years ago)
Some straight guys are extremely butch. Why is this? I have an idea that sometimes guys use it as an instrument to indicate to others, in particular women, that they are straight.

Where does acting and speaking in a butch manner come from? Is it just something that comes naturally or does one make a concious decision to be obnoxious?

I'm not saying that being butch is a bad thing at all, I just don't really understand it and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the matter.

I think that anyone who is annoying is annoying.
Slaggy girls are annoying
Overly macho guys are annoying
Camp guys are annoying.

He never said they shouldn't be permitted to be camp, he just said it's annoying. Just like people who have very loud personal phone calls next to me on the bus are annoying, or slipping over in the snow is annoying. Calm yourself down there 'love'.

woah calm down... some people find certain things about people annoying... i think arrogant or really gobby people are annoying, even though it's who they are.. not everyone likes every little thing about everyone else.
Reply 18
this is why
Original post by moqo
Hey, I reckon being gay, you should show more tolerance for others...:cool: Saying such things makes you seem to be somewhat hypocritical :s-smilie: And what about trannies? Do you also find them repulsive?

It is so sad that people who struggle with intolerance are intolerant themselves....

They bring the intolerance on themselves usually, making a show, being loud, prancing around urgh.

I do not struggle at all with intolerance, because I do not make my sexuality an issue, people know, I tell people, but I don't make it an issue.

Latest

Trending

Trending