The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are police allowed to punch you in the face?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EKR93
They are probably just annoyed that the students are out protesting again. I know if you were peacefully protesting that is fair enough, you have every right to, but they were probably fed up of having to be there to make sure things didn't get ugly. The officer shouldn't have punched your friend if he did nothing wrong; there is nothing illegal about walking or protesting.

File a complaint to the Met and see where it goes from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ain't that part of their job? :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by bob'syouruncle
Were you there?

Well no, he wasn't being abusive or aggressive, in fact he was actually apologising when he got punched, i was right next to him when it happened and as far as i could tell the only reason they were shoving people and/or punching was because we were walking next to them. If we unintentionally got too close to them they would shove you a couple of metres back

Don't go to violent protests? Anyone of any worth was working at the time.
Reply 42
Original post by bob'syouruncle
Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.

Police are allowed to use any level of force required as long as they can justify it. You punch him he can punch you ect. So no he was not allowed to punch your freiend
Reply 43
Original post by alpha-beta1
how can he punch?

well it won't help if you (not YOU) have an accent and brown face! (and winding him up!) :smile:
Well if you were ambling along admiring the countryside and a police officer decided to punch you in the face would be acceptable, but if it's in defence and well justified, then I see no reason why not.
Reply 45
Original post by antonia12345
wonder why the incident of police on horse-back charging into a kettled crowd populated with young school children hasn’t been covered in recent news: http://anticuts.com/2010/11/26/the-images-the-media-wont-show/
yet when a fire extinguisher almost hits a policeman it’s in every paper the following day.

Because most of the video that popped up of that alledged event was so heavily editied no one could work out what was really going on. I watched full BBC and sky coverage of the protests and did not see those cops charge on hose back once. I saw them walking through the crowd but that wasa it
Reply 46
Original post by Aj12
Police are allowed to use any level of force required as long as they can justify it. You punch him he can punch you ect. So no he was not allowed to punch your freiend

the police can and do a lot of things (as long as they know there is no evidence (cctv/witness/grassers). The whole string of cases of black men dying in police custody is not surprising. If you've in anyway pissed the police of and they can stick it to you, they will (and they can justify it)
Reply 47
Original post by bunty64
the police can and do a lot of things (as long as they know there is no evidence (cctv/witness/grassers). The whole string of cases of black men dying in police custody is not surprising. If you've in anyway pissed the police of and they can stick it to you, they will (and they can justify it)

Oh shut up you paranoid moron.
Reply 48
Original post by Aj12
Oh shut up you paranoid moron.

lol! This stuff happens. My mate from uni is in his second year as a beat officer in islington and he's seen it all (he hides the fact that he is gay from his colleagues; he can't stand the banter!)

I used to have the same attitude to all those black boys at school/college who used to complain about being harrassed by the police, but not until I saw it with my own eyes. (Now not saying the majority of the police are like this as things have greatly improved since the 70s/80s, this stuff still happens (not just with a racial element, but generally).
You can't expect somebody not to defend themselves.

Imagine the state of the country if these lawless people at the front of protests, completely intending to cause trouble and injury to the police, were allowed to do as they pleased and batter whomever they wanted? We'd be living in fear
Reply 50
Original post by bunty64
lol! This stuff happens. My mate from uni is in his second year as a beat officer in islington and he's seen it all (he hides the fact that he is gay from his colleagues; he can't stand the banter!)

I used to have the same attitude to all those black boys at school/college who used to complain about being harrassed by the police, but not until I saw it with my own eyes. (Now not saying the majority of the police are like this as things have greatly improved since the 70s/80s, this stuff still happens (not just with a racial element, but generally).

Black people statistically are way over represented in crime and prison population. Along with that we have sterotypes of blacks as being criminals in many cases.

I think the problem is society wide rather than just among the police.
Original post by toofaforu
i'd love to go to the protests and no do anything but laugh at the popo for how **** their job is, how badly paid they are, and how pathetic their lives are. it would give me great satisfaction to see their faces.

You say this mow, but when your house gets robbed, you get mugged or someone steals your car im youll be the first person to go crying to them!
Reply 52
Original post by Aj12
Black people statistically are way over represented in crime and prison population. Along with that we have sterotypes of blacks as being criminals in many cases.

I think the problem is society wide rather than just among the police.

some are saying that muslims are over represented in prisons (and muslims generally refers to asians).

But the police have great authority and it's been abusedin many cases (most we don't hear about). I don't really care what happens to those guys who try and act hard in certain parts of london but when I hear stories from my mate about what him and his colleagues get up to, I actually get angry.

Let just hope you never get pulled up and given a slap across the face for having a
"moozie face"......
Reply 53
Original post by bunty64
some are saying that muslims are over represented in prisons (and muslims generally refers to asians).

But the police have great authority and it's been abusedin many cases (most we don't hear about). I don't really care what happens to those guys who try and act hard in certain parts of london but when I hear stories from my mate about what him and his colleagues get up to, I actually get angry.

Let just hope you never get pulled up and given a slap across the face for having a
"moozie face"......

So any cop that does that get their shoulder number and report it to the IPCC
Reply 54
Original post by Aj12

from what I've heard that just involves a thick pile of paperwork and at the end of it nothing comes of it. As long as there aren't any witnesses or evidence as such, nothing ever comes of it as the officers involved will create a story to justify their actions. The smart ones know when and when not to express their "authority"....

not sure, but I'm guessing it would be worse up north, where there is undeniably more racial tension between whites and asians.
Reply 55
Original post by bunty64
from what I've heard that just involves a thick pile of paperwork and at the end of it nothing comes of it. As long as there aren't any witnesses or evidence as such, nothing ever comes of it as the officers involved will create a story to justify their actions. The smart ones know when and when not to express their "authority"....

not sure, but I'm guessing it would be worse up north, where there is undeniably more racial tension between whites and asians.

Ring on the Daily fail. Im sure they would jizz themselves over such a senstionlist story.
Original post by Aj12
Because most of the video that popped up of that alledged event was so heavily editied no one could work out what was really going on. I watched full BBC and sky coverage of the protests and did not see those cops charge on hose back once. I saw them walking through the crowd but that wasa it

ha yeah that was my point, my question was rhetorical and sarcastic(hard to convey on the internet I suppose).
Reply 57
Original post by Aj12

Alot have figured out it helps to cover their numbers when assaulting the public.

Anyway, OP the police can do whatever the hell they want. They get away with murder.

Literally.
Reply 58
Original post by Bonged.
Alot have figured out it helps to cover their numbers when assaulting the public.

Anyway, OP the police can do whatever the hell they want. They get away with murder.

Literally.

You realise that 2 autopsies could not work out what actually killed him? Go take your mindless hate somewhere else
Reply 59
Original post by Aj12
You realise that 2 autopsies could not work out what actually killed him? Go take your mindless hate somewhere else

I can and so can every other objective person who has viewed that video.

Mindless hate? You are defending the right of an organisation to attack and kill the very people by whose consent it exists.

Very strange comment. It's mindless hate to throw an old man to the ground or beat peaceful female protesters with batons.

Latest

Trending

Trending