The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Manchester??

I have recieved offers from both these universities and have started to think about which one I would prefer to go to... However my knowledge on both is a little sketchy :s-smilie:

I have friends at both and have heard both good and bad things about each, and have visited Manchester Uni myself.

The course I have an offer for from Manchester is Japanese studies, and from Newcastle Japanese and cultural studies (still waiting for a replying for Japanese with linguistics)

Can anyone give me any advice or even just their own opinions on either university and maybe even the course? I know the final decision is my own but I wanted to hear some opinions from current students :biggrin:

thank you :smile::smile::smile:
Oh god, Newcastle without a doubt.

I currently live in Manchester (for uni), but my hometown is Newcastle. It wins hands down.
People are so much more friendly in the north east! :p:

I mean come on, the muppets in Manchester don't even understand how to queue for a bus. Surely that tells you something! They are like animals trying to get on........where I come from you stand and wait your bloody turn! No queue jumping. (Of course buses may not be important to you, but it's something that ticks me right off with people down here). No bloody manners. I'm starting to warm to Manchester, but if there's anything that pisses me off, it's the fact that nobody here seems to know how to say please, thank you, or even smile :frown:

EDIT: i'm not a student at either (I go to MMU), but I can say Newcastle as a place, is the better one to live at.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Lived in both, Newcastle is much nicer. Besides, Newcastle's campus is nice and close together. I also do find Newcastle a friendlier place, although manchester isn't as bad as cookie is making out :P
Original post by hedfunk
Lived in both, Newcastle is much nicer. Besides, Newcastle's campus is nice and close together. I also do find Newcastle a friendlier place, although manchester isn't as bad as cookie is making out :P

Their conduct when getting on a bus is exactly as bad as i've made out. I have to tell myself these days not to expect any different and then I can't get pissed off :p:
Newcastle is a very friendly place. The nightlife is great too, there is plenty of clubs, bars, music venues, etc and the Newcastle uni is right in the centre of town so all the shops are close to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending