The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Can't set up Thunderbird or Mail for uni email.

Can anyone help? :frown:
Reply 1
What year are you in? They've recently moved to the new Windows Live service, which stores all the emails on Microsoft's side and lets you use their Live services - it's basically like having any other Windows Live / Hotmail account, you can even log into MSN with it.

If your email address ends in @rhul.ac.uk, follow these instructions.

If your email address ends in @live.rhul.ac.uk follow these instructions. You can find your POP/IMAP settings by logging in to Outlook Live online. On your mail page there should be a little drop down arrow on the top right under the green circle. Click that, and click "About". This should give you a page with all the settings. Note that your username is not Firstname.Lastname.Year@..., it's your Uni username, e.g. [email protected].

If it rejects your username and password, I had this problem too. It took me ages to work out why! I could only get to it by logging into portal.rhul.ac.uk, then clicking email. It seems that there are problems syncronising password changes forwards to the Live service - i.e., your Live password is still that default original password which was given to you when you first registered for the Uni network. You can change it by logging in to hotmail.com with your uni username (i.e. [email protected]) and that original password, then changing it. Note that you might get issues using the email link on the portal after doing this. It doesn't really matter to me, I just have it all forwarding to my main account.
(edited 13 years ago)
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
I had a few problems with this as well, even when setting up manually in thunderbird. If you can't get it to set up manually using the IMAP settings, add the accound to windows mail (set up manually, windows has trouble detecting its own live email addresses) and then import it in thunderbird.
Reply 3
Original post by lareneg
What year are you in? They've recently moved to the new Windows Live service, which stores all the emails on Microsoft's side and lets you use their Live services - it's basically like having any other Windows Live / Hotmail account, you can even log into MSN with it.

If your email address ends in @rhul.ac.uk, follow these instructions.

If your email address ends in @live.rhul.ac.uk follow these instructions. You can find your POP/IMAP settings by logging in to Outlook Live online. On your mail page there should be a little drop down arrow on the top right under the green circle. Click that, and click "About". This should give you a page with all the settings. Note that your username is not Firstname.Lastname.Year@..., it's your Uni username, e.g. [email protected].

If it rejects your username and password, I had this problem too. It took me ages to work out why! I could only get to it by logging into portal.rhul.ac.uk, then clicking email. It seems that there are problems syncronising password changes forwards to the Live service - i.e., your Live password is still that default original password which was given to you when you first registered for the Uni network. You can change it by logging in to hotmail.com with your uni username (i.e. [email protected]) and that original password, then changing it. Note that you might get issues using the email link on the portal after doing this. It doesn't really matter to me, I just have it all forwarding to my main account.

Seems far too complicated for me. I think I'll just check my mail online now :smile:. Thanks for your help though! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by WokSz
Seems far too complicated for me. I think I'll just check my mail online now :smile:. Thanks for your help though! :smile:

Not really, you just have to find the settings, and if your password doesn't work, change it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending