The Student Room Group

Are people just as likely to wait for their bf/gf/wife/husband/partner these days?

I was wondering, if these days someone decided they wanted to go travelling, or join the army, or do something that took them away for a few years after having pledged their love for someone, what do you think the chances are that special someone would wait?

I was just wondering if our generation is less patient?
In my grandparents generation people did wait. I think my maternal grandfather (my mothers father) was married to my grandmother before the war started, then he went and joined up and fought in Northern Africa, Italy and many other places. My grandmother waited for him and he went home and carried on with life.

If someone were to join up now say, and then go fight in Afghanistan or in the next large scale war or conflict, do you think there is less chance of a person at home waiting for them?
Especially now there are so many more opportunities to people, waiting around isn't as appealing or neccesary to some.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's dead and gone based on what I've seen.
Subjective, but I still doubt it. A majority would've waited in those days, but I don't think as many would in these days.
Reply 3
Can't make a stupid generalisation like that.
Reply 4
In the West? I doubt it. In the rest of the world it is a regular occurence for reasons that I know but cannot articulate. Along the lines of dating being taboo but that's a primitive explanation. :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by F i s
Can't make a stupid generalisation like that.

It's not a generalisation.
Reply 6
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's not a generalisation.

You're asking for one. You can't measure individual loyalty through different time-periods.
Reply 7
I think people are probably less likely to wait now because I think we're more used to having many relationships and to a certain extent, that devalues each individual relationship. Back when your grandparents were young, they might have met when they were about 20, been seperated due to the war, been reunited and got married. Nowadays people are used to dating a lot of people and not getting married til they're much older- so if your girlfriend/boyfriend went away, most people would just move on and find someone else.
Reply 8
I was wondering, if these days someone decided they wanted to go travelling, or join the army, or do something that took them away for a few years after having pledged their love for someone, what do you think the chances are that special someone would wait?

In my grandparents generation people did wait. I think my maternal grandfather (my mothers father) was married to my grandmother before the war started, then he went and joined up and fought in Northern Africa, Italy and many other places. My grandmother waited for him and he went home and carried on with life.

If someone were to join up now say, and then go fight in Afghanistan or in the next large scale war or conflict, do you think there is less chance of a person at home waiting for them?
Especially now there are so many more opportunities to people, waiting around isn't as appealing or neccesary to some.

I guess it would depend on the circumstances - people were conscripted in those days so it wasn't a choice to leave your loved one. However if I was with someone and we were happy and then they decided that they wanted to go off for years I'd be inclined to question whether they really loved me tbh.
Original post by F i s
You're asking for one. You can't measure individual loyalty through different time-periods.

Doesn't mean I am generalising, It's more asking based on todays society compared to society and people 65 years ago or so.
Yes - If I truly loved her, of course. I'd never discourage a partner from travelling, it's the greatest thing anyone can do IMO. I benefited immensely from it.
Reply 11
Id do it for someone i love.

Guys in the army these days have a bold stereotype of being cheats/ sleeping around/ wanting to be free (the few i have met) so god knows it would be silly of me to wait for any of them/declare my love.
I do think it's less likely for people to wait nowadays. I don't think I would stick around if my bf decided to join the army.
Reply 13
Original post by OrangeSocks
I do think it's less likely for people to wait nowadays. I don't think I would stick around if my bf decided to join the army.

Original post by f1re
I think it's dead and gone based on what I've seen.

Pretty much this for me.

my boyfriend and i, we came to different continents for university. its already been two years, and we 'broke up' because we would be in different continents and that we might get together later on. he's dating somebody atm, but im still waiting to see if my love really is true. :smile:
I think the OP is right, these days there is less chance of a person hanging around. I guess because society and values have changed, it's not frowned upon quite so much to go out and have promiscuous sex with different people.

So if people get bored and lonely whilst their loved one is away, it's more likely these days they might have the temptation to not remain faithful.
An interesting relating question would be to see which sex is more likely to move on. We've already had a few girls in this thread say that if their boyfriend joined the army and went off to fight they wouldn't wait for them...hmm..quite sad actually, but as OP says, things have changed I guess.

But which sex is more loyal... girl goes as she's a medic in the front line(no sexism intended, it's just more likely), guy goes as he's a paratrooper...who's more likely to wait..
Original post by joey11223
An interesting relating question would be to see which sex is more likely to move on. We've already had a few girls in this thread say that if their boyfriend joined the army and went off to fight they wouldn't wait for them...hmm..quite sad actually, but as OP says, things have changed I guess.

But which sex is more loyal... girl goes as she's a medic in the front line(no sexism intended, it's just more likely), guy goes as he's a paratrooper...who's more likely to wait..

interesting.
though imo, it is a very individualistic thing. i can be a boy known to be seen with different girls every day and decide to wait for her once ive found who i think is the right one for me. but i might as well be the sweet girl who keeps love on a pedestal, but decides 'naah fu*k it, i cant be arsed'

though if you look at it on a generalised tone, id say boys find it easier to snap out of something.
Reply 18
I'd wait for my partner. He's the man I want to settle down with. I don't think I'd have waited for any of the other people I've dated, although I can think of a couple I felt crazy about.

Of course it's easy to say that when it's unlikely to ever happen! But even so, I'd like to think we'd wait for each other. We'd at least give it a damn good go. That's not to say that we're more in love with each other than anyone else, just that we've pretty much made the decision that we're going to be together, live together and start a life together. Why abandon that just because of a year or two apart?
Reply 19
Me and my girlfriend have to wait a couple years before we can graduate, marry (for a visa) and live together, not really bothered about it because I've never met anyone else I've liked much, so not like I'm missing out in the interim by not dating back home.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending