The Student Room Group

What does the qualificiation mean? Sorry I know it's probs obvious...

I'm looking at degrees on UCAS... I'm a bit confused about the qualifications

3FT Hon BSc I know that's honors but what about 3FT Ord BSc and 2FT Fdg FdSc?

Are they less than honors? What do they stand for?

Sorry for asking silly questions :redface: thanks loads!
Reply 1
Bachelors for science and arts.

Not sure how much it actually matters what they are called though.
Reply 2
3 year full time- full degree

2 year full time- foundation degree, can be topped up with another year so may as well do a full 3 year degree imo

At least that's what I think you're referring to..

You can get a full degree without Honours, I know people who did and I guess they must have failed their dissertation?!

BA- BAchelor of Arts
BSC- Bachelor of Science
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by rahinco
I'm looking at degrees on UCAS... I'm a bit confused about the qualifications

3FT Hon BSc I know that's honors but what about 3FT Ord BSc and 2FT Fdg FdSc?

Are they less than honors? What do they stand for?

Sorry for asking silly questions :redface: thanks loads!

1. 3 year, full time, Honours degree
2. 3 year, full time, ordinary degree - not as good as an honours degree. I'm surprised you can apply for that course, usually everyone goes on the honours course and then if you fail a couple of modules you get an ordinary degree. The norm is definitely an honours degree though, so go for that one :smile:
3. 2 year, full time, foundation degree - so a shorter course, less in depth, you can usually do a 1yr top up course to get these to a full degree.

If you do a foundation degree, you won't be able to apply for jobs which are graduate jobs (ie ones which have a requirement for a degree).
Reply 4
Original post by Tallon
Bachelors for science and arts.

Not sure how much it actually matters what they are called though.

it matters because one (the foundation degree) isn't even a full degree! And the other is a non-honours degree, which isn't as many university credits as an honours degree, so definitely isn't the same.
Reply 5
Original post by angelmxxx
1. 3 year, full time, Honours degree
2. 3 year, full time, ordinary degree - not as good as an honours degree. I'm surprised you can apply for that course, usually everyone goes on the honours course and then if you fail a couple of modules you get an ordinary degree. The norm is definitely an honours degree though, so go for that one :smile:
3. 2 year, full time, foundation degree - so a shorter course, less in depth, you can usually do a 1yr top up course to get these to a full degree.

If you do a foundation degree, you won't be able to apply for jobs which are graduate jobs (ie ones which have a requirement for a degree).

Ahh brilliant, thank u so much!
Reply 6
Original post by angelmxxx
it matters because one (the foundation degree) isn't even a full degree! And the other is a non-honours degree, which isn't as many university credits as an honours degree, so definitely isn't the same.

Sorry, what I said earlier sounds a bit stupid.

I meant between Ba and Bsc. I'd think what uni you went to and what is taught matters more.
Reply 7
Original post by Tallon
Sorry, what I said earlier sounds a bit stupid.

I meant between Ba and Bsc. I'd think what uni you went to and what is taught matters more.

oh right!

Yeah, sometimes BA/BSc can indicate how scientific/mathsy the course is (eg. BSc economics will probably have more maths modules than a BA economics at the same uni, and a BSc geog would have more physical geography modules than a BA geog at the same uni), but Cambridge have a BA Maths because they call all their courses BAs and some unis even let you choose whether they call your degree a BA or BSc or not so it doesn't mean much at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending