The Student Room Group

C3: How to integrate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luuucyx
huumm i knew that :confused: haha
substitution?
all ive been shown are realllyyy simple ones of these...

You could use chain rule, but backwards. That would work!! :smile:

1/a x 1/(n+1) x (ax+b)^(n+1)
Reply 21
Original post by sohail.s
I think im missing something here, help is appreciated, if you integrate x^-1 its not possible is it? you'd end up dividing by 0 ??

Bear in mind i'm still in AS year and studying C2 atm.

sorry my explanation wasn't as clear...integrating 1/x gives you ln x, its a rule u should learn.
Let me know if you get stuck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by mir3a
sorry my explanation wasn't as clear...integrating 1/x gives you ln x, its a rule u should learn.
Let me know if you get stuck :smile:

ah ok, that makes sence thanks, all this will help once i start C3 next year, thanks
Reply 23
Original post by Eloades11
substution is C4 :smile: nice try though

nah ocr its C3...

Original post by Freerider101
You could use chain rule, but backwards. That would work!! :smile:

1/a x 1/(n+1) x (ax+b)^(n+1)

i think i love you, only polite person on this thread haha
Original post by luuucyx
nah ocr its C3...

really? which OCR, im on OCR and I have my C3 exam next month, ive been through 6 past papers and never come across any integration by substitution.

Unless its OCR gateway or 21 century of any other weird OCR thing, in that case ill let you off :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Eloades11
really? which OCR, im on OCR and I have my C3 exam next month, ive been through 6 past papers and never come across any integration by substitution.

Unless its OCR gateway or 21 century of any other weird OCR thing, in that case ill let you off :smile:

hmmm maybe my teachers done it differently? i do c3 and c4 in one block so imnot sure, but i know i do the ocr main one.
i spose im a girl :/ ha
How has this thread stretched to 2 pages...

I think im missing something here, help is appreciated, if you integrate x^-1 its not possible is it? you'd end up dividing by 0 ??

Bear in mind i'm still in AS year and studying C2 atm.

This is equivalent to showing that the derivative of lnx\ln x is 1x\frac{1}{x} because integration is the reverse of differentiation.
Note that ddx[lnx]=limh0ln(x+h)ln(x)h=limh0ln(1+hx)h=limh0ln(1+hx)1h\frac{d}{dx}[\ln x] = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\ln (x+h)-\ln (x)}{h} = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\ln (1+\frac{h}{x})}{h} = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \ln (1 + \frac{h}{x})^{\frac{1}{h}}
Now if you let hx=1u    1h=ux\frac{h}{x}=\frac{1}{u} \implies \frac{1}{h} = \frac{u}{x}.
Therefore we have:
ddx[lnx]=limuln(1+1u)ux=limu1xln(1+1u)u\frac{d}{dx}[\ln x]=\displaystyle\lim_{u\to \infty} \ln (1+\frac{1}{u})^{\frac{u}{x}} = \displaystyle\lim_{u\to \infty} \frac{1}{x}\ln (1+\frac{1}{u})^{u}.

Note that e=limu(1+1u)ue= \displaystyle\lim_{u\to \infty}(1+\frac{1}{u})^{u}
Therefore ddx[lnx]=1xln(e)=1x\frac{d}{dx}[\ln x] = \frac{1}{x}\ln (e) = \frac{1}{x} as required.
Therefore 1xdx=lnx+C\displaystyle\int\frac{1}{x}dx = \ln x + C.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
(2x + 1)/x
goes to
(2x/x) + (1/x)

then integrate

to 2x + in [x] + c

the second one uses the same method....

(2x+1)^2/x^2

goes to

(4x^2/x^2) + (4x/x^2) + (1/x^2)

then integrating you get

4x + 4In [x] - 1/x

simplifies to

4x + In [x^4] -1/x (although this step is probably unnecessary)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sete
(2x + 1)/x
goes to
(2x/x) + (1/x)

then integrate

to 2x + in [x] + c

2x + in

Is the in key the one next to the iog key? :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
How has this thread stretched to 2 pages...

This is equivalent to showing that the derivative of lnx\ln x is 1x\frac{1}{x} because integration is the reverse of differentiation.
Note that ddx[lnx]=limh0ln(x+h)ln(x)h=limh0ln(1+hx)h=limh0ln(1+hx)1h\frac{d}{dx}[\ln x] = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\ln (x+h)-\ln (x)}{h} = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\ln (1+\frac{h}{x})}{h} = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \ln (1 + \frac{h}{x})^{\frac{1}{h}}
Now if you let hx=1u    1h=ux\frac{h}{x}=\frac{1}{u} \implies \frac{1}{h} = \frac{u}{x}.
Therefore we have:
ddx[lnx]=limuln(1+1u)ux=limu1xln(1+1u)u\frac{d}{dx}[\ln x]=\displaystyle\lim_{u\to \infty} \ln (1+\frac{1}{u})^{\frac{u}{x}} = \displaystyle\lim_{u\to \infty} \frac{1}{x}\ln (1+\frac{1}{u})^{u}.

Note that e=limu(1+1u)ue= \displaystyle\lim_{u\to \infty}(1+\frac{1}{u})^{u}
Therefore ddx[lnx]=1xln(e)=1x\frac{d}{dx}[\ln x] = \frac{1}{x}\ln (e) = \frac{1}{x} as required.
Therefore 1xdx=lnx+C\displaystyle\int\frac{1}{x}dx = \ln x + C.

ah ok, cheers, i hope i dont have to remember all that :P
ah ok, cheers, i hope i dont have to remember all that :P

You don't, I was just showing you where it came from.

Quick Reply

Latest