The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Changing course when I get there?

Hey

So I've got an offer, but I'm starting to seriosuly doubt half the course I've applied for (it's a joint course). Does anyone know if it's possible/easy to change courses when you get to Manchester?

I really don't want to take a year out

Thanks!
It depends what course you're on and what you want to change to. Though I believe it's fairly easy to change courses within a faculty, and much harder to change between them.
What courses are you talking about?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by llama-beans
It depends what course you're on and what you want to change to. Though I believe it's fairly easy to change courses within a faculty, and much harder to change between them.
What courses are you talking about?

Possibly from Economics and Politics and Economics and History
Probably, you might even be able to if you contact them in say March when they know how many spaces they have left.
Original post by EnVogue

That should be fine. You could email them now if you wanted to change it and I doubt there'd be a problem.
Reply 5
Original post by EnVogue

Hey is the economics and history programme this one?
http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2010/course/?code=05154

If so then yes it is very easy to change courses. Because Econ+Politics and Econ+History are in the same school and degree stream. They will have similar module choices and options therefore its relatively easy.
I'm doing the Econ+Business studies degree and i just plan to change to just Economics in the second year and people have told me there will be no problem in this since I have already all the similar core modules.
I know someone who changed from Business Studies to Economics and Sociology and now to just Economics.

My advice is just change once you are at the uni if you know you will get the grades to get in.
Reply 6
I changed course.Received and unconditional offer to study American Studies but realised it wouldnt be as useful to me if I had a degree in that. I e-mailed the admission administrator a week ago and now I have firmed modern history and economics :biggrin: The only thing is that you have to satisfy the entry requirements for the course that you wish to change. Im happy that they allowed me to change.
Reply 7
Original post by chanchan
I changed course.Received and unconditional offer to study American Studies but realised it wouldnt be as useful to me if I had a degree in that. I e-mailed the admission administrator a week ago and now I have firmed modern history and economics :biggrin: The only thing is that you have to satisfy the entry requirements for the course that you wish to change. Im happy that they allowed me to change.

Interesting; is that all you had to do?

Do any of guys think that a transfer (post-offer), from Law to PPE would be possible?
Reply 8
Original post by D.R.E

Do any of guys think that a transfer (post-offer), from Law to PPE would be possible?

yeah i think that would be possible, providing you meet the grades/subject requirements
Reply 9
Original post by jabed786
yeah i think that would be possible, providing you meet the grades/subject requirements

Thanks, do you know how I would go about the switch? Do I just email or ring the admissions office and talk to them about it?
Reply 10
Original post by D.R.E
Thanks, do you know how I would go about the switch? Do I just email or ring the admissions office and talk to them about it?

yeah just ring up - you would get a quicker response. I honestly do think they will let you change. im pretty sure someone on tsr changed from BA Economics to Law so I think going from Law to PPE may well be possible.
Reply 11
Original post by jabed786
yeah just ring up - you would get a quicker response. I honestly do think they will let you change. im pretty sure someone on tsr changed from BA Economics to Law so I think going from Law to PPE may well be possible.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 12
It really depends on the uni, some uni have transferring schemes set up to make it quite easy to transfer course.e.g.Nottingham
Secondly, its much more easier to transfer courses within the same faculty.
Reply 13
Original post by D.R.E

yep.

It was quite quick as well. I think it is possible. You need to speak to the administrators soon though. It is better to change prior to the visit days.

Quick Reply