The Student Room Group

Which societies have the best socials..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bubbles0ox
Well ive been accepted into my first choice uni and am revising really hard to try and get in
so assuming i do get in i was hoping of joining the cheerleading society/ club so i can get back into it (haven't done it for a while) and so i can make a few friends and get involved with the socials.

But just out of interest which societies at YOUR uni have the best socials?
or if you're not a uni what unis do you think will

also are any of you thinking of societies you want to join? if so what?

It totally depends on the society, obviously.
But I can give you a few pieces of advice:

The best socials are normally from socities with around 30-40 active members. Too many people and no-one knows each other, too few and you won't get a big enough crowd out.

Societies who organise a lot of practices, and who all practice together as a big group will also have good socials, because everyone will have got to know each other during all the practices.

Mixed sex societies have better socials than single sex societies - single sex societies have to do joint socials with groups of the opposite sex, which means people you don't know, which is less fun.
Reply 21
Original post by py0alb
It totally depends on the society, obviously.
But I can give you a few pieces of advice:

The best socials are normally from socities with around 30-40 active members. Too many people and no-one knows each other, too few and you won't get a big enough crowd out.

Societies who organise a lot of practices, and who all practice together as a big group will also have good socials, because everyone will have got to know each other during all the practices.

Mixed sex societies have better socials than single sex societies - single sex societies have to do joint socials with groups of the opposite sex, which means people you don't know, which is less fun.

thanks for that :biggrin:
Reply 22
So most people are saying sports clubs then?
Reply 23
So most people are saying sports clubs then?

Sports clubs are normally good yeah, but so are lots of others. I would suggest you just go to an introductory events at a load of different societies, both sports and non-sports, and see which ones you think you might enjoy.

There's no point joining a sports club when you hate playing that sport, because its as much through playing the sport with people that you make friends as it is at the socials - and nothing annoys club committees more than people who only turn up to socials and never turn up to practice.
Reply 24
Original post by py0alb
Sports clubs are normally good yeah, but so are lots of others. I would suggest you just go to an introductory events at a load of different societies, both sports and non-sports, and see which ones you think you might enjoy.

There's no point joining a sports club when you hate playing that sport, because its as much through playing the sport with people that you make friends as it is at the socials - and nothing annoys club committees more than people who only turn up to socials and never turn up to practice.

yeah.. good point! - although i do want to join cheerleading because i used to do it and loved it

but i think i defenitly consider other non sports clubs :biggrin:
Law, Rugby, Hockey and Medics.
Reply 26
Original post by lolimemma
Law, Rugby, Hockey and Medics.

Rugby keeps popping up
but im a girl...
does cheerleading do socials with the rugby / amercian football teams?
ive heard it does but not sure
Reply 27
yeah.. good point! - although i do want to join cheerleading because i used to do it and loved it

but i think i defenitly consider other non sports clubs :biggrin:

Well thats a good start. I would also recommend trying your hand at a mixed sport as well, and a non-sport like a film/books/music society, or whatever you're interested in.

Amongst other things, I used to play softball (mixed sport, medium size club, focus on fun) when I was at uni and those socials were like Roman orgies.
Rugby keeps popping up
but im a girl...
does cheerleading do socials with the rugby / amercian football teams?
ive heard it does but not sure

depends on the uni i imagine. we sometimes do socials with the cheerleading lot which can be a laugh.
but to be honest being a girl i'm not sure you'd appreciate the rugby socials in the same way we do! for girls cheerleading is supposedly pretty good, my friends who go to them always enjoy them :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by White Zenith
depends on the uni i imagine. we sometimes do socials with the cheerleading lot which can be a laugh.
but to be honest being a girl i'm not sure you'd appreciate the rugby socials in the same way we do! for girls cheerleading is supposedly pretty good, my friends who go to them always enjoy them :smile:

haha you're probably right
my ex was a rugby player and woud tell me the grossest stories (some were really though) like dirty pints and stuff lol

thanks for the reply :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by py0alb
Well thats a good start. I would also recommend trying your hand at a mixed sport as well, and a non-sport like a film/books/music society, or whatever you're interested in.

Amongst other things, I used to play softball (mixed sport, medium size club, focus on fun) when I was at uni and those socials were like Roman orgies.

Ah! ill defenitly look into it :biggrin: thank you :biggrin:
Reply 31
Why not try women's rugby? The girls can be just as wild as the boys at Durham :biggrin: And cheerleading (certainly at my college) has crap socials IMO, they have one mixed social with men's rugby a year and the rest of the time it's really tame. Hockey is generally quite good and we have mixed socials with the boys fairly often.
Reply 32
Original post by Number6
Why not try women's rugby? The girls can be just as wild as the boys at Durham :biggrin: And cheerleading (certainly at my college) has crap socials IMO, they have one mixed social with men's rugby a year and the rest of the time it's really tame. Hockey is generally quite good and we have mixed socials with the boys fairly often.

i dont think im cut out for rugby lmao im tiny like 7 stone 7 lol :biggrin:

ahh that kinda sucks :frown: ill probably still join though
Reply 33
Ive heard Rugby is good.. but being a girl i wont be joining lol!
im joining cheerleading though hopefully and ive heard the cheerleaders, rugby and American football societies do things together? :biggrin:

Yeah they do! a common one at my uni was pub golf, but it could be any number of themes. obvs depends on the uni etc - another good one would be tennis as thats more likely to be mixed.
Snowsports :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
Snowsports :biggrin:

Watersports :ninja:
im joining cheerleading though hopefully and ive heard the cheerleaders, rugby and American football societies do things together?

As a matter of fact we had a joint social with the cheerleaders like 2 weeks ago, was fun as.
Reply 37
Original post by -Invidious-
As a matter of fact we had a joint social with the cheerleaders like 2 weeks ago, was fun as.

Love it :biggrin:
ill probably join then, along with a few others :biggrin:
Reply 38
Netball!! We have about 30-40 people that go every week. It's awesome!
I notice a lot of people saying rugby. Netball/ rugby kind of go hand in hand :tongue:
im joining cheerleading though hopefully and ive heard the cheerleaders, rugby and American football societies do things together?

There are women's rugby clubs. I joined one after university, it's brilliant fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending