The Student Room Group

Subjects! Help!!!!

If I do Alevels, I am thinking of taking
Maths
Economics
Spanish
Chemistry

I have never done economics before, but in all the other subjects I am predicted A* for GCSE, so do you think I would be capable of taking them for A Level?

Also, is Chemistry a very hard AS course? As I enjoy it, but do not wish to pursue it in the future? Would it be better to do French instead?

Finally, which jobs do you think these A Levels will lead to?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by max25
If I do Alevels, I am thinking of taking
Maths
Economics
Spanish
Chemistry

I have never done economics before, but in all the other subjects I am predicted A* for GCSE, so do you think I would be capable of taking them for A Level?

Also, is Chemistry a very hard AS course? As I enjoy it, but do not wish to pursue it in the future? Would it be better to do French instead?

Finally, which jobs do you think these A Levels will lead to?

Thanks

Never done economics but you're considering it for A-levels. If you want to try it, why not? The idea with A levels is, they can be rather challenging, but as long as you have the dedication...you'll be fine :smile:
I studied AS Chemistry, and I found it somewhat challenging-but that's not to say you will too. If you enjoy it, there's a chance you will do rather well. Why are you considering French? Do you wish to use it in your field in the future?
Maths is a fantastic A level to have! Careers could be: engineering, teacher, working in bank etc. But the question is, what DO YOU WANT TO DO?

hope that helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I am considering French because I am predicted A* for GCSE so its another option for me... and I have no clue what I want to do at the moment!!m
What makes Chemistry so challenging compared with other subjects?
Also, are my other chosen subjects difficult?
Reply 3
Original post by max25
I am considering French because I am predicted A* for GCSE so its another option for me... and I have no clue what I want to do at the moment!!m
What makes Chemistry so challenging compared with other subjects?
Also, are my other chosen subjects difficult?

In that case, do what you feel comfortable with.
If you had an idea of what you wanted to do, then I could have tried to help
For example, if you were considering Engineering,then I'd advise taking: maths, physics and chemistry << uni's love this combo for engineering :smile:

You're predicted grades are fantastic. IMHO the worlds your oyster :smile:

All the best!
Reply 4
if i were to go into the financial sector, which subjects would u recommend?
Reply 5
Original post by max25

Here's something worth reading, hope it helps
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1428143
Reply 6
well, if ur good at chemistry gcse, then (depending on a-level exam board) u should do well in a-level. it's not too hard. but if i were u, id drop maths - unless ur really desperate to take it on and enjoy it. yup, maths is defo the most stressful one i did. then physics.
Reply 7
Most people have told me and now I will tell you. A-Levels is going to be much harder than GCSE. Tell us what you would like to do in the future? Think about it and discuss it with parents and teachers. What are your passions? Do you painting or are you really interested in sub-atomic particles? Find out what you like and what you wouldn't mind studying for the next 6-8 years. A-Levels + University. Chose something that interests you as you don't want to get bored halfway through A-Levels. Chose wisely. Hope this helped
Reply 8
Original post by max25

Financial sector : Maths, Economics, Government and Politics and maybe English. You could take Business and Accounting as well but these subjects are not preferred by many Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest