The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite author or poet and why?

Hi all :smile:

I'm preparing for my Uni interview for English and have decided to explore what makes 'good' literature, according to different people, and why people enjoy literature!

Therefore, here is the question;

Who is you favourite poet/author and WHY?

[You must back up your argument with lots of good reasons and/or examples from their work!!!]

Thanks for helping

xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which period, and favourite in what sense?
in whatever sense you like =)

Somebody who has truly made an impact on you...

...is actually a deceptively hard question! Not sure what I'll say if I get asked it. I'd say my favourite poet is John Betjeman - he may not be as fashionable today as he was in the past, or as structurally/artistically 'innovative' as some of the post-modern poets, but his work is sharp and funny - I think humour is harder to create than tragedy!

Also it's a lot more fun to read.

Slough and In Westminster Abbey are my favourites... and Death in Leamington!

"Oh, chintzy, chintzy cheeriness!"

x
Reply 3
Poets are authors too.
Reply 4
The Metaphysical Poets as a group, and possibly individually John Donne.

The Punks of their day, in revolt against the Elizabethan "Courtly Love" school of expression.

Pithy, to a degree lacking in taste vis a vis the standards of their era.

Their use of humour within their conceits, wordly, literate, louche.

Gone are the comparisons to flowers, in comes the use of a flea to signify the closeness of a relationship.

Initially they were wasted on me, I was, I suspect, too young; in later life their poetry contains some fundamentals of life and relationships, even after 400 years.
Reply 5
The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock is worth reading. About the futility of modern life:
(my favourite line of poetry)
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
Reply 6
Sorry, I intended to add a section on favourite author. This is more difficult as my mood will influence what I read at what time; in effect what hits the mark at that moment.

I have a very soft spot for Dickens. I accept the plotting can be poor, his portrayl of his heroines is sickly and cloying, but his crafting of subsidiary characters is sublime; cartoons via the written word. The barbs of his writing hit the mark time after time.

Read in winter, in front of an open fire, snow falling, they just seem apt.

If I was to name a favourite it would be "Bleak House" ; the fogs of London shrouding Chancery and the lives and histories of the characters.
Reply 7
My favourite Poet is Seamus Heaney, personally speaking :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by the_alba
Poets are authors too.

That's what they think...
I agree about the metaphysical poets, their concepts and ideas were so new and fresh but at the same time hugely powerful - it just goes to show that a new unexpected metaphor can be so much stronger and more effective than a clichéd, overused one!

Is the Lovesong of Alfred J Prufrock by T.S Eliot? That sounds interesting, I shall have to take a look at that one. I have shied off looking at Eliot properly, as I've never studied him in any depth other than amongst anthologies of mixed poems. From what I can gather, though, his poems are incredibly sensuous - "The winter's evening settles down with smell of steaks in alleyways.." or something along those lines =)
Reply 10
My favourite poet - Chidiock Tichborne - has only written one poem (so does he count as a poet?) either way, he still has to be my favourite...I know these aren't exactly considered great literature but i really like sophie hannah and nikki french, they're very readable.
Stephanie Meyer. She's such a talented writer. <333333333333

:333
Reply 12
My favourite author would have to be Jack Kerouac..
I have a big interest in the Beat Generation in general and I feel the way Kerouac captures this drug and jazz fuelled generation is really inspiring. I must have read 'On the Road' about 10 times, and it still spearks the same excitement in me that It did when I first read it.
Unfortunatly Kerouac's other works don't quite live up to the hype of On the Road but I still love his unique,poetic style of writing (even though it has become cliché today...)

"The air was soft, the stars so fine, the promise of every cobbled alley so great, that I thought I was in a dream." :moon:
Original post by .Scout.
My favourite author would have to be Jack Kerouac..
I have a big interest in the Beat Generation in general and I feel the way Kerouac captures this drug and jazz fuelled generation is really inspiring. I must have read 'On the Road' about 10 times, and it still spearks the same excitement in me that It did when I first read it.
Unfortunatly Kerouac's other works don't quite live up to the hype of On the Road but I still love his unique,poetic style of writing (even though it has become cliché today...)

"The air was soft, the stars so fine, the promise of every cobbled alley so great, that I thought I was in a dream." :moon:

That sounds amazing!! I have literally no experience with the beat generation yet =( Kerouac was where I was planning to start my meandering.

Any nice poems you can copy&paste onto here for my perusal?? :biggrin:

x
beat poets I mean x
Charles Bukowski.
Gritty, real, honest.
Reply 16
Original post by xxxfairymaryxxx
That sounds amazing!! I have literally no experience with the beat generation yet =( Kerouac was where I was planning to start my meandering.

Any nice poems you can copy&paste onto here for my perusal?? :biggrin:

x

I wont copy and paste, as its rather long but here is a link to Howl by Ginsberg...:heart:
http://sprayberry.tripod.com/poems/howl.txt
http://www.scribd.com/metaforce

May I just draw the attention of all poetry buffs like myself to this little link?? It's my friend's page, and I think he is a most excellent poet with a unique style, amazing rhythm and... yeah it's just good =) if you click on shelf his work comes up. Juliet's Number is my favourite x
My favourite poet is Paul Laurence Dunbar. I have printed and laminated a few of his poems and have them up around my room, including Dreams and Goin' Back. I think as an individual he was really interesting and his poetry is beautiful. :smile:

My favourite author is Sarah Waters. I've read her novels time and time and time again. I never tire of them. I just wish she could write more. She takes around 2/3 years between each novel - it is simply too long! Her writing style is always amazing, sharp and gripping, although the forms it takes varies - sometimes her stories are told backwards, from one or more points of view, through diaries etc. My username comes from her second book, Affinity, which is about spiritualism and faith. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending