The Student Room Group

which uni is better for film and tv degree??

Hi i'm Francine frm singapore.

I'm currently looking at a few different uni and film schools that provides film and tv degree but i'm not sure which is better and helps more for building a career in that industry. (looking for a more pratical than theorical school)

The schools that i'm looking at are:
- University of Glasgow
- UCoL, LCC
- Aber Uni
- LSFMP
- Met film school
- Queen Mary, UOL

I would love to hear any advise frm anyone about the schools i mention. Especially if there are current students in either of the schools, please let me know if the course benefits you or not. Or if anyone have any other schools to recommend me. I need to appy before end of dec, please help.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TSR is not a fan of Film & Television degrees, get out while you can.
Original post by Ice_Queen
TSR is not a fan of Film & Television degrees, get out while you can.

I agree...
Reply 3
Original post by francinesakura

I'm currently looking at a few different uni and film schools that provides film and tv degree but i'm not sure which is better and helps more for building a career in that industry. (looking for a more pratical than theorical school)

- University of Glasgow
- UCoL, LCC
- Aber Uni
- LSFMP
- Met film school
- Queen Mary, UOL

I would love to hear any advise frm anyone about the schools i mention. Especially if there are current students in either of the schools, please let me know if the course benefits you or not. Or if anyone have any other schools to recommend me. I need to appy before end of dec, please help.

Thanks.

:creep: <OP
Original post by francinesakura

- University of Glasgow
- UCoL, LCC
- Aber Uni
- LSFMP
- Met film school
- Queen Mary, UOL

Thanks.

try either london university or glamorgan university including the list of universities you just said
Reply 5
I'm surprised Bournemouth isn't on your list to be honest...

Arts University College at Bournemouth for Film Production
Bournemouth University for Television Production
Reply 6
Look at Ravensbourne too.
You realise that a "Film and Television" degree will NOT help you get a career in Film or Television right? Just like degrees in "Computer Games Design" are basically useless to get into the CG industry, and "fasion studies" wont help you become a designer.

Study English or another classical subject.
Reply 8
Not a very progressive degree.
Reply 9
Original post by HistoryRepeating
You realise that a "Film and Television" degree will NOT help you get a career in Film or Television right? Just like degrees in "Computer Games Design" are basically useless to get into the CG industry, and "fasion studies" wont help you become a designer.

Study English or another classical subject.

Right, that's why I know people who did Television Production and they are now working at Disney, and other Production companies..

People like you should mind their own business and not put people off what they want to do! Yes a film or television degree won't necessarily mean that one ends up working in Film or Television but it helps and it gives you so many skills, basically I think you're confused between Film/ Television Production where you actually learn practical skills and Film/Television STUDIES where you watch films and write essays.

This forum has a massive problem with these types of degrees, or at least the majority of the people who frequent it do! And a massive misconception between the two types of degrees!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
I am stuck in the same situation, deciding whether to do a business degree or a media based degree. I have only found one degree that has combined the two together at hertfordshire.
Reply 11
May I ask do you have to pay an international fee or home fee?
Original post by Roobsa
Look at Ravensbourne too.

Half my Sixth Form went there.
Original post by aleathiel
Right, that's why I know people who did Television Production and they are now working at Disney.

Yes, that's why it's called a 'Mickey Mouse' degree. :rolleyes:
Reply 14

I have a friend who is doing film studies in London; he's amazing at making short films. Just read a script by him for a long(er) film; superb.
For TV related skills you should also consider Univ of Salford and they have always had strong links with the BBC (many of their lecturers are ex staff) and especially so now the BBC is moving a fair chunck of its operation to Salford.
However, as with the other responses beware, there are so many wannabees and what the cynical industry does is employ them as runners at a pittance until they start to be more expensive then dispense with their services and take a new lot on. You have to be a) very lucky and b) very talented to make it. Sorry.

Snowhere girls Dad who is in the industry
Reply 16
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Half my Sixth Form went there.

Ok.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Yes, that's why it's called a 'Mickey Mouse' degree. :rolleyes:

Right, funny :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aleathiel
Right, that's why I know people who did Television Production and they are now working at Disney, and other Production companies..

People like you should mind their own business and not put people off what they want to do! Yes a film or television degree won't necessarily mean that one ends up working in Film or Television but it helps and it gives you so many skills, basically I think you're confused between Film/ Television Production where you actually learn practical skills and Film/Television STUDIES where you watch films and write essays.

This forum has a massive problem with these types of degrees, or at least the majority of the people who frequent it do! And a massive misconception between the two types of degrees!

I did warn you.
Original post by Ice_Queen
I did warn you.

lol I thought you were warning the OP but ok :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending