The Student Room Group

Sick of this

Hey, well I think I might be depressed. And have been feeling this way for over half a year.

The thing is i WANT to go to the doctors but Im scared that they will tell me I AM NOT depressed. Cause that means that the way I feel is normal. And I have to live feeling like this. Or if they tell me im a hypochrondriac. I just want to got to the doctors and get sorted but Im terrified :frown:

Anyone share any experiences of how they diagnose you?
x

Scroll to see replies

Really, you've got nothing to lose by going to see the doctors. They can help you rationalize what you're feeling and thinking, and even if they don't classify you as depressed, still offer support, whether it be counselling or meds or whatever.

Depression is just a label. If you're not happy living the way you do, you've got to find ways to resolve it, and that involves going to a doc.
Reply 2
Elevate the amount of PhenylethylAmines in your body - its what makes you happy (or happier)

having read about this myself, its made in the body, it requires exercise. Its level can be elevated with chocolate.

Hope it helps. Doctors will be happy to help you trust me!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, well I think I might be depressed. And have been feeling this way for over half a year.

The thing is i WANT to go to the doctors but Im scared that they will tell me I AM NOT depressed. Cause that means that the way I feel is normal. And I have to live feeling like this. Or if they tell me im a hypochrondriac. I just want to got to the doctors and get sorted but Im terrified :frown:

x

No it means you're attention seeking, what qualifications have you obtained give yourself a diagnosis?

Stop attention seeking and grow up.
Reply 4
Original post by Yawn11
No it means you're attention seeking, what qualifications have you obtained give yourself a diagnosis?

Not cool dude....
Reply 5
Original post by elloello19
Not cool dude....

I agree.
Reply 6
Original post by elloello19
Not cool dude....

I didn't say that to be cruel, I said it to give my blunt but honest opinion.

Depression isn't a small issue, but the word is thrown about on this forum so easily on a daily base.

Suddenly everyone's a doctor.
Reply 7
I have (although thank you!) - PEA is what eventually causes the synthesis of serotonin and norepinephrine and other neurotransmitters.

Im only an applicant for medicine but I like reading stuff Im supposed to read in uni :awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Well if you think you may be depressed I would just go to the doctors and speak to them about it. I don't know, I think they over prescribe anti-d's. Once I went when I genuinely was depressed and got given them, once I went and they gave me them but looking back I was just exhausted, not depressed.
When you go to the doctor you can explain how you feel. They will go through a questionnaire with you, which will assess you. It's based on your feelings over the last 6 weeks, have you ever thought about suicide/do you find nothing interests you anymore/have you lost your appetite etc. I don't know the ins and outs of what they do with the results of this, but it classes you as mildly, moderately or severely depressed (or somewhere inbetween I guess, like mild to moderately). They will then talk you through your options. Personally I found the first time I was prescribed them, a better option would have been counselling but they never spoke to me about that.
On a more personal note, having been through it myself, I think you need to see a doctor but also ask yourself why you feel depressed? Are you fed up with something? Can you change it if so? what can you do to improve that situation? Are you upset about something that has happened, can you talk to someone you trust about it and get it off your chest and see if someone else can put another perspecitve on it? Is it just a general feeling of feeling crap and you have absolutely no idea why? Do you eat well, exercise, get enough sleep etc etc?
There are some times in life where it is just total ****. Everything is against you, nobody cares and it feels like there is no point. I think what I'm trying to say is basically try and find ways to make yourself feel better if you can. If something is getting you down try and think of something you can do about it, rather than just wallowing in it. Still see a doctor though, they won't think badly of you at all.
Reply 9
Original post by AlligatorTears
Really, you've got nothing to lose by going to see the doctors. They can help you rationalize what you're feeling and thinking, and even if they don't classify you as depressed, still offer support, whether it be counselling or meds or whatever.

Depression is just a label. If you're not happy living the way you do, you've got to find ways to resolve it, and that involves going to a doc.

Depression isn't "just a label". People only think it is because the term is so loosely applied to anyone, and is usually self-diagnosed. Clinical depression, however, is a chemical imbalance.
H
Original post by Yawn11

Depression isn't a small issue, but the word is thrown about on this forum so easily on a daily base.

It says "might" be depressed. Nothing about them declaring that they "know" they are depressed.
Reply 11
Original post by Yawn11

Well maybe it's used so much on this forum because it's such a prevalent illness!! :angry:

x

Would you like to buy my username off me?

£50 ono, first to see will buy
Reply 13
Original post by Cassandra_Z
H

It says "might" be depressed. Nothing about them declaring that they "know" they are depressed.

No, I read the whole thing. And it goes on to say she wants to be diagnosed with depression ("I'm afraid they'll say I'm NOT depressed"), suggesting that in fact they believe they are depressed. Which to me, just seems like a cry for help.attention seeking, it's a serious mental illness that no one should want. And notice there are no underlying reasons for why he/she is feeling depressed.
Original post by Rosh_123
Well maybe it's used so much on this forum because it's such a prevalent illness!! :angry:

No it's not. The forum and it's anonymous feature allows a vent for mental thoughts and emotions. When some of us are troubled we abuse it to seek advice that is usually useless to us, because none of us are qualified to give advice on such serious illnesses.

The reality is, most of the 'depressed' threads stem from just a bad day or rough patch. In this modern day and age, all the youth believe they are smart enough to self-diagnose themselves, when the truth is you have to go through 5 years of medicine, and further study to make such a claim.

Honestly, I've got a 100's of reasons to claim to be depressed right now, but I'm not a doctor, I know it's a rough patch, and that's life.

Really don't care if people disagree, I'm just being honest, I don't make posts to receive rep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Yawn11

Original post by Yawn11

Says here that you believe they are giving themself a "diagnosis" for being depressed, which is obviously not the case in the first post.

Then you state the following afterwards:
Originally Posted by Yawn11
"I didn't say that to be cruel, I said it to give my blunt but honest opinion.

Suddenly everyone's a doctor."

Depression definitely isn't a small issue, that's why this person is posting a thread on whether to go to the doctor or not and yet you are trying to bash them by saying they don't have the credentials to make a diagnosis on themselves when they clearly didn't do such a thing in the first post.

Also, if I was diagnosed or not for depression I definitely wouldn't want people to know my username. I would want to keep it anonymous as much as possible.

(Please don't think I am trying to be rude. I just think going your way to say such an unnecessary thing that will negatively effect a person will do anyone good.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by yurihammo
Elevate the amount of PhenylethylAmines in your body - its what makes you happy (or happier)

Is that Phenyl amine present in foods? Or just present in particular medication? :smile:
Reply 16
Says here that you believe they are giving themself a "diagnosis" for being depressed, which is obviously not the case in the first post.

Then you state the following afterwards:
Originally Posted by Yawn11
"I didn't say that to be cruel, I said it to give my blunt but honest opinion.

Suddenly everyone's a doctor."

Yeah I said that, what's your point? Because she wants to go to doctor, does suggest that he/she wants a professional diagnosis, but he/she's afraid the doctor will go against her own personal diagnosis.

Which clearly suggests, he/she only wants to see a doctor to make things more official, in my point of view.

Depression definitely isn't a small issue, that's why this person is posting a thread on whether to go to the doctor or not and yet you are trying to bash them by saying they don't have the credentials to make a diagnosis on themselves when they clearly didn't do such a thing in the first post.

If you're ill, it goes without saying you should visit a professional. If you're suddenly having black outs, or are in a sudden intense pain, what do most do? Visit AnE at the hospital or book the earliest appointment possible with their doctor.

This is a STUDENT forum, where very few are in a position to say more than: Hope things get better, go visit your GP.

And I've already explained my reaction, the fact that she does not want a doctor to not diagnose with depression, says otherwise.

Also, if I was diagnosed or not for depression I definitely wouldn't want people to know my username. I would want to keep it anonymous as much as possible.

At which point did I say there was anything wrong with using the anonymous feature?

Yes, they're anonymous, which baffles as that should be more reason to state the underlining cause for the 'depression'.
I give you the last part of your argument since you didnt mention it, but I made my statements very clear if you can't understand it from those I can't really say more to make it clearer... and I'm kind of tooo lazy to really make anything clearer than that.
Reply 18
Original post by T-Toe
Is that Phenyl amine present in foods? Or just present in particular medication? :smile:

Its present in chocolate. I dont know/havent researched medicines that have it..

x

when you find Gods love... problem is solved :smile:

no joke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending