The Student Room Group

Men in the US are being forced to pay child support for kids who are NOT THEIR OWN

This is outrageous.

My question is this:

What about in other countries? What are the laws?

If a woman divorces her husband, and gets child support from it, and it turns out (from paternity testing) that the children are NOT her husband's - is he still forced by the courts to pay child support?

Secondly, are DNA tests illegal in most countries? In France they can chuck your ass in jail if the DNA-testing is intercepted by the government (say, in the mail).
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What country do you reside in? If it turns out that the children are not the father's then he can take it to court and have the child support claim demolished.
Reply 2
Original post by PrimateJ
This is outrageous.

My question is this:

If a woman divorces her husband, and gets child support from it, and it turns out (from paternity testing) that the children are NOT her husband's - is he still forced by the courts to pay child support?

I hope you know your post isn't true. Family law is a state issue, thus it's different in all 50 states. It's still the law in some states, but it is being changed (slowly but surely). Mainly because the law has been super slow to adapt to DNA testing. Particularly with the easy and cheap access to DNA testing sites in the US.
Reply 3
Original post by Cactus_Man
Not necessarily...

Do you know how the process works? or what the rules with child support are?
My birthfather used to pay child support to my mom, but even by trying to research it online, alot of things were still unclear to me.

I should have said something different for my previous post, but I couldn't determine whether it was actually true or not. From discussions with others I've found that some cases the husband is still required to pay if the child was adopted or so? Or the wife is still able to recieve child support since the child used to be under custody of the husband?
Reply 4
Source?
Reply 5
I see. I figured it had a connection to being a father figure if the claim to withdraw from paying child support is denied. Thank you for your response!

Also, I believe they were asking for a source from the OP.
Reply 6
I just wouldn't pay, what they gonna do put me in jail? I'd already be serving a life sentence for killing the lying bitch.
Reply 7
Surely if the "father" is not biologically not the father he can launch a legal bid to get the government off his back and to stop him from paying any more.
Reply 8
The law is an ass.

Anyway, I came here wondering if any of you fine folk about have answers about this. I gather than in many states in the US, this takes place. But what about the rest of the world.
Reply 9
Where did you get this information?

The USA is a litigious country, I can't imagine it would take many cases to get such a law changed in each state.
PrimateJ is clearly itching for a ditzy TSR female to prance in and defend this. Most sensationalist title I have seen in a while.
Hmmm, I would tend to agree that there should be no obligation to pay.
But then again, there are grey areas.
For example, if a couple adopts a child, and then later go on to get a divorce, one party may claim the don't have to pay support because the child isn't 'biolgically' theirs, which is of course unfair.
There are also plenty of fathers who knowingly raise a child who isn't their own. Perhaps from that child's birth it called that man 'daddy'. Is it still the same situation?
I don't think you can put a black-and-white law on this. Biology isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to parenthood.
The important thing in these situations is the child, and what is best for it. If they barely know this 'father/mother figure' then fair enough. If the child and the other party want to remain in eachother's lives, then maybe it might be fairer that there's a contribution, but I think it should be encouraged, rather than enforced.
Reply 12
Original post by PrimateJ
This is outrageous.

My question is this:

If this is true which I believe it is not than that is not fair. If anyone tries to make me pay for a child I have not helped create or even raised then I will be telling someone to **** off as I sincerley doubt I would pay a penny. CSA in our country is flawed. My dad has known a few men who have fallen on the wrong side of CSA a relative I know also fell foul of them. They make it hard for you. One man we know is now homeless and is refused council housing as he is "intentionally homeless" He now sleeps on the street. There is child MAINTAINANCE not Child ROBBERY. What I don't understand is say the woman earns £80,000 after tax and student loan etc....for example and she sprays her child with lavish stuff. Everything is there. A man earning say £30,000 after tax deductions , student loan etc...... He would still have to pay a staggering amount of cash regardless.

We need a review into this.
Men are often the victims when it comes to parental separation.
Reply 14
In France paternity testing is banned - though I've heard others say it's not banned but "regulated".

What's the difference, in this case?
Reply 15
I see I've been voted down - by whom, and for what?
The title is extremely misleading. The law will not force a non biological father to pay child support :lol:

However, if a father has paid child support for 18 years, then finds out the child is not his, it can be difficult for him to successfully sue the mother for his money back. It's not impossible but it is far harder a case to win than it morally ought to be.
Reply 17
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
The title is extremely misleading. The law will not force a non biological father to pay child support :lol:

Wrong.
Reply 18
Some of you seem to studiously misread.

When I said men in the US are being forced to pay child support, I wasn't saying "men in every single state in the US" are being forced to pay child support.
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
Men are often the victims when it comes to parental separation.

I wouldn't say so. I'd say it equal on both the parents parts. The real victims are the children and always will be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending