The Student Room Group

how difficult is FP1 compared to C2?

hey there, I'm close to finishing off C2 and I'm not going to lie.. some of the content does get quite tricky from time to time. I'm also taking f.maths (side-by-side route - C1, C2, FP1, M1, S1, D1).

I hear that FP1 is exactly like C1 e.g. easy concepts, questions asked in a direct manner etc, is this true?

how difficult would you say C2 is compared to FP1?

thanks
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The concepts and knowledge of FP1 are no harder than C2. Although, i would recommend learning C3 before learning FP1.
Reply 2
On EDEXCEL it's only a bit harder in places, the majority of the course is just different maths rather than harder maths.
I did FP1 and FP2 alongside C3 and C4 last year and didn't struggle too much, but I was near the top of my year in terms of ability so that was to be expected.
Reply 3
Original post by markfernando00
The concepts and knowledge of FP1 are no harder than C2. Although, i would recommend learning C3 before learning FP1.

if that is the case I should be fine for my AS f.maths, and I'm pretty sure they changed the fp1 specification so it can be taken alongside C1 and C2.

why should I learn c3? i was told that nearly all of fp1 is new content apart from some repeated topics in more depth from c2 :confused:
Reply 4
FP1 is easy. Very easy.
Reply 5
as the above poster said, its easy

im doing the same route as yoU : C1 C2 M1 FP1 D1 S1

finished C1/FP1 already - easiest maths you'd ever do at a lvl - c2 is not much harder than C1 (seen most of it before since i did additional maths in year 11)

in order of difficulty heres my view (easiest to hardest) C1<FP1<M1<S1<D1<C2
Reply 6
Original post by sohail.s
as the above poster said, its easy

im doing the same route as yoU : C1 C2 M1 FP1 D1 S1

finished C1/FP1 already - easiest maths you'd ever do at a lvl - c2 is not much harder than C1 (seen most of it before since i did additional maths in year 11)

in order of difficulty heres my view (easiest to hardest) C1<FP1<M1<S1<D1<C2

thanks, that's reassuring. I thought I might die in fp1. C2 is the only bad boy I'm sitting this year then :smile:

m1 is a bit annoying, s1 and d1 I can't judge since I haven't seen any of the content yet but from what I hear s1 is easy and d1 is following instructions

thanks for the input everyone, I won't die after all
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
It's easy - I did FP1 before C2, you could pick up what you need as you go along. I got better marks on FP1 than C2, even though proofs are absolutely not my favourite topic.
Reply 8
D1 - C1 - FP1 - C2 - M1 - S1
Easiest <----------> Hardest

That's how I found it when I did it. It's different for everyone though. I'd D1 (despite that being my lowest UMS score of 88) was by far the easiest. C1 was close behind, then a slight gap to FP1 which i'd say was just a little easier than C2 and M1 and S1 weren't hard, just annoying with the examiners loving to put in questions that try to slip you up.

This is how I FOUND it, and won't be the same for everyone.
Original post by chaz1992
D1 - C1 - FP1 - C2 - M1 - S1
Easiest <----------> Hardest

That's how I found it when I did it. It's different for everyone though. I'd D1 (despite that being my lowest UMS score of 88) was by far the easiest. C1 was close behind, then a slight gap to FP1 which i'd say was just a little easier than C2 and M1 and S1 weren't hard, just annoying with the examiners loving to put in questions that try to slip you up.

This is how I FOUND it, and won't be the same for everyone.

What kinds of things do you encounter in decision mathematics?
Reply 10
I did FP1 alongside c4 and tbh I found it hard to get when first taught it but as soon as I got to the past papers, it just got so easy with practice. also i think it depends on the exam board you do cos i know aqa and edexcel do different things in different modules.
FP1 is my favourite module so far! I'd stay its not harder than Core 1/2 but is more interesting :smile:
I am in AS doing Maths and Fmaths. I have done C1 and M1 (exams in jan) and doing C2 and FP1 and M2 at the moment. I think FP1 is quite hard at the moment. Only done Matrices, but its like learning a new mathematical language, so its very different from other core modules, (at the moment).

I can't really make a value judgment as I haven't completed either content wise yet. Just go for it... You only live once..
Reply 13
Original post by Potassium^2
FP1 is my favourite module so far! I'd stay its not harder than Core 1/2 but is more interesting :smile:

Wait until you start FP2. It's so fun and nicely challenging.

Original post by Mr Inquisitive

Algorithms is the simple answer. Google search bubble sort, quick sort, prims algortihm, dijkstra's algorithm. It's basically that.

If you liked doing the puzzles where you have to try and draw something without taking your pen off the paper and weren't allowed to go over lines, you'll like D1. It'll tell you a way to see if it's possible or not.
Reply 14
I did FP1 alongside C2 and thought it was okay, but I wouldn't say it was any easier than C2. That might have been because I only had an hour of FP1 a week though :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by ilyking
hey there, I'm close to finishing off C2 and I'm not going to lie.. some of the content does get quite tricky from time to time. I'm also taking f.maths (side-by-side route - C1, C2, FP1, M1, S1, D1).

I hear that FP1 is exactly like C1 e.g. easy concepts, questions asked in a direct manner etc, is this true?

how difficult would you say C2 is compared to FP1?

thanks

if your finding some concepts of C2 hard, you may struggle with FP1. I did it alongside C3, C4, S2 and M1, and found it very easy. However, it all comes down to personal capabilities.
I found it to be my hardest module - The jump from GCSE -> FP1 is much more severe than the jump from FP1 -> FP2/FP3.

For me, it's the jump which makes it difficult, rather than the actual topic... if that makes sense.
Reply 17
Original post by mir3a
if your finding some concepts of C2 hard, you may struggle with FP1. I did it alongside C3, C4, S2 and M1, and found it very easy. However, it all comes down to personal capabilities.

hmmm not really 'hard' actually, just tricky. And I was told that you can't sit FP2/3 until you have sat C3 and C4, is this true?
Reply 18
Original post by ilyking
hmmm not really 'hard' actually, just tricky. And I was told that you can't sit FP2/3 until you have sat C3 and C4, is this true?

yes thats true, which year are you in? Content in FP3 and FP2 are far beyond that of C3 and C4.
Reply 19
Original post by Mr Inquisitive

Algorithms are a big player in D1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending