The Student Room Group

Kinetics - rates of reaction

So I've got a graph of mass against time and I've worked out the gradient at different points to show that it is decreasing but I don't know why it decreases and I can't explain what's happening.. :s-smilie:
Reply 1
reactants are used up over time? rate of reaction = gradient increase temp or conc or use a catalyst will increase the rate
Reply 2
Original post by boboyt
reactants are used up over time? rate of reaction = gradient increase temp or conc or use a catalyst will increase the rate

I've got that but with the question "what happens to rate of reaction as reaction progresses" - is that really all you say for that? That gradually mire and more reactants are reacted?
Reply 3
The rate of reaction decreases because there are less molecules to react and they'd be harder to find each other because there's fewer of them.
Reply 4
Original post by soup
The rate of reaction decreases because there are less molecules to react and they'd be harder to find each other because there's fewer of them.

this is a good explanation :wink: if there's less molecules to react, less product can form so rate of reaction (rate of reactant usage aka rate of product making) has gota be lower, ryt? its easy when you get your head around it

Quick Reply

Latest