The Student Room Group

help with a level choices pleaseeee!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bino756
My advice is to concentrate on what you want to do your degree in and what you enjoy most. At the end of the day, you ar not going to be teaching A level calculus to primary school children so just do what you are best at and what you enjoy.

Very good advice :biggrin: I suggest the same
Original post by rosieandjim
I'd absolutely ADORE to go to Oxbridge, so I think I'll probably apply anyway. I really like the look of Edinburgh, so that's my second choice, and then Leeds is third. What other Uni's have you looked at?

And Alice (I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Alice is your name O_o :tongue: ) do you know what Uni's you're thinking about yet? You don't have to know now, obviously, I'm just curious :smile:

You both ought to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, written by the same man who wrote The Kite Runner, it's amazing :smile: just throwing that out there

I'm not really sure about other universities as of yet, I'll need to look at some more soon.

And ooh, that sounds interesting; I'll have to pick up a copy soon. :smile:
Original post by Mr Inquisitive

I'm not really sure about other universities as of yet, I'll need to look at some more soon.

And ooh, that sounds interesting; I'll have to pick up a copy soon. :smile:

Definately, definately do :smile: it's one of my all time favourite books, and it's hard to get on that list and stay there :biggrin:
Original post by bino756
I can't recommend Govt and Politics highly enough. I did it along with science amd maths and it was amazing at AS. Can't speak for A2.
If you are achieving B's in science and it is not triple science maybe be a bit wary. I got A*s in all my triple sciences and it was still very challenging
Maths is liked from the perspective of any degree as it show problem solving abilities etc.

My advice is to concentrate on what you want to do your degree in and what you enjoy most. At the end of the day, you ar not going to be teaching A level calculus to primary school children so just do what you are best at and what you enjoy.

thanks:smile: it was triple science i think. well, we did six exams in the three topics
so...

to 'rosie and jim' :smile:
my name is alice, what gave it away? :tongue:
erm, to be honest, i haven't really thought. but, because of close proximity to where i live, brimingham, aston and worcester would be my top choices.
Reply 44
Original post by aliceeeeeeeeee
i would probably do biology because i got an a* and a b in my year 10 exams. mind you, i bet its a bit different! really, i want to do history, english lit and french for definite and i have a bit of an interest in gov+pol but i could take something else. i was considering sociology at some point, is it even worth it?:smile:

Biology is definitely the easiest science as well. There is more to learn than in chem/physics but it is easier (so long as you are good at learning sequences, long words and good detail)

Govt and Politics, I took on a whim, cos I didn't fancy anything else. All I knew was a little bit about politics in N Ireland and I managed to get 100%. And it gave me an interest I never really had before. It's not very difficult and in my opinion it has been the most helpful of all my subjects. I finally can found my opinions on stuff I learn, not on what I think I know and it comes in handy in conversation. It doesn't recquire any work outside of lessons, only revision for exams because in lessons it was just constant conversation which means you pick it all up as it goes along. It all links really well together and gives you a pretty good view of the british system as a whole and a lot is based on the good and the bad points so you get a realistic view of it at the end of the day. (That's just my exp. with it anyway)
Ah, calculus. You should be glad you're not going to be teaching that! :biggrin:
Original post by bino756
Biology is definitely the easiest science as well. There is more to learn than in chem/physics but it is easier (so long as you are good at learning sequences, long words and good detail)

Govt and Politics, I took on a whim, cos I didn't fancy anything else. All I knew was a little bit about politics in N Ireland and I managed to get 100%. And it gave me an interest I never really had before. It's not very difficult and in my opinion it has been the most helpful of all my subjects. I finally can found my opinions on stuff I learn, not on what I think I know and it comes in handy in conversation. It doesn't recquire any work outside of lessons, only revision for exams because in lessons it was just constant conversation which means you pick it all up as it goes along. It all links really well together and gives you a pretty good view of the british system as a whole and a lot is based on the good and the bad points so you get a realistic view of it at the end of the day. (That's just my exp. with it anyway)

Have you got any techniques for Politics essays? I'm getting A's in the ones that I'm doing, but they could surely be improved. :tongue:

thanks:smile: it was triple science i think. well, we did six exams in the three topics
so...

to 'rosie and jim' :smile:
my name is alice, what gave it away? :tongue:
erm, to be honest, i haven't really thought. but, because of close proximity to where i live, brimingham, aston and worcester would be my top choices.

Birmingham is one of the top Uni's, it's in the Russell group (about 20 univesities, inc. oxbridge that are supposed to be the best in the country). You'll figure out more where you want to go when you start college.

Btw, are we being any help at all? It seems like we're just chatting about our courses and telling people what books to read... :tongue:
Yes, Birmingham is definitely up there. It's also relatively near to me, so I'll have to consider that for a Law degree or something.

The requirements for pretty much mainstream universities are rather demanding, I mean, they expect the same entry qualifications as Oxford - and in some cases, higher!
Reply 49
hello:smile: i'm currently in year 11 and am choosing my a level subjects ready for college. i am applying to 5 colleges but there is one im particularly favouring. i want to become a primary school teacher in the future, preferrably to children aged between 4 and 7 but would like to do a degree in a subject i enjoy first and then teacher training later to keep my options open.
so far, i have chosen these choices:

english literature (a2), french, history and government and politics.

considering i am currently achieving B's in science and maths, do you think these choices offer enough variety?
thankyouuu.:biggrin:

Pretty good choices! Although I would recommend you consider taking Maths instead of Government and Politics. It doesn't seem so useful to you now, it certainly didn't for me, but trust me, you need it for everything - and I'd still say this assuming you want to go into a humanities course?
i've just started my AS levels :smile:, so i'll write you some tips that i found helpful when picking my subjects :biggrin:!:

-try and talk to either a careers advisor at school, or somebody who is already a primary school teacher (if you know one!)
-if you can't talk to somebody who is a primary school teacher - get some work experience at a local primary school so then you'll have plenty of oppurtunities to talk to the teachers there, and you can be sure whether this is the career you want to do
.-pick subjects that you are generally interested in - not ones you think universities will want to see, because at the end of the day, you're gonna be stuck studying them for 2 years - which is a long time if you find a subject boring!
-look into the subjects you pick - make sure you know: the topics in the course, if they include any coursework (and if so, how much), etc

also i would consider taking something science or maths based - just so you have a broader range of subjects (e.g. chemistry/maths/psycology) but again, it's your choice!

finally, don't stress about them :smile:! i changed my a-level options about 6 times before i was finally happy, this time next year you could be studying completely different subjects than to what your considering studying now :biggrin:
good luck in your gcses!!
Original post by ShnnyShiz
Pretty good choices! Although I would recommend you consider taking Maths instead of Government and Politics. It doesn't seem so useful to you now, it certainly didn't for me, but trust me, you need it for everything - and I'd still say this assuming you want to go into a humanities course?

Would you say that because of calculus and it's relevance, or the decision side of Mathematics?

Would you say that because of calculus and it's relevance, or the decision side of Mathematics?

but if Alice doesn't to go into maths or science, then isn't taking one of those subjects a teensy bit pointless? I mean, that's why it's compulsary to take maths/science in high school.
isn't she better off taking a subject which compliments her other subjects more? unless, obviously, she really wants to do a maths/science subject
Reply 53
My best friend wants to be a Primary School teacher as well and she's doing English Lit/Lang, Philosophy, German and Photography. It actually doesn't HUGELY matter what you take providing you do well in them and you have an A level in the part of teaching that you want to go into. So if you wanted to be a Humanities teacher, History will be a good one. :smile:
Also, French also looks really good, though (as previously mentioned by someone else) it's horrific; I took it a year early at GCSE and got an A* but AS seems diabolically hard. But don't let that put you off, just an advance warning that I wish someone had given me. D:
you are all being helpful:smile:
- hopefully, i want to do a history degree or something so i suppose that is humanities.
- my mum is a primary school teacher and i did work experience at a school, perhaps i should go back in and ask for opinions from the staff?
Original post by finestory
My best friend wants to be a Primary School teacher as well and she's doing English Lit/Lang, Philosophy, German and Photography. It actually doesn't HUGELY matter what you take providing you do well in them and you have an A level in the part of teaching that you want to go into. So if you wanted to be a Humanities teacher, History will be a good one. :smile:
Also, French also looks really good, though (as previously mentioned by someone else) it's horrific; I took it a year early at GCSE and got an A* but AS seems diabolically hard. But don't let that put you off, just an advance warning that I wish someone had given me. D:

An A*? Wow, hats off to you; that's impressive! :smile:
you are all being helpful:smile:
- hopefully, i want to do a history degree or something so i suppose that is humanities.
- my mum is a primary school teacher and i did work experience at a school, perhaps i should go back in and ask for opinions from the staff?

That would be a good idea :smile: and like its been said, it doesn't hugely matter what subjects you do so long as you do well in them. You don't even have to have a degree in the subject you want to teach, but I'd reccommend you to if you ever wanted to go into teaching in high school or college.

I'm thinking about teaching, but probably in college, and I'm planning to do an English lit degree and then a teaching course, so :smile:
Reply 57
Have you got any techniques for Politics essays? I'm getting A's in the ones that I'm doing, but they could surely be improved. :tongue:

I'm no expert but my general feeling was....

An intro that has some relevant factual info. i.e. in 2007 such a person said such aa thing and since then there has been much..... about whether..... You need an intro, you might as well et some A01/ A02 credit in it.

I wrote mine like a constant debate. Like one point and then argue against it etc while arguing back with new points etc.

Strong conclusion that refers to alot of what you said. Mine where always the longest paragraph where you can waffle a bit about why you cclnsider certain evidences to be more important than others etc.

LOTS of examples!!!!!

Be concise. You don't have much time. I finished my essays literally 30 secs before the end so no chance to read through and I am a fast writer. My writing is small and I used all the space provided on every question.

Tbh, i didn't do too much practice. I was getting between 80 and 90% in class tests and they were the only papers I did. Make sure you know the facts and the examples etc more so you don't waste time thinking of them. I used those things where you remember sentences with the same starting letters about different politicians which then reminded me of examples. I think it was knowing the facts that brought my grades up in the exams as before I wasn't uising too many. Also, I didn't waste any time.
Original post by bino756
I'm no expert but my general feeling was....

An intro that has some relevant factual info. i.e. in 2007 such a person said such aa thing and since then there has been much..... about whether..... You need an intro, you might as well et some A01/ A02 credit in it.

I wrote mine like a constant debate. Like one point and then argue against it etc while arguing back with new points etc.

Strong conclusion that refers to alot of what you said. Mine where always the longest paragraph where you can waffle a bit about why you cclnsider certain evidences to be more important than others etc.

LOTS of examples!!!!!

Be concise. You don't have much time. I finished my essays literally 30 secs before the end so no chance to read through and I am a fast writer. My writing is small and I used all the space provided on every question.

Tbh, i didn't do too much practice. I was getting between 80 and 90% in class tests and they were the only papers I did. Make sure you know the facts and the examples etc more so you don't waste time thinking of them. I used those things where you remember sentences with the same starting letters about different politicians which then reminded me of examples. I think it was knowing the facts that brought my grades up in the exams as before I wasn't uising too many. Also, I didn't waste any time.

Excellent advice, thank you very much. :biggrin:
Reply 59
Yes, Birmingham is definitely up there. It's also relatively near to me, so I'll have to consider that for a Law degree or something.

The requirements for pretty much mainstream universities are rather demanding, I mean, they expect the same entry qualifications as Oxford - and in some cases, higher!

I just got an offer for medicine there. It's an amazing uni in my opinion. well at least the medicine part is. (I know nothing about any other part)

Quick Reply

Latest