The Student Room Group

Best £300 Electric Guitar for beginner.

In all my hobbies i usually excel so instead of buying a cheap ass guitar to start with i want a decent one for around a £300 budget.

I really like the Fender Jaguar but i can't seem to find one in my budget cus they are £600. I can afford it but i don't really want to spend that much on a guitar...even if it is the one i really want.:redface:

Link

Scroll to see replies

You will always look like a **** if you buy a decent guitar and don't know how to play it.

Simply buy a crappy Squier Strat or Yamaha Pacifica for now until you've learned to play it and buy a Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster once you actually know what you're doing. It'll be much more rewarding and you won't look nearly as stupid.
Quality stratocaster/telecaster copy.
Reply 3
A Yamaha Pacifica is probably your best bet.

And you're usually better off splashing out on a decent amp before an amazing guitar.
Reply 4
No-one is going to see me play and i don't really understand why i'd look silly playing on a decent guitar. That makes no sense whatsoever. As a beginner i'd look silly on any guitar. The reason why i want a decent one from the start is because i don't want to buy/ swap and change between more than one and i will become good on the guitar so it will save me time and money.

@Keckers I don't really like the look of the Yamaha Pacifica or the body style.
I'm agreeing with Keckers. I started off with a crappy Marshall Rocket Special guitar, but it came with a Marshall MG 15 amp which wasn't bad at all for what I needed so it was pretty good. Then I got my Stratocaster and it sounded better but not great. Sold the Marshall and got a Roland Cube 30x and it sounds way better than the Marshall.

Never forget the amp in your budget. Cheap amp+expensive guitar still can result in a cheap sound.
Reply 6
Epiphone Les Paul 100 :wink:
Reply 7
As for Amps what are those Orange one like?

Also ok if i done a revision on the guitar for an Arctic White Squire with a decent Amp and got a Jaguar later on?
Reply 8
Original post by Hooj
In all my hobbies i usually excel so instead of buying a cheap ass guitar to start with i want a decent one for around a £300 budget.

I really like the Fender Jaguar but i can't seem to find one in my budget cus they are £600. I can afford it but i don't really want to spend that much on a guitar...even if it is the one i really want.:redface:

Link

The quality of an electric guitar does matter, but the amp is equally - if not more - important. I play flamenco, classical and metal; electric guitars can be pretty poor if the amp is good. It's not like a classical guitar, where every nuance is crucial to the sound.

Either way, for £300, you could get a decent Ibanez, Jackson, Epiphone (a very good choice), a squire or a second hand guitar.
Squier telecaster maybe?
Sorry to hijack but could any of the guitar experts tell me what is the cheapest I could get a "good" amp for? Just for bedroom playing btw.
Reply 10
Pacifica + A Cube 30 amp. Will be under £300 combined, and will still sound good. The Pacifica can easily be upgraded too (pickups, adding a killswitch, new neck etc) with ease.

Even Matt Bellamy used to use one. :wink:

Seriously, DON'T buy an expensive one at the start. A Pacifica sounds good (and not just for the price, it just sounds GOOD), is easy to play (for me, the neck isn't too fat) and is cheap.

ALYWAYS try a guitar before you buy it. Don't go on looks and DON'T ORDER ONLINE unless you know how to set it up PROPERLY. Go to a local guitar shop (not Dawsons or some **** like that) and they'll set it up right, and you can always haggle with them and get some money off (or a free case or something).

If you spend more than £250 on a first guitar, you're a fool to be honest. If you buy it without trying it, you're an idiot. Make sure you aren't either of them :wink:.
Reply 11
Original post by buyingtheticket
Squier telecaster maybe?
Sorry to hijack but could any of the guitar experts tell me what is the cheapest I could get a "good" amp for? Just for bedroom playing btw.

Roland Cube. £99 and very good. I use one.
Reply 12
Original post by buyingtheticket
Squier telecaster maybe?

I have a Roland Cube 30, and it's great I think. Good variety of sounds, not as good on the cleans as a Orange Crush (or on a light overdrive setting), but for modelling it's good.

The Orange Crush 15R is great for the price, fantastic cleans and a nice drive sound. Depends what you play really, but I'd try them both out in music shops, they're great value :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by neillya1
Pacifica + A Cube 30 amp. Will be under £300 combined, and will still sound good. The Pacifica can easily be upgraded too (pickups, adding a killswitch, new neck etc) with ease.

Even Matt Bellamy used to use one. :wink:

Seriously, DON'T buy an expensive one at the start. A Pacifica sounds good (and not just for the price, it just sounds GOOD), is easy to play (for me, the neck isn't too fat) and is cheap.

ALYWAYS try a guitar before you buy it. Don't go on looks and DON'T ORDER ONLINE unless you know how to set it up PROPERLY. Go to a local guitar shop (not Dawsons or some **** like that) and they'll set it up right, and you can always haggle with them and get some money off (or a free case or something).

If you spend more than £250 on a first guitar, you're a fool to be honest. If you buy it without trying it, you're an idiot. Make sure you aren't either of them :wink:.
I know to try a guitar and i've already said why i would want to buy a decent guitar right off the bat.

Note: People please read before posting. I'm not just buying a decent guitar for the sake of it i will get better on a guitar as with all my hobbies which is why i'd much rather cut to the chase if i can.
Reply 14
Original post by Hooj
As for Amps what are those Orange one like?

Also ok if i done a revision on the guitar for an Arctic White Squire with a decent Amp and got a Jaguar later on?

I personally hate Squire guitars unless it's a Classic or Deluxe:

Classic

Deluxe

The cheap Squires are a bit nasty really.
Reply 15
Original post by Hooj
I know to try a guitar and i've already said why i would want to buy a decent guitar right off the bat.

Note: People please read before posting. I'm not just buying a decent guitar for the sake of it i will get better on a guitar as with all my hobbies which is why i'd much rather cut to the chase if i can.

You do realise that is incredibly arrogant?

Seriously, there's a reason everyone here is saying start with a cheap guitar. You'll sound just as good on that as an expensive one at first, the extra cost is useless.

If you're getting a £300+ guitar you're going to want a decent amp too so you're looking at £500+ just for starting.

There's no certainty that you'll be good at guitar, what's to say you won't give it up? If you want to waste money then feel free, but people here are giving you this advice for a reason.
Buy a crap one first, most people who try to learn to play the guitar give up pretty soon. Get yourself a cheap Epiphone, Yamaha or a Squire.
Reply 17
Original post by neillya1
You do realise that is incredibly arrogant?

Seriously, there's a reason everyone here is saying start with a cheap guitar. You'll sound just as good on that as an expensive one at first, the extra cost is useless.

If you're getting a £300+ guitar you're going to want a decent amp too so you're looking at £500+ just for starting.

There's no certainty that you'll be good at guitar, what's to say you won't give it up? If you want to waste money then feel free, but people here are giving you this advice for a reason.

I'm not trying to be arrogant, i am just saying it's something i want to learn properly and when i want to learn something properly i make sure i do and i eventually end up being proficient. I don't really want to buy a cheap guitar only to buy another one just cus i got a little better. I just want one decent one and keep it till it erodes.

I know it's advice but i said why i want a decent one before-hand so if you could all just stop A-B repeating the same thing over and over that would be nice.
Reply 18
Buy something half decent like a Squier/Crafter/Yamaha - not too cheap otherwise you'll hate it because the guitar is crap and you'll think you're crap. However not too expensive to avoid looking like a fag. Personally, I had a crafter for about £160 when I started. After a couple of years I upgraded, then a few more and I upgraded again. All fun :smile: Another big problem with getting an expensive first guitar is the playing style. It wasn't until a couple of years in that I really knew which guitars suited me best in terms of feel and tone and it would've been pointless spending a lot of money on something I wasn't really sure about. Like many teenagers I went through the whole OMG METAL YAY METAL phase so my second guitar was a crappy BC Rich thing which, looking back, was a huge waste of money. Anyway....

EDIT: I should mention my first guitar was the cruiser cj400 (sounds faggy) and I wish I hadn't got rid of it. You can get them for like £100 now which is a ridiculously good price. Just making the point that you can still get something that plays well for a low price.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
If you're a beginner you probably won't know the difference between a starter guitar and a high quality one.
You really are best getting a starter kit for £200 or so then after a year or two getting something quite a bit better if you still play and are improving nicely, maybe get a real strat rather than a squier or something.

Quick Reply

Latest