The Student Room Group

A compliment or an insult?

I recently went to Cyprus with my best male friend (I'm female) because we both wanted to go on holiday and it was cheap. We've been friends for about 4 years and nothing has ever happened between us.

I recently had a snoop on his facebook and I found this conversation between him and his mate and I'm not really sure how to take it. Something along the lines of:

his mate- hi mate, did you enjoy your holiday? did you get with that girl in the end?

my friend- nah managed to resist thank god lol

his mate- just seen the girl (referring to me)

my friend- and?

his mate- good job on resisting that fine piece of meat

my friend- thanks

now how the hell do i take this?? I'm not amazingly good looking but I don't think I'm a complete munter either. And it's not as if I can really confront my friend about it either as I shouldn't have been on his facebook!
Reply 1
Give him some ass.

Anyway what makes it suggest it's about you? Did they say your name or something?
Reply 2
What's the problem? If you like him, get with him. If you don't just don't do anything?!
Reply 3
Why would someone (or two people including his friend) finding you attractive be an insult? He's obviously afraid of messing up your friendship if he were to make a move and you didn't like him back, but I don't see how that'd turn it into something negative...?
Reply 4
But are they not just being sarcastic? Like why did he have to say 'managed to resist thank god'. As I said I'm no supermodel.
To me it sounds more like they think you are attractive but knew it would be a really bad idea to get with you. Like maybe he has a gf or is straight edge or something :hahaha:

The other side of it would be if he thought you were like after him and always trying it on and chasing him about and he whinged to his mate that on holiday you were going to pounce.

Get his mate drunk and bring up the topic of people presuming you and your friend are getting it on because you went on holiday together (even if no one actually thinks it, it sounds believable enough that someone random might) and watch him spill it all!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Stop looking for compliments from us on how obviously hot you are.
He might not have even been talking about you :rolleyes: I often mention two seperate questions in one sentence to people.
And stop snooping on your friend's facebook.
I think it clearly shows that your friend doesn't want to do anything with you for whatever reason, while the other guy thinks you are awesome looking. That's what I would interpret it like.
I think he fancies you but is afraid of messing things up with you .... give him some time,...
and if you like him, just get with him.. :smile:
pics or gtfo
Original post by Anonymous
But are they not just being sarcastic? Like why did he have to say 'managed to resist thank god'. As I said I'm no supermodel.

"Managed to resist jumping on her, thank god or she'd never speak to me again" and then proceeds to make a stereotypical thread on thestudentroom about how much his life sucks because he's totally in love with a girl who'll never like him back, is pretty much the way it comes across to me.

In future, if you can't handle things like this, let it be another good reason why you shouldn't peak at someone's private messages
Reply 11
I loled:
...good job on resisting that fine piece of meat

Anyways, guys only make friends with girls on the premise that they are hot (in their opinion). They always try and get with them but if they fail even ever so slightly they just stay friends. This guy wants to try and will probably try again until you do something friends-zoney.

These sorts of guys should be friend zoned automatically cus he doesn't seem to want to be buddies with you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
We can't know if that was sarcastic or genuine when we don't know what you look like. Plenty of comments can be sarcastic or genuine. Sarcasm wouldn't exist if there wasn't an opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending