The Student Room Group

Is it normal not to respect the attractive?

Scroll to see replies

I meant is it normal not to give extra respect to an attractive person.
Reply 21
Original post by rajandkwameali
In our society, we look up to those who are good looking. But is it normal/usual not to respect somebody more because they are good looking/attractive? Is it only a minority of person who do this?

Is it normal for rajandkwameali to make boring pointless threads?
:colondollar:
whatever, i don't need anyone's permission/consent to post.
Yes its a known theory:

look up the Halo Effect
Original post by rajandkwameali
In our society, we look up to those who are good looking. But is it normal/usual not to respect somebody more because they are good looking/attractive? Is it only a minority of person who do this?

As a rule of thumb, it's a bad idea to 'disrespect' anyone - unless they are rude, crazy, or break the law.
Reply 25
Not really, most people are much more likely to be drawn to people they are attracted to or would like to emulate. And pretty much everyone wants to be attractive.
Doesn't mean it should happen.
Original post by Cassandra_Z
Why exactly is being attractive a reason not to respect a person? This shouldn't be a factor on whether you respect someone or not. It should be on their morals, achievements, what they have done for you, etc.

No it shouldn't.
Original post by Anonymous-
No it shouldn't.

What is your reasoning behind your statement?
attractiveness is neither here nor there when it comes to respect. However I do think there are times when very attractive people can have their intellect questio without any basis for it, this happens more with females. Basically the dumb blonde stereotype.
What is your reasoning behind your statement?

What is the reasoning behind yours?
Original post by Anonymous-
What is the reasoning behind yours?

Lol, the reason why I choose to respect someone through whether they have morals, what their achievements are, or what they have done for me is because of the obvious:

.. I choose to respect a person if they have morals because they are not trying to do others wrong and be cruelhearted or anything similar to that
.. I choose to respect a person through their achievements like graduating from school, contributing to the community through volunteer work, etc. because they have worked hard to get to their goal or because they are trying to help others
-- I choose to respect a person for whatever (positive) action they have done for me because when they didn't have to be nice to me and what not, but still chose to do so anyways.

But I'm not saying this is an absolute basis of whether a person should be respected or not. This is just what I go by and what I believe in.

By the way, answering a question with a question doesn't do anyone any good. I'm just asking for your input thats merely it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by naomidawn
Sometimes it's just not nice to look at really really ugly people.

gurl das a harsh ting 2 say 2 urself dun u fink? dunno xxxxx
Lol, the reason why I choose to respect someone through whether they have morals, what their achievements are, or what they have done for me is because of the obvious:

.. I choose to respect a person if they have morals because they are not trying to do others wrong and be cruelhearted or anything similar to that
.. I choose to respect a person through their achievements like graduating from school, contributing to the community through volunteer work, etc. because they have worked hard to get to their goal or because they are trying to help others
-- I choose to respect a person for whatever (positive) action they have done for me because when they didn't have to be nice to me and what not, but still chose to do so anyways.

But I'm not saying this is an absolute basis of whether a person should be respected or not. This is just what I go by and what I believe in.

By the way, answering a question with a question doesn't do anyone any good. I'm just asking for your input thats merely it.

Why not?
It's termed by psychologists the reverse halo effect, and is common among bitter unattractive folk like us. :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by battyboybetterknow
gurl das a harsh ting 2 say 2 urself dun u fink? dunno xxxxx

Haha, sorry, I just mean genuinely really aesthetically unpleasing people, not just ones not deemed attractive by society
Reply 35
Of course its normal to look up to us, we are just really good looking, and so you MUST respect us...
No, that's not normal, weirdo.
Reply 37
This reminds me of my AS media class where we were analysing a magazine cover and lots of people were saying "this is a positive representation because she's sporty but still pretty and feminine" and our media teachers were like "wtf is the matter with you? Why does being pretty automatically make you successful?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending