The Student Room Group

Does anyone else look OBESE in photos???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

Pos-repped for excellence in the field of LMAO
Reply 21
Original post by M Loy is God
Maybe because you are a tiny bit fat/ if not obese?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell :redface: No, I am not fat. But I do seem to appear "swollen" at times. I think I am not photogenic AT ALL. I'm the type who always seems to have been caught with part of the face shining from sweat, or grinning like a mong, or with mouth open mid-gormless-gawk, sitting in a manner no lady should sit............... whereas I don't spend the majority of my time 'in that moment' i.e. I don't look like that!!!!

Wondering if that happens to anyone else :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by Johnny Christ
Maybe smiles in the street are suppressed laughs?

You wound me, Johnny Christ!
Reply 23
You can't look obese your either obese or your not!
It's like people that say do I look fat in this no you crazy woman you just fat in general stop blaming clothes!!!
Yeah, man, I ALWAYS look obese in photos :frown:

Oh, wait - that's cos I am obese. Oh well.
Lose some more fat then:smile: Simple as that. Winter is good time to lose fat before the new year:biggrin:
No worries, I have the same issue. I'm a size 6/8 with a healthy BMI so I'm not overweight, but I have to be very careful about how I position myself toward the camera. Same with my face, one side is not photogenic at all. You need to work out what angles work for you. (E.g. if you are looking up at the camera you will get a double chin).

The camera isn't always accurate, some people are more photogenic than others, you just need to work out what angles are your most flattering.
Original post by Ewan
Actually they're not, in fact in most cases they are very inaccurate.

I think you need a new camera.
Nah I know exactly what you mean. I look about 3 dress sizes bigger in photos than what I actually am.

Tis depressing :yep:
Reply 29
Original post by i.am.lost
I think you need a new camera.

Not really, if you compare what you see with your eyes and what you see through a camera lens (by that I mean the printed picture) the two can be very different (unless you own a very good camera and the lighting is good). Lighting drastically affects contrast and colours which in turn affects skin tone etcetera. Someone will look a lot prettier in a photo taken using an good DSLR compared to a cheap compact for instance (assuming same conditions).

Of course the outline will still be the same, but then you also have the typical "fat girl angles" :p: Some angles give the impression you're fatter or thinner than you actually are. This is only visible in photos because the image is 2D, you don't experience the same effect with your eyes because you view things in 3D (perhaps obvious but worth mentioning).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Ewan
Not really, if you compare what you see with your eyes and what you see through a camera lens (by that I mean the printed picture) the two can be very different (unless you own a very good camera and the lighting is good). Lighting drastically affects contrast and colours which in turn affects skin tone etcetera. Someone will look a lot prettier in a photo taken using an good DSLR compared to a cheap compact for instance (assuming same conditions).

Of course the outline will still be the same, but then you also have the typical "fat girl angles" :p: Some angles give the impression you're fatter or thinner than you actually are. This is only visible in photos because the image is 2D, you don't experience the same effect with your eyes because you view things in 3D (perhaps obvious but worth mentioning).

Hmmm I never thought about it in that way! The bottom line is, I know I am smaller than how I appear in photos. Trust the mind to play tricks. That and my general lack of photogenicity (is that even a word??) in long-shots, and even more lacking posing skills ._.

Thanks for the info :biggrin:
Reply 31
OP, you sound kind of awesome, regardless of the photographic obesity.
Reply 32
OP, we really do need a pic about now
Reply 33
yes because i am
Original post by Ewan
Actually they're not, in fact in most cases they are very inaccurate.

An image captured objectively is definitely inaccurate compared to one seen with the subjective filtering of the human mind. Whilst a single photo may capture you in a stupid pose (blinking, mouth half open, whatever), a few of them will show what you really look like.

If you look bad in photos, you look bad. Simple.

Note: Beware of people with all photos taken at one angle. That mythical good angle belies what they really look like, and they have capitalized upon that

Reply 35
this is nice....blame it on the camera...
i hate the way i look in pics most of the time
I know EXACTLY what you mean; I must kid myself every time I look in the mirror. Usually I think I look ok before I go out, then see photos and am like ughhhh.
It's only through looking at photos I realised I needed to lose some weight! Scary how deluded I was, really :s-smilie:
Photos tend to be inaccurate and can distort images since they are 2D.

A mirror is far accurate than a photo and is three dimensional. Although, it is reverse and your minds plays tricks...
You're not alone.
I feel that too. When i see myself in a photo, im like, why do i look fat here and then not fat in the other photo? When in real life im tiny and skinny?
Also, in other photos i look taller. :mmm: Which is good. haha
We really need to work on our best angle OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending