The Student Room Group

What is one act of kindness that you recieved from a stranger?

So, I am just curious about the followin question:

What is one act of kindness a complete stranger did for you that you can never forget?

I'm not talking about opening the door for you. I want to hear things like they-saved-my-life situations, doesn't even have to be that extreme though. I also want to know why it has been something you can't forget. Thank you! :h:

Scroll to see replies

Stuck in York because I dropped £10, someone gave me £5 for the train. <3
Someone on the street gave me a rose. No reason for it, just came up and gave me a rose.
Reply 3
nothing :sad:
Reply 4
I once got racist comments shouted at me from a pretty aggressive older man while waiting at a cash point & everyone in the queue started arguing with him. It was pretty funny.
I woke up an hour late and got to the train station and missed my train by one minute - the lady at the ticket desk saw I was upset and let me get on the next train with the same ticket, saving me £50. She said it was because she got up late that morning too. No one has ever done anything like that for me before. :love:

Edit: Thinking about it, my car broke down in the middle of a busy road a few months ago when it got really hot (kind of missing that weather now! :frown:) - a group of boys walked past, they must have been 19, and they helped me stop panicking and get my car to the side of the road and sat with me til my dad came and rescued me, that was really sweet. :smile: No idea who you three are, but I am eternally grateful! My car broke down again about half an hour later on a roundabout while we were trying to get it back to my dad's work - sadly the boys didn't appear but still. :h: It was so embarrassing, blocking up the entire town on a Friday afternoon at rush hour and people were travelling to get to a music festival for the weekend. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Paramedics put up with a frankly inhuman amount of ****.
Reply 7
I was 12 and i was about to get mugged for my brand new phone at a bus stop and i was hitting them with the 'come on guys, my mom gave this to me!' and what not. They didn't care. Then, this huge ass black guy just came over, told them to '**** off' and then told me how i should always stand my ground. I'll never forget that man and wherever he is, i hope his cash flow is commendale.
Reply 8
I was on a train that got technical problems and was in the station for an hour, then I was going to miss my connection and a group of lovely students offered me a seat in the taxi they were going to share. It was about 40 quid but they told me I didn't have to pay anything. I was so grateful, otherwise I would have been stuck for ages! :redface:
Reply 9
A large group of late teens (at the time) protected me from my 3 random black girls who were bullying me and my siblings (physically), those bullies were older than us

They gave me a broken bottle, just encase the bullies wanted to start some more trouble.

If they weren't there/didn't take interest in us. They might have really beaten us up.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
As a child, once on a school trip to York, I got separated by the rest of the group (my own stupid fault) and I started crying in front of York Minster and a kind man helped me to find the rest of the my group. :grin:

That's pretty much really.
(edited 13 years ago)
I was attacked once for no reason (it happens a lot where i live) and was getting a pretty heavy beating with planks of wood. It was in a long street and 3 cars passed but didn't stop, I also saw people peering out their windows but did nothing. Anyway after struggling against the 3 thugs I managed to get to my feet and knock one down and started running, they chased me, as i got to the top of the street a stranger who was walking his dog (rotwieler) ran down to help me and we both chased them away. Apparently he had seen it from the top of the hill and said he would have got their quicker if he could run faster. He even let me in his house and then took me to hospital.
When on a full train in the evening, my mum and i had to sit on the floor. A few minutes in, a man got up and stood for the journey so we could have a place to sit.
nothing, nothing at all
Original post by SatanIsAwesome

Original post by SatanIsAwesome
Stuck in York because I dropped £10, someone gave me £5 for the train. &lt;3

Original post by lonely14
As a child, once on a school trip to York, I got separated by the rest of the group (my own stupid fault) and I started crying in front of York Minster and a kind man helped me to find the rest of the my group. :grin:

That's pretty much really.

yay for random acts of kindness in york :p:
Original post by RoshniDiya
When on a full train in the evening, my mum and i had to sit on the floor. A few minutes in, a man got up and stood for the journey so we could have a place to sit.

Oh yeah you reminded me of the time I had to run for the train, got it 30 secs before it left and it was really packed. I was out of breath so I stood their puffing like a horse, then this random man gave me his seat! Why does all my kindness happen on public transport? :tongue:
EDIT: Oops, didn't realise it was for strangers! :getmecoat:

In the summer holidays my parents had gone on holiday and I had to stay back because I had some important matches to play for my club. So it was me on my own at home, which I'm fine with but I'm useless with cooking, laundry, taking care of myself, taking care of my pet dog etc.

My girlfriend had been to Italy for 2 months to visit family but surprised me by coming down to live with me for 2 weeks, all so that I'm well looked after and stuff. I thought that was really sweet, she said it was worth it if it meant I have good home cooked meals on time :o:

love that silly girl :love:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I was on the train coming back from London and there were no free seats so a lot of people were standing including me and my bf. I was exhausted, I couldn't keep myself up so I was leaning against my bf and kind of falling asleep. But this man that sat on the seat by the aisle stood up and gave me his seat. :biggrin: I was very grateful! I hope he is having a good life! xXx
nothing, hopefully ill be able to give random acts of kindness in the future.
Reply 19
In San Francisco this summer I was walking along in Union Square and a random twenty-something year old man stopped me just to say 'Hey, excuse me, don't take this the wrong way, but I saw you about ten minutes ago and I just wanted to say you look really pretty today.' And then flashed a gorgeous smile at me and walked off. And he was neither pervy nor creepy. So that made my day (:
But then again that's California for you. We give Americans a lot of stick but they're some of the nicest people ever.

Oh and a Belgian guy overheard me saying in a service station that I wanted a hot chocolate but had left my money in my bag and he bought me one. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest