The Student Room Group

I got a 3rd in my degree : (

I really don't know what to do, I got a 3rd in my degree last year and didn't even go to graduation because I was so ashamed of myself.
I studied a foundation degree in business which I passed and then completed a top up year. My result was actually a shock because I mainly got 2:2 or above for most subjects but because I only just scrapped a pass on my dissertation it brought my overall grade right down down.

I really want to study another degree e.g. Marketing Management because i'm more so interested in this topic and want to prove to myself that I can change the overall result. I need to know if I would be eligable to move 240 of my credits from my foundation degree to complete a top up year for another degree and if so how much will this cost me, how can I find this out?? More importantly will LEA fund me for another year?? Is it going to cost me £3000 x2 just because I already have a degree??

My friend talked about converting my degree to another degree but again how do I go about this??? I really want to try and sort this out before the fees go up!!! Can someone please help me!!?? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably best you give up, my friend.
relax a degree is still a degree, congratulations... If you get some experience too or maybe study an extra year I'm sure you could find a way onto a Masters...
Reply 3
Thank you for the support!!! I just need to work out my next step.. : )
Studied 2 degrees and on both occasions ended up with a 3rd? . . Well Carol Vorderman got a 3rd from Cambridge and she seems to have done alright for herself. If you're desperate to achieve a good degree, then go for it. End of the day you've got a degree, which is still an achievement in itself. And im pretty sure there will be some way of getting around your situation. :smile:
Reply 5
You will not get any financial support to do a second degree like Marketing Management, and I would generally rule out doing this unless you are leaking cash from every orifice. As you already have a degree, that makes you an ELQ candidate (i.e a person that already has the qualification that you are applying for) which makes you liable for much higher tuition fees. To take just one uni's fees as an example, Essex charges around the £3,200 mark for most degree courses. However as an ELQ candidate it is around the £6,600 mark. Different unis will charge different amounts but the point is that it's generally a lot more expensive doing a second degree and as I say, you aren't eligible for support from your LEA. As for conversion degrees - these are one year courses (sometimes two) that, again, you will not get any financial help for. They generally require a 2.1 (exceptionally less than that if you have experience) and are limited to subjects like law, psychology and social work. There might be MA's you can do in the topic you're after but again, they generally require a 2.1 and/or experience, and cost a lot.

You ask about transferring your credits. It's worth e-mailing a uni that you would be happy to attend and asking them this question. However my strong hunch is that, if you are awarded a degree, which you were, you can't then use those credits to go towards another degree, because the units you have studied cannot count for more than one qualification, if you see what I mean.

If you don't have lots of money, if I were you I would concentrate on getting a job and some experience. Getting a third is not the end of the world and you can have an immensely successful career without it. If, once you are working, you still feel that you want to complete a degree to prove to yourself you can do it, then studying for one maybe part-time alongside your job might be option. I know tuition fees are going to be a lot more by then, but I don't see anyway of being able to afford going back to uni again full-time for three years without having buckets of cash on you. Believe me, I tried!

Edit: Might be worth having a ganders at uni's that concentrate on part-time and adult higher education, like the OU and Birkbeck. Because they tend to have a lot of ELQ students compared to other uni's, they seem to have funding available that reduces the tuition fees for some courses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
A 3rd is still good, a degree is a degree and you are now officially a graduate. After your first job, with experience, you no longer require to put your degree class down, you can just put down the title and where you studied. Experience will be the main thing employers look for after your first job.
Original post by DancinBallerina
Well Carol Vorderman got a 3rd from Cambridge and she seems to have done alright for herself.

Yeh but Carol Vorderman is clever, she probably got a 3rd because she spent all her time taking one from the top and two from the bottom.
Reply 8
Wow virtually all you guys have been so supportive!! I wish you all a prospecous future.
I'm so glad I joined this forum I now am starting to feel more positive about the outcome of my degree and believe if I gain the relevant experience needed so I can further my career progression and have a successful future.

I haven't got enough money to study a degree all over again or pay a crazy fee to study another year, so maybe i'll go back to it when i'm older and wiser that way i'll have the time and money to give my desired degree my full attention and dedication.

Obtaining a 3rd does not mean your not intelligent at all!! For example my friend got a 2:1 but has failed her theory 3 times and practical 5!! I on the other hand passed my theory and practical 1st time round.... so theres one for the books eh!! LOL. But it just goes to show everyone has there strengths and weaknesses in life regardless of their achievements or results!!
Reply 9
1st the worst, 2nd the best, 3rds the one with a hairy chest
Reply 10
Original post by miike1234
1st the worst, 2nd the best, 3rds the one with a hairy chest

and we do love hairy chests :love:
Original post by thompson19
Wow virtually all you guys have been so supportive!! I wish you all a prospecous future.
I'm so glad I joined this forum I now am starting to feel more positive about the outcome of my degree and believe if I gain the relevant experience needed so I can further my career progression and have a successful future.

I haven't got enough money to study a degree all over again or pay a crazy fee to study another year, so maybe i'll go back to it when i'm older and wiser that way i'll have the time and money to give my desired degree my full attention and dedication.

Obtaining a 3rd does not mean your not intelligent at all!! For example my friend got a 2:1 but has failed her theory 3 times and practical 5!! I on the other hand passed my theory and practical 1st time round.... so theres one for the books eh!! LOL. But it just goes to show everyone has there strengths and weaknesses in life regardless of their achievements or results!!

Well done. I obviously don't know you but I felt really bad for you when you said you were too ashamed to go to your own graduation. You still got a degree and that''s really all that counts. I mean how often will people ask for your grades. You should be proud of yourself. And going back to it when your more focused is an excellent idea.
Reply 12

yaaaaah mahn u rool just whip out your driving liscence to your future employers mann sorted, they don't give no **** about degrees
Reply 13
I really don't know what to do, I got a 3rd in my degree last year and didn't even go to graduation because I was so ashamed of myself.
I studied a foundation degree in business which I passed and then completed a top up year. My result was actually a shock because I mainly got 2:2 or above for most subjects but because I only just scrapped a pass on my dissertation it brought my overall grade right down down.

I really want to study another degree e.g. Marketing Management because i'm more so interested in this topic and want to prove to myself that I can change the overall result. I need to know if I would be eligable to move 240 of my credits from my foundation degree to complete a top up year for another degree and if so how much will this cost me, how can I find this out?? More importantly will LEA fund me for another year?? Is it going to cost me £3000 x2 just because I already have a degree??

My friend talked about converting my degree to another degree but again how do I go about this??? I really want to try and sort this out before the fees go up!!! Can someone please help me!!?? :frown:

I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job. There are people out there who don't get the chance to do a degree, so people like you who waste the opportunity make me sick. I don't care if you give me negative feedback, it's my opinion. Why should you get more financial help? So you can sit on your bum and fail again? So nothing at all will be paid back? And don't give me rubbish about being ill or having family problems because many of us have terrible problems and still succeed.
I don't understand why you got such a shock when you were getting 2:2 or above for most subjects... you were actually PLEASED with that? :confused: Wtf?

I have asked questions on here about really bad problems which have been through no fault of my own and have got some really bad comments. I see this as completely your fault and just can't understand why people are being so kind. :confused:

Enjoy signing on every week at the Job Centre. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by jmv22
I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job. There are people out there who don't get the chance to do a degree, so people like you who waste the opportunity make me sick. I don't care if you give me negative feedback, it's my opinion. Why should you get more financial help? So you can sit on your bum and fail again? So nothing at all will be paid back? And don't give me rubbish about being ill or having family problems because many of us have terrible problems and still succeed.
I don't understand why you got such a shock when you were getting 2:2 or above for most subjects... you were actually PLEASED with that? :confused: Wtf?

I have asked questions on here about really bad problems which have been through no fault of my own and have got some really bad comments. I see this as completely your fault and just can't understand why people are being so kind. :confused:

Enjoy signing on every week at the Job Centre. :smile:

stop being a di ck
Reply 15
Original post by amelle
stop being a di ck

I'm being honest. Welcome to the real world for her. The OP doesn't deserve a degree so they don't deserve a good job. Simples.
Reply 16
Original post by jmv22
I'm being honest. Welcome to the real world for her. The OP doesn't deserve a degree so they don't deserve a good job. Simples.

i know its going to be hard.. at least she's trying to turn it around so if she's willing to ask for help, you might as well give constructive criticism.

and i think you could try and get into a masters, or try and get a job in your preferred field but a lower down job and try to work your way up?
Reply 17
Original post by bottomchops
, Essex charges around the £3,200 mark for most degree courses. However as an ELQ candidate it is around the £6,600 mark. Different unis will charge different amounts but the point is that it's generally a lot more expensive doing a second degree.

If Money is the Main Objection. Why not Do a 2nd degree with the Open University. I am starting too study with them in Feb. They are really Cheap... and they may give you funding even tho you've already got a degree. And you can work fulltime whilst studying,

Katie
Reply 18
Original post by amelle
i know its going to be hard.. at least she's trying to turn it around so if she's willing to ask for help, you might as well give constructive criticism.

and i think you could try and get into a masters, or try and get a job in your preferred field but a lower down job and try to work your way up?

I just think that when she was getting a 2:2 for her modules, surely she should have been bright enough to realise that she should aim higher and work harder? There are plenty of graduates with good degrees who can't get jobs, so why should she be any better?

Long story short- she probably won't get financial help. She can try and get experience in something she's interested in..... if she even knows what she's interested in. She's ruined a great opportunity. End of story.
lol how did you even manage that

Latest

Trending

Trending