The Student Room Group

Need Help - Biggest Dilemma of my life

Hey guys :smile:
Basically I started my degree in International Business and Modern Languages a ew weeks ago at Aston University but I'm really not enjoying my degree. I love the German/French modules but I can't stand the Business ones and I've decided I'd rather drop out now and reapply than stick with a degree I'm really not enjoying for 4 years.

I've already chosen the degree I want to reapply for next summer which is French and German. The offer is pretty much ABB everywhere but with an A in French. I got ABB at A-level but only a B in French, so I'll have to retake and have decided to retake both B grades in my year out for the sake of it.

If I apply to Manc, Notts and Birmingham etc where the standard offer is ABB with AAA, but only achieved after a 3rd year of A-levels, will it have a seriously bad effect on my application or will it be considered? On one hand I think it will be ok because some unis say they simply increase offers by one grade for resit students but on the other hand I'm not too sure as everybody know's Universities don't like retakes.

Any Advice would be appreciated, apologies for the mini-rant :smile:

x
Original post by TRX45
Hey guys :smile:
Basically I started my degree in International Business and Modern Languages a ew weeks ago at Aston University but I'm really not enjoying my degree. I love the German/French modules but I can't stand the Business ones and I've decided I'd rather drop out now and reapply than stick with a degree I'm really not enjoying for 4 years.

I've already chosen the degree I want to reapply for next summer which is French and German. The offer is pretty much ABB everywhere but with an A in French. I got ABB at A-level but only a B in French, so I'll have to retake and have decided to retake both B grades in my year out for the sake of it.

If I apply to Manc, Notts and Birmingham etc where the standard offer is ABB with AAA, but only achieved after a 3rd year of A-levels, will it have a seriously bad effect on my application or will it be considered? On one hand I think it will be ok because some unis say they simply increase offers by one grade for resit students but on the other hand I'm not too sure as everybody know's Universities don't like retakes.

Any Advice would be appreciated, apologies for the mini-rant :smile:

x

More out of interest than anything, have you considered transferring your degree at Aston? Or do you dislike the uni as well?

Best people to contact about your query are the admissions tutors at each of those unis - some may not care at all, some may raise the offer and some may only consider your grades as they would have been after two years.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
More out of interest than anything, have you considered transferring your degree at Aston? Or do you dislike the uni as well?

Best people to contact about your query are the admissions tutors at each of those unis - some may not care at all, some may raise the offer and some may only consider your grades as they would have been after two years.

I did consider transferring course at Aston, except that they don't offer the particular course that I would like to do, and frankly, the languages department is much weaker than the business school.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the uni either, the atmosphere is pretty poor and the location isn't amazing which is just another of the reasons that I'm contemplating dropping out and reapplying now.
Original post by TRX45
I did consider transferring course at Aston, except that they don't offer the particular course that I would like to do, and frankly, the languages department is much weaker than the business school.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the uni either, the atmosphere is pretty poor and the location isn't amazing which is just another of the reasons that I'm contemplating dropping out and reapplying now.

Fair enough - just wondered if it would be easier, as long as you were happy at Aston and it was just the course ... but would appear it's not.

Again, contacting admissions would be the best way to go. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks , I'll ring round their admissions offices tomorrow and see what they say, it's not like I'm applying for Medecine or anything uber-competitive so hopefully it should be ok :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by TRX45

They do do French and German :confused:
The LSS department isn't that bad but it's your choice.
Reply 6
Original post by hannah_dru
They do do French and German :confused:
The LSS department isn't that bad but it's your choice.

Sorry I didn't specify, the course I'm interested in is French and German beginners. It requires A-level French but you study German from scratch.

And it's not that I don't rate the languages department, it's just that Aston is much stronger for business than it is for languages. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by TRX45
Sorry I didn't specify, the course I'm interested in is French and German beginners. It requires A-level French but you study German from scratch.

And it's not that I don't rate the languages department, it's just that Aston is much stronger for business than it is for languages. :smile:

That makes sense. It's a shame they don't do that.

Yeah that is true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending