The Student Room Group

Donate blood

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ocassus
Long term, less red blood cells = Greater oxygen debt to muscles.

Ah, interesting. Thanks.
I did it for the free biscuits
Reply 62
Original post by DrunkenMaster
Why dont more people donate blood? Let me see.
1. The majority of sessions are during the day when most people are at work/uni etc. Not forgetting the hour lunch breaks they all take at the same time (thus further eliminating further donoations). Do they expect people to take anual leave?
2. The sessions are usually overcrowded and you end up having to wait hours if you didn't book in advance.
3. Half the staff at these places are rude.
4. Like above, the blood service seem to have this attitude that they are doing you [the donor] a favour. When it is the other way round.
5. Discrimination against gay's, people on medication, former drug user's etc etc
6. Can be painful :eek:, the wooziness and the not being allowed to excercise afterwards.
7. No rewards (unless you count crisps, tea and a key ring).

Wow.. just wow.. :/
Reply 63
Original post by Larrabee
DrunkenMaster (or whatever your name is), the last time I gave blood was in a village hall, at 7pm.

Again, speak to your employer, many have a policy of allowing time off for blood donation, or may be willing to institute one, it makes them look caring!

Missing one day of exercise won't result in you becoming overweight. You can go the day before and the day after.

Your experience of donor staff couldn't be more different to mine. Did you make a complaint so that the guilty parties could be spoken to/investigated/disciplined/retrained?

Your keyrings point made as much sense as the rest of your post, so I took it at face value. I bet you'd be willing to put up with that awful rudeness if you were getting a tenner for it though wouldn't you?

Thank you. Someone else thinks his post was ridiculous! It was the "discrimination" bit that got me. Of course it would be silly to have certain restrictions in place to ensure the safety of the blood donor and the receiver! How absurd! What do they think they're playing at!?
Reply 64
I always try and give blood when its on in my area, always get some good banter with the nurses :hubba: Although they keep pestering me for platelets though.
I'm planning to give blood next time they're collecting near me :smile: As I'm now 18, I also signed up to become an organ donor, and will eventually get around to donating bone marrow.

I feel rather proud of myself. I used to be such a selfish cow when I was younger.
Original post by VioletVixen
I'm planning to give blood next time they're collecting near me :smile: As I'm now 18, I also signed up to become an organ donor, and will eventually get around to donating bone marrow.

I feel rather proud of myself. I used to be such a selfish cow when I was younger.

lol well done to you, some brutal honesty there. :tongue:
Reply 67
I used to but I've stopped when they introduced appointments.
Original post by Andrew Mooney
lol well done to you, some brutal honesty there. :tongue:

Haha thank you! I'm only stating the truth :wink: :biggrin:
I plan to get my ears pierced this weekend and it says you can't give blood for another 6 months afterwards. If I don't pierce them this weekend I won't be able to wear nice ones on my birthday. :lolwut: So I suppose I'm going to have to wait. :redface:
Respect for Larrabee!
He's right - eligible people ought to make the effort, it's a small price to pay for saving someone's life!

Also, to whoever accused him of acting "high and mighty" about being a donor... I disagree, and i think that when people's lives are at stake (and such little effort is required from the donor) then a bit of gentle persuasion aimed at those with flimsy excuses is fair enough!
Seeing as lives are at stake, the issue is too important to just stand by and not even attempt to encourage people to donate!
Reply 71
Original post by bananacake14
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/Consent.do < :smile:
Do it!
I've always wanted to be an organ donor but me being lazy, I never got round to doing until last year. Just sign up, it takes minutes, then you get a nice shiny card through the post. :biggrin:

Cheers for the link! I'll do it now =D

Edit: Done it! Said they'd match the details, put me on the register if I'm not on there already. =) Donated everything upon my death. Even my EYES. O_O Ha ha, is this donation to save lives specifically? 'Cause I would like what's left of me to go to medical students to practice on or to science - and for if my body is not good for donation by the time I die, yet might be good for that still. Now to look up blood donation! I am on a ROLL. Ha ha
(edited 13 years ago)
On too many meds and have too many medical maladies so I can't give blood otherwise I would :frown:
Reply 73
Right! I'm on the blood donor list now. I don't really get what happens though. I think I'm just really bad at browsing websites recently 'cause I seriously cannot tell what the hell happens after you register. Surely, they test your blood first, right? =\ Not sure whether I should straight-up book an appointment or what!

=P Now for the bone marrow donor list. That one terrifies me though.
Reply 74
Original post by Jazmine
Right! I'm on the blood donor list now. I don't really get what happens though. I think I'm just really bad at browsing websites recently 'cause I seriously cannot tell what the hell happens after you register. Surely, they test your blood first, right? =\ Not sure whether I should straight-up book an appointment or what!

Just book an appointment, they do all the health testing and blood screening there.

Let them know its your first time and you don't know the ropes and you'll be guided through the process. Its really very easy, you'll be fine.

Well done!

(I've been on the bone marrow register for nearly 10 years and I've never even had a call, the chances of you ever being a match for someone are very slim. A friend was called for preliminary testing but ruled out at the blood test stage so you don't even have to have an aspiration until quite far into the process.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jazmine

Original post by Jazmine

Marrow donation is not often that traumatic. They generally do it by aphoresis, rather than biopsy where possible. Which basically entails you getting an injection of a chemokine a few days before donation, and then having a line in one arm and a line out the other connected to a machine.
Reply 76
Original post by Larrabee
Just book an appointment, they do all the health testing and blood screening there.

Let them know its your first time and you don't know the ropes and you'll be guided through the process. Its really very easy, you'll be fine.

Well done!

(I've been on the bone marrow register for nearly 10 years and I've never even had a call, the chances of you ever being a match for someone are very slim. A friend was called for preliminary testing but ruled out at the blood test stage so you don't even have to have an aspiration until quite far into the process.)

Ah, okay! That's fine then, I looked up the places where I could book an appointment and when. All the appointments are quite far away though, I was a little surprised! I did see some being held within this month though, I think I'll see if I can go on one during the 22nd. I've asked for holiday leave during that time, so it'd be convenient.

Ahh, wow. I didn't realise chances for bone marrow matches were that slim. =(

I'm really excited, for some reason. Only thing I feel kind of bad about is that I might die really old and all my organs will be all messed up by then [signed up to the organ donor list today too], ha ha. I don't want to die young, I just don't want my body to be completely wasteful. I'm going to look up how I can donate it to science, medicine (for medical students) or something, despite its condition.

Original post by Revd. Mike
Marrow donation is not often that traumatic. They generally do it by aphoresis, rather than biopsy where possible. Which basically entails you getting an injection of a chemokine a few days before donation, and then having a line in one arm and a line out the other connected to a machine.

Ah! They take the stem cells from the blood stream - after pumping up its quantity? Can you choose which method you want then?
Original post by TVC15
I gave blood for the first time 11 days after my 17th birthday. My aim is to beat or at least match my Dads X amount of awards and donations. I'm slowly on track with 9! I get my new donor card soon! :biggrin:

I'm also on the bone marrow donor list! To the person who said it's painful, it all depends on what procedure that they do. From my research they commonly use the stem cell method.

I do this with my dad! I was in the lead last year but he's just overtaken me since I'm not allowed to at the moment.
I can't donate blood myself (don't even go there..) but I really wish I could, because I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for those who did.
Original post by DrunkenMaster
Why dont more people donate blood? Let me see.
1. The majority of sessions are during the day when most people are at work/uni etc. Not forgetting the hour lunch breaks they all take at the same time (thus further eliminating further donoations). Do they expect people to take anual leave?
2. The sessions are usually overcrowded and you end up having to wait hours if you didn't book in advance.
3. Half the staff at these places are rude.
4. Like above, the blood service seem to have this attitude that they are doing you [the donor] a favour. When it is the other way round.
5. Discrimination against gay's, people on medication, former drug user's etc etc
6. Can be painful :eek:, the wooziness and the not being allowed to excercise afterwards.
7. No rewards (unless you count crisps, tea and a key ring).

1. Employers might let you have time off, if not there tend to be evenings sessions for exactly this reason
2. Book then. It takes 5 minutes to call or do it on the internet
3. Report them. They shouldn't be rude, and none of the staff I've met during my 7 donations have been rude and neither have any of the ones that I've met the other dozen times when I've accompanied friends.
5. I've never encountered this either.
6. That's because they carry higher risks of HIV and hepatitis and so on. AS I understand, the ban on gay people is going to be under review fairly soon.
6. Man up. I have hideous veins so mine usually take a few attempts but I still go. As for the not exercising, one day won't kill you.
7. I hope this is a joke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending