The Student Room Group

Can't bully me makes me think about my own life

Wow this show is quite relevant to how I was as a teen and still am at 27 in many ways.

Was horifficly bullied to the point in my 1st year I had my shoulder broken and get painful arthritis even now and most of my bullying came from the fact that I was lower class and the bullies were mostly upper working or middle class since the teachers were really snobbish and said that because I was from a council estate I was likely lying or starting fights with people!

In my 2nd year I started truanting from class to the point that that made the bullying worse since they took delight in telling teachers they saw me in town, then the school was really nasty to my parents saying it was their fault I wasnt coming to school.

I learned to block out all emotions from my mind and thus blanked everyone even if they were nice to me and only started getting better when I was about 19/20 but never recovered from the shyness or self esteem but liked company.

I would of got better but a family member died when I was a few weeks short of my 22nd birthday and never recovered.

Dont know the point of this thread but just wanted to get out some emotions.
Reply 1
Oh well C'est la vie.
Reply 2
Thanks for sharing. :shakehand:

I saw the trailer of that show yesterday. Seems interesting. :yep:
Reply 3
Sorry to hear it friend, i hope things are going well for you now.
Reply 4
i am not going to lie I know I was going to watch that but I left the bullying behind after 9 years of it in secondary school. Too many bad memories and would remind me of the people that still want to hurt me, one even threatened to kill me which was interesting.
Reply 5
oh I like these sorts of programs. Thanks OP just watching first episode on virgin media on demand. I must say so...it seems a few of these folks might have bought it on themselves a little bit, if you're rather odd chances are you'll be picked on. Still...does still make me ponder that whole "if you could have super powers what would you have/do" question...I'd have so much fun.
Well have you ever thought about confronting the people who bullied you? Maybe they regret what they didnall those years ago. Or going to see a counsellor and talking through it and trying to move on with your life.
Reply 7
Original post by joey11223
oh I like these sorts of programs. Thanks OP just watching first episode on virgin media on demand. I must say so...it seems a few of these folks might have bought it on themselves a little bit, if you're rather odd chances are you'll be picked on. Still...does still make me ponder that whole "if you could have super powers what would you have/do" question...I'd have so much fun.

Well what makes someone odd really? not being "normal"? I was normal till I was bullied and the bullying was what made me off.

Its nature nurture really, all it takes is one event to set someone down on a spiral and then its hard to recover so its all about a support network.
I was quite badly bullied at a young age, though by the sounds of it not as badly as you, and it took me quite a long time to recover. Only in the last couple of years (I'm 20 now) do I feel like I've recovered mentally. Psychologists will probably tell you to talk about and think about your feelings and emotions, but I cope by not thinking about them ever and block all thoughts about my bullying experience.

Deep down in me I have some terrible sad feelings and thoughts, but by constantly ignoring them and never dwelling on that part of my life, and just thinking about the present situation and the future I find I can cope much more easily. Basically I've created a new personality for myself. When I first started recovering a lot of my personality and the way acted was very fake, forced, and I wasn't being the person I really was, but after a while its become much more natural to me.

I avoid talking and thinking about the experience as much as possible. For example last year I was in a conversation about being bullied, but I said that I never had been. I've had years of my life thinking about nothing but being bullied I don't plan on adding an extra hour to it!

You can take from this what you want but I just thought I'd share my experience with you and how I coped.
Reply 9
Original post by Guy Secretan
Well have you ever thought about confronting the people who bullied you? Maybe they regret what they didnall those years ago. Or going to see a counsellor and talking through it and trying to move on with your life.

Many moved away from area, the ones that stayed were nice to me when I next saw them 5 years later, but as I was still shy at the point a few asked "not being weird but are you a virgin"

I did find out a few girls fancied me at school and I think that was why some bullied me as they were trying to get my attention, other people were bullying because their parents were being nasty to them or really pushy etc.

Had one girl who bullied me so I kicked her once and the police came round and claimed I beat her up and said they had photos of her entire body covered in bruises which was a disgusting thing to accuse me of, I found out her parents were physically abusing her and used me as a scapegoat to blame the bruises on, but I never got an apology.
Original post by drbluebox
Well what makes someone odd really? not being "normal"? I was normal till I was bullied and the bullying was what made me off.

Its nature nurture really, all it takes is one event to set someone down on a spiral and then its hard to recover so its all about a support network.

I'd consider myself odd...but it is hard to exactly define. Also yes another issue is one minor incident can spiral out of control. Someone might fall over and get mud on their face, or say the wrong thing, that one event gets exaggerated and suddenly everyone is bullying them for various things which didn't even happen.

Hmm...bullies...they need to appreciate the harm they do, only when you're on the receiving end of something, can you comprehend it's affects, only then can you empathise, understand the damage you were doing. It's all too easy to join in with name calling, but about when you're the one being worn down day after day..
Original post by drbluebox
Many moved away from area, the ones that stayed were nice to me when I next saw them 5 years later, but as I was still shy at the point a few asked "not being weird but are you a virgin"

I did find out a few girls fancied me at school and I think that was why some bullied me as they were trying to get my attention, other people were bullying because their parents were being nasty to them or really pushy etc.

Had one girl who bullied me so I kicked her once and the police came round and claimed I beat her up and said they had photos of her entire body covered in bruises which was a disgusting thing to accuse me of, I found out her parents were physically abusing her and used me as a scapegoat to blame the bruises on, but I never got an apology.

Well its good that they were nice to you when you saw them later. Also you can kind of forgive the girl who was being beaten up by her parents as she was obv pretty messed up. Sometimes its good to let the past be the past and move on. Have you ever thought about changing your image making new friend getting a new job etc Is there anything about your appearance or manner that thy made fun of that still exists to this day.
Reply 12
Original post by Guy Secretan
Well its good that they were nice to you when you saw them later. Also you can kind of forgive the girl who was being beaten up by her parents as she was obv pretty messed up. Sometimes its good to let the past be the past and move on. Have you ever thought about changing your image making new friend getting a new job etc Is there anything about your appearance or manner that thy made fun of that still exists to this day.

They called me fat and ugly at school despite being thin, just with broad shoulders, I am actually fat now due to the family death a few years ago and feeling crap from the weight gain.

Obviously most of the girls who called me ugly actually fancied me as said in my above post, and literally weeks after I left school and started college had girls asking me out including gorgeous girls(one was a local model who kept saying I was the sweetest guy she knew!)

Most of my issues now are purely down to age, being at uni with 18-22 year olds who think a 27 year old wanting to hang around with them is creepy.

I would of got better like I said I did improve when I was 21 to the point I loved going clubbing or even to a pub and chatting to people, feeling attractive and flirting somewhat and getting girls dance with me and being invited back to their place or getting their number.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending