The Student Room Group

Sharp pain in chest

As the title says, has anyone else endured this whilst minding their own business?? . .I was just sat in the settee, on the laptop when it suddenly happened. I know the sentence of 'Go to your GP' is going to be the reply from many, but I have had pain in my chest for 4-weeks and no GP knows exactly what it is apart from apparently I am ''stressed'' and it might be Costochondritis. I just moved slightly and I felt a slight twinge in the middle of my chest.

I was just wondering if anyone else has endured this pain? minding their own business when suddenly it strikes?? . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is there a sharp object in your chest, such as a dart or knife?
How painful is it?
Reply 3
Anxiety, or you have chest muscle or upper abdominal fatigue/injury.
Reply 4
yes i get this too.

If it is Costochondritis then what are you worried about, sounds harmless. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by DancinBallerina
As the title says, has anyone else endured this whilst minding their own business?? . .I was just sat in the settee, on the laptop when it suddenly happened. I know the sentence of 'Go to your GP' is going to be the reply from many, but I have had pain in my chest for 4-weeks and no GP knows exactly what it is apart from apparently I am ''stressed'' and it might be Costochondritis. I just moved slightly and I felt a slight twinge in the middle of my chest.

I was just wondering if anyone else has endured this pain? minding their own business when suddenly it strikes?? . .

yeh i know what you mean, i get that sometimes, usually after i go to gym or randomly. It's weird, i dont have a medical condition, but sometimes randomly a sharp pain, not to an extreme extent, but it's still uncomfortable. No idea what it is though :frown:.

i dont take notice of it as it doesnt always happen.
Reply 7
As another user already said, infarctions and upper abdominal/pectoral strain and injury feel very similar.

Have you been doing any strenuous exercise recently?
I get this. Just random stabby pains at random intervals when I'm doing activities which are completely unrelated. I went and had an ECG and there was nothing wrong so I'm just going to ignore it.
Original post by hothedgehog
I get this. Just random stabby pains at random intervals when I'm doing activities which are completely unrelated. I went and had an ECG and there was nothing wrong so I'm just going to ignore it.

Yes I've had 5 ECGs over the past 4weeks and they've all been fine. It's just scary and then the panic begins to set in, which sometimes makes it worse.

Original post by Eldedu
As another user already said, infarctions and upper abdominal/pectoral strain and injury feel very similar.

Have you been doing any strenuous exercise recently?

I graduated yesterday, which all I did was wear the gown for a few hours, carry my coat in my left arm afterwards, which is sore today. But I haven't been to dancing this week, as mum wanted me to reserve all energy for yesterday (haven't been well for 4weeks).

Original post by Onge
yeh i know what you mean, i get that sometimes, usually after i go to gym or randomly. It's weird, i dont have a medical condition, but sometimes randomly a sharp pain, not to an extreme extent, but it's still uncomfortable. No idea what it is though :frown:.

i dont take notice of it as it doesnt always happen.

I have had a problem with my chest for the past 4weeks anyway. But this pain this evening, I have had before, but it's painful and sooo frightening to the point of tears, for me.

Yes, I've heard of this . .could be this? :dontknow:

Original post by danny111
yes i get this too.

If it is Costochondritis then what are you worried about, sounds harmless. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm

Dr in A&E thinks it might be that. Drs @ my surgery (seen 4 diff. Drs), have absolutely no idea what it is. On antibiotics @ the mo, which 2 think I have a viral infection. But it's not doing much, well I can't notice anything. Only way of knowing is if the Drs listen to my chest, where they said grumbling.

Original post by Law123mus
Anxiety, or you have chest muscle or upper abdominal fatigue/injury.

I'm guessing it might be both . .

Original post by Chelle-belle
How painful is it?

On a scale of 1-10 = 9! The pain that shot across my chest is settling down, drinking abit of root ginger before bed. The pain I've had in my chest for 4weeks, has been dulled by a strong dose of co codemal.

Original post by Awesome-o
Is there a sharp object in your chest, such as a dart or knife?

I did have a look, found nowt. Sowee . .
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
so your saying its very painful? whe i get it feels like a stab and then a push, if you know what i mean lol, but the pain isnt that great. I go to the gym a lot and exercise at home so that may be the reason :/
Original post by Onge
so your saying its very painful? whe i get it feels like a stab and then a push, if you know what i mean lol, but the pain isnt that great. I go to the gym a lot and exercise at home so that may be the reason :/

Yes, very painful. It literally felt like a shooting star lol, if that makes sense, from right to left. I felt a lil odd and then it began to settle, not sure if that's because I've taken a high dosage of co codemal or because im drinking root ginger to settle me before bed.

Do you find yours hurts when you breathe in deeply? . .
Yes, very painful. It literally felt like a shooting star lol, if that makes sense, from right to left. I felt a lil odd and then it began to settle, not sure if that's because I've taken a high dosage of co codemal or because im drinking root ginger to settle me before bed.

Do you find yours hurts when you breathe in deeply? . .
That does kinda sound like precordial catch, especially with the breathing thing, but if it's only been the last 4 weeks that doesn't make sense.

PCS was what I came into the thread to suggest, so sorry I'm not being very helpful :dontknow:

Next time it happens try forcing in a huge breath through the pain and see if it goes away. PCS normally should.
Original post by tailschao
That does kinda sound like precordial catch, especially with the breathing thing, but if it's only been the last 4 weeks that doesn't make sense.

PCS was what I came into the thread to suggest, so sorry I'm not being very helpful :dontknow:

Next time it happens try forcing in a huge breath through the pain and see if it goes away. PCS normally should.

Yea that's why Costochondritis was a possibility from the A&E Dr, but the other Drs I have seen @ my surgery are baffled! :/ Costo. apparently lasts for months, but even with that when breathing in it should be felt, which sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. So I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.

All I know im absolutely frightened and fed up of not knowing what is making me feel unwell :frown:. And now this pain I got tonight has made me more on 'edge' :frown:.
Reply 14
yeh when i breathe in deeply it gets worse when i get it. I just ignored it all the time.
Original post by Onge
yeh when i breathe in deeply it gets worse when i get it. I just ignored it all the time.

Yea, that I've experienced a few times before and it takes a while to go, but does eventually. But this what i'm feeling is nothing like it . .:/ So I have no idea.
Reply 16
Yea, that I've experienced a few times before and it takes a while to go, but does eventually. But this what i'm feeling is nothing like it . .:/ So I have no idea.

Maybe try to sleep, itl probably go away. If anything get some strong pain killers see if they help. Hope it goes away :smile:
Original post by Onge
Maybe try to sleep, itl probably go away. If anything get some strong pain killers see if they help. Hope it goes away :smile:

I have been hoping sleep will make it go away, unfortunately it doesn't. Strong painkillers, ie co codemal is the only thing that is reducing the pain, everything else, OTC tablets and etc, doesn't work.

Hmmmm hopefully one day it'll go away, fingers crossed.

Thanks for your posts anyway.
Reply 18
:console:hey I have had Costochondritis on and off now for almost a year. I get the bad pains in times of stress.... my symptoms sound a lot like yours. I'm a huge cry baby so I used to think I was having a heart attack and went to the emergency room. They ran a bunch of tests and concluded I wasn't having heart failure, but Costo. due to a dormant virus/anxiety/stress. I find a heating compress on the chest really helps and minimize the stress by reminding yourself you aren't dying!
Reply 19
Dr in A&E thinks it might be that. Drs @ my surgery (seen 4 diff. Drs), have absolutely no idea what it is. On antibiotics @ the mo, which 2 think I have a viral infection. But it's not doing much, well I can't notice anything. Only way of knowing is if the Drs listen to my chest, where they said grumbling.

Stop seeing those 2 doctors asap. Any doctor that prescribes antibiotics when he/she has no clue what is going on is a tool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending