The Student Room Group

What is one act of kindness that you recieved from a stranger?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by paella
Loads when I've been mountainbiking, people giving me spare parts, leading me body armour or tools, helping me when I've been injured, giving me tips. Same with kayaking. Great communities lol.

I got to agree with you there. People are very nice to folk on bikes in my experience. I had a puncture about six miles away from where I live. Baring in mind that I have a bad right knee and use the bike to build up strength.

Well after aboout 250m of hobbling around and pushing my bike, a retired builder who had been on a job for a friend arrived and offered to take me back to my home town and to put my bike in the van.

Such a nice thing to do. I will never forget how nice that man was. He saved me a huge amount of pain and time.
Original post by yituool
I find it interesting to note that the majority of those who received help from strangers have vaginas

Hmm...but then I suppose that's to be expected, males are naturally protective of females?

Anyway as for me...hmm, I suppose the most recent one was someone who I had only recently started talking to at Uni buying me a cup of tea and sharing cookies!:biggrin:

urm...nothing from the past stands out but I have a bad memory. Last act I did was actually the same as I received! Buying someone tea as they didn't enough money for a drink and food.

Tea...the vessel of karma?
Original post by Lozza_00
are you older than them now?

As punishment for their sin the girls were destined to remain eternally at that same age.
Reply 83
Original post by T-Toe
A large group of late teens (at the time) protected me from my 3 random black girls who were bullying me and my siblings (physically), those bullies were older than us (at the time).

They gave me a broken bottle, just encase the bullies wanted to start some more trouble.

If they weren't there/didn't take interest in us. They might have really beaten us up.

So they're not older than you now?
Reply 84
Original post by Boristhethird
When i crashed my motorbike, a family helped me get the bike to the side of the road, call my mum to come and pick me up (mental not, get an ambulance, they are better at speaking to worried parents), and gave me tea.
i bout them a box of chocolates to say thanks.

I have had a similar situation, I crashed my bike because of a pot hole in a local road and the car in front helped me push my bike to the side of the road. The man gave it a once over and started it to make sure it was ok, the lady then offered me a seat in the car and explained that they were both bikers and that she was worried about me. They even offered to buy me a pint down the local and meet up with some of there biking friends since he was a president of a motorcycle club. But thats pretty normal with bikers due to the close nit community.
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
yay for random acts of kindness in york :p:

It's an awesome city <3
I work in a small supermarket and often have people getting annoyed for whatever reason - the other night two guys kept coming in and trying to buy alcohol despite already being refused, in the end they got really abusive - they were French but I speak it a bit and could understand what they were saying. Two builders about to start their shift got the gist of it and basically shouted the guys out the shop, then said "Don't worry love, we think you're doing a great job. Some people are just dicks." Made me feel so much better :smile:

Also a few weeks ago I was really ill and ended up passing out and throwing up in the basement of a shop in town - a poor work experience girl found me and ran to get her boss who called an ambulance and helped the paramedics carry the stretcher up the stairs - I took them in a card and a big box of biscuits to thank them, especially whoever had to clean up my sick haha.
some pervert sexually assulted me when i was younger and if this girl hadnt got off the bus we were on and come and found me and taken me home (her dad worked nearby so he dropped everything he was doing and drove me) id probably have been raped! i owe them both a lot :smile:
Reply 88
I love this thread :love:

I was on the bus revising for my UKCAT and a couple went to sit. The woman sat next to me and the guy sat on the other side. The guy, being nosey, looked at the cover of my book and swapped sits with the woman. He sat next to me and we were talking about unis and he was giving me tips for my P.S and interviews.
I know it's not much but he inspired me. I just love med students, they always make me feel better :biggrin:
when i was young and i was lost from my mum on the underground, than some woman stayed with me to help me found my mum :ahee:

ummm more recent ones have just been when someone tells me ive dropped a glove, nothing major...oh wait some african freshie that likes me near greggs gave me a free yum yum :coma:
Original post by G8D
Quite insignificant but a woman told me when to get off of the bus when I didn't know the route.

If she hadn't I may have missed the stop and not made it to the hospital before my gran died.
(I walked in literally 5 minutes before it happened.)

The fact that this got neg repped is the reason i hate everyone on TSR
Original post by flowermaster91

ummm more recent ones have just been when someone tells me ive dropped a glove, nothing major...oh wait some african freshie that likes me near greggs gave me a free yum yum :coma:

:rofl:

This is such a sweet thread, I'm trying to think of something but I can't. :sad:
Original post by fallen angel9
:rofl:

This is such a sweet thread, I'm trying to think of something but I can't. :sad:

useless :no:
Reply 93
6 weeks ago I had a scooter accident on the motorway & was at the side of the road injured being helped by some really lovely people who had been driving behind me, which is an act of kindness in itself. I had no idea what to do about my bike & needed to get to hospital. A random guy in a van pulled up and offered to take my scooter off the road & into his van. Which sounds really dodgy but it turned out he was completely genuine & just wanted to help. He ended up taking it back to his city, which is 50 miles away from mine, then bringing it all the way back to me 3 weeks later! He went completely out of his way to do this, it saved me so much hassle & I will be eternally grateful to him - easily the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for me :^_^:
i was incredibly hungover and went to take money out the cash machine but walked off without it (about £150 i think) and the man behind me in the queue chased after me to give it back :smile: n'awwh nice man.
a woman sat talking with me until the police came once (erm, went a bit mental in public. got to stop doing that) but i'm really grateful, actually that she told me she'd rang the police and explained why etc, usually people don't tell me and then i freak out big time when all of a sudden police have appeared which just gets me into trouble. that was nice, she even gave me her phone number and address in case i ever wanted to talk. bless her.
I was flying out from Manchester Airport and when I got to the boarding gate, it had turned out I had left my passport at security. Literally, the flight was about to leave and they couldn't hold the flight any longer (I was starting the waterworks, naturally, as I just majorily failed and had no money to get another flight) but then the guy at the gate just told the staff to hold the flight and started sprinting towards security and came back about 5 minutes later with my passsport, almost having an asthma attack. Phew. <3
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 96
Ok well a bit random, but when I was around 7-10 I was at our local newsagents (alone) and was trying to buy a carton of icecream - well the sign advertising the icecream was for the mini sized ones - which were out of stock - so only the large ones were left. Me being me, stupidly thought it meant the big ones & went up to the till with one, unfortunetly I only had enough money for the advertised price - I got really embarassed & was rather close to tears...till this lovely lady slid the money to make up the difference accross the till :biggrin: - still remember how lovely she was :smile:.

Hmmm, besides that- happened quite a few times now, where strangers will offer to help with suitcases/luggage - especially at train stations. Ooo and last year, I got stranded in inverness (due to the heavy snowfall/blizzard) when going up to Scotland to visit a friend...So the whole city was on lockdown for transportation, & my mobile died - So this random man walking along asked me what was wrong - then phoned his home to get someone to google accomodation nearby, & walked me all the way to a youth hostel - all the more appreciated since it was very dark, freeezing (and snowing) :love:
Original post by fridaybass
I have had a similar situation, I crashed my bike because of a pot hole in a local road and the car in front helped me push my bike to the side of the road. The man gave it a once over and started it to make sure it was ok, the lady then offered me a seat in the car and explained that they were both bikers and that she was worried about me. They even offered to buy me a pint down the local and meet up with some of there biking friends since he was a president of a motorcycle club. But thats pretty normal with bikers due to the close nit community.

i feel kinda bad about it, as a friend at college tried to get a bike, but his parents had seen a bike crash and stopped him (after he paid for his CBT). now ive done that to the children of who helped me :s-smilie:
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
Someone on the street gave me a rose. No reason for it, just came up and gave me a rose.

Love for the love itself. :smile:
Original post by lonely14
As a child, once on a school trip to York, I got separated by the rest of the group (my own stupid fault) and I started crying in front of York Minster and a kind man helped me to find the rest of the my group. :grin:

That's pretty much really.

The Crying Child.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest