The Student Room Group

Hints of racism in the new H&M Ad Campaign?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ikidyounot.
I'd say it happens all over the media, not just these HM adverts.

People employed in 'the media' tend to stick to stereotypes, because it sells. Why does it sell? Because in reality, in everyday life, people prefer to believe in stereotypes and 'stick to their own kind'. I mean all you have to do is cast you eye over the comments made, 'people tend to hang out with their own ethnicity' to see that people prefer stereotypes.

For everyone who has told the alevelshmaylevel92 to stop being so analytical, you should realise than anyone who is in a so called 'minority group', but does not fit into a stereotype, gets really, really, bored and fed up with the media pandering to prejudices and stereotypes. Cue goths, black people and girls to nod in agreement.

:smile:
Ugly people never feature in H&M adverts; should we uglies protest about that too?

It's very naive to expect a bloody fashion advert to encompass the world and its infinite variety.
Original post by alevelshmaylevel92
maybe its just me, but i've seen a collection of the new H&M adverts on billboards, Bus stops and buses, the feeling i get from looking at them is "stick to your own kind". Theres probably about 6 different images, each has two people on it. 1 has two oriental girls, 1 has two black men, 1 has 2 white girls, and i think i saw another with two black girls on it, i mean ofcourse they are all beautiful, modeling nice clothes n all, but why are two people of the same ethnicity grouped together like that? is H&M telling us to stick to our own kind? what do u guys think.

Shut Up. Thanks.
maybe its just me, but i've seen a collection of the new H&M adverts on billboards, Bus stops and buses, the feeling i get from looking at them is "stick to your own kind". Theres probably about 6 different images, each has two people on it. 1 has two oriental girls, 1 has two black men, 1 has 2 white girls, and i think i saw another with two black girls on it, i mean ofcourse they are all beautiful, modeling nice clothes n all, but why are two people of the same ethnicity grouped together like that? is H&M telling us to stick to our own kind? what do u guys think.

I agree, we should put quotas on for minimum ethnic inclusion for each advert.

... get a life.
It's funny how people automatically seem to assume the OP is black.
Original post by babygirl110
It's funny how people automatically seem to assume the OP is black.

I don't see anyone's post that could lead you to that conclusion.
Original post by PlanetEuropa
I don't see anyone's post that could lead you to that conclusion.

Who were you referring to when you said you people? I notice someone called you up on that and I'm also just curious.
Original post by babygirl110
Who were you referring to when you said you people? I notice someone called you up on that and I'm also just curious.

I was not refering to anyone of any specific ethnicity or race when I said 'you people'.
I was not refering to anyone of any specific ethnicity or race when I said 'you people'.

Okay, so long as you've made that one clear :smile:.

Most hollywood films have hints of racism...not to blacks of course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Do you people just go around look for racism in everything and anything ?

Seconded
why does everyone play the racist card just because two black people are in an advert advertising clothing or something, how is that in anyway shape or form racism? just because it's not a black and white person together how is it racist, it's not racist and people who play the racist card for pathetic things like this should be slapped for their stupidity
Original post by LaughingBro
Most hollywood films have hints of racism...not to blacks of course.

Examples ?
Reply 32
If to not be racist is to see everybody the same and equal, then what does it matter what combination of ethnicity they use?
If people stopped thinking about it and just looked at them as 2 people on a billboard there wouldn't be any of this petty racism nonsense.

I cringe everytime I see a kids tv programme and they have a perfectly equal amount of children of each race, as if that's natural...
Reply 33
You are the reason why the pictures on university prospectuses always look fake. Of course, every group of friends at uni consists of:

An Asian girl
A black guy
An indian girl
A white guy

Ah well.
Reply 34

racism makes the world go round... but lol not really racism otherwise they would just skip out a race all together
Reply 35
Original post by inkblot
The campaign is actually about families. The people in the photos are siblings. I think it's on their website somewhere, but I can see how it could look odd just in print on a billboard.

You're right. Well, they aren't all siblings, they're 'the people who mean most to the model', so alot of them are family it seems.
http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/archive/2010/11/18/first-look--h-m-s-christmas-campaign.htm
Not everything is racist.

Companies can't win. No matter what they did, they'd get called racist. If there was a black guy with a white guy, you'd be saying "Token black guy, so patronising.".

Stop looking for racism when it isn't ****ing there.
i imagine it was more for the purpose of colour schemes and such. what looks good on a very pale white girl wouldn't look good on, say a black girl and vice versa. (that is not racist, before anyone tries to say it is. it's a fact that white people and black people are different colours. SHOCK HORROR. )
going around needlessly looking for racism when there is none creates more problems than it solves, grow up.
Perhaps it's because certain ethnic groups look better in certain styles/colours of clothing?

For example, a blonde white woman might look pretty bad in a bright yellow dress.
Reply 39
I actually get annoyed when you look at PR shoots and you see the deliberate token ethnic minority whos obviously there to try and make them seem multicultural, like you'll have a table of students / staff and they'll all be smiling, and just through pure coincidence one of every ethnic group will be sat around the table...I just find it more patronising and racist in itself that they have to actually think about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending