The Student Room Group

which uni is better for film and tv degree??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aleathiel
Right, that's why I know people who did Television Production and they are now working at Disney, and other Production companies..

People like you should mind their own business and not put people off what they want to do! Yes a film or television degree won't necessarily mean that one ends up working in Film or Television but it helps and it gives you so many skills, basically I think you're confused between Film/ Television Production where you actually learn practical skills and Film/Television STUDIES where you watch films and write essays.

This forum has a massive problem with these types of degrees, or at least the majority of the people who frequent it do! And a massive misconception between the two types of degrees!

I know the difference between the degree and i know which degree i want. I want to do a film tv production degree and not film tv studies. Thus i mention i'm looking more at pratical than theorical. I'm just lost at which school provides a better course for film tv production.
Original post by francinesakura
I know the difference between the degree and i know which degree i want. I want to do a film tv production degree and not film tv studies. Thus i mention i'm looking more at pratical than theorical. I'm just lost at which school provides a better course for film tv production.

I know you know the difference I was just putting it out there for people who don't and who have sticks up their butts (the ones telling you not to bother)

Sorry if I caused any offence :colondollar:

btw I did Film Production at Bournemouth, so any advice needed please feel free to ask! And I know people who did Television Production, also at Bournemouth.
I know you know the difference I was just putting it out there for people who don't and who have sticks up their butts (the ones telling you not to bother)

btw I did Film Production at Bournemouth, so any advice needed please feel free to ask! And I know people who did Television Production, also at Bournemouth.

Which industry are you working in now?

I heard that bournemouth is very known for its tv production course, can you share some with me?
Like the experience you have with the school, the course, the staff and the student.
Original post by babygirl110

Which industry are you working in now?

I'm current in the media industry in singapore, doing production for chinese variety shows (chinese entertainment). But because i didn't grad frm media course, it's quite hard for me as i don't have the background knowledge. Thus the reason why i want to go study.
Original post by francinesakura
I'm current in the media industry in singapore, doing production for chinese variety shows (chinese entertainment). But because i didn't grad frm media course, it's quite hard for me as i don't have the background knowledge. Thus the reason why i want to go study.

Do they value the qualification that side? Can't you do your own self directed learning?

Sometimes doing a media related degree in the UK doesn't give much value because people who study other non-media related courses end up working in the media industry anyway. I know three people from my Psychology course who got jobs in the Media. I also had an interview with ITV when I first graduated. Employers don't seem to place much value on it.

I know a lot of people who did media related degrees and not one of them got a job in the media industry. They tried hard, no luck. Only one guy managed to secure a job at the BBC but I think that was down to other reasons (he was very well spoken). One girl I know ended up going into teaching, another has been temping admin jobs since graduating, one got lucky because she'd been working for RBS through out her degree and so she got a back office job at Coutts bank. Two other girls I know are on the dole. We all graduated two years ago.

EDIT: you might find your experience to be more valuable than the degree itself.
(edited 13 years ago)

Do they value the qualification that side? Can't you do your own self directed learning?

Sometimes doing a media related degree in the UK doesn't give much value because people who study other non-media related courses end up working in the media industry anyway. I know three people from my Psychology course who got jobs in the Media. I also had an interview with ITV when I first graduated. Employers don't seem to place much value on it.

I know a lot of people who did media related degrees and not one of them got a job in the media industry. They tried hard, no luck. Only one guy managed to secure a job at the BBC but I think that was down to other reasons (he was very well spoken). One girl I know ended up going into teaching, another has been temping admin jobs since graduating, one got lucky because she'd been working for RBS through out her degree and so she got a back office job at Coutts bank. Two other girls I know are on the dole. We all graduated two years ago.

EDIT: you might find your experience to be more valuable than the degree itself.

The industry do value the qualification on this side. Of course there are still people who get into the line without a degree or being in a related course, i myself is an example. But nevertheless, getting a degree will help in building up the career. With a degree it means better pay, and you have more knowledge to handle different situation. I've been in the media industry in my country for 3 years and every new project is a new thing for me. I have to pick up new things everytime i do a project, and because i don't have the background knowledge sometimes it's hard to follow things. I don't denied that experience helps, but i feel that since now i have the experience, with a degree it will really help me along with a lot of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending