The Student Room Group

Don't you just love to be British?

Scroll to see replies

You can create the :biggrin: icon by typing D after : :fyi:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ussumane
Stupid question tbh, why would you hate your heritage?

Of course you gotta love being British, if you are British, no?

You can most certainly hate your heritage and culture.
Reply 22
Original post by wilkinson1291
whenever i see something this ridiculous on the internet i always assume it's trolling. however i think trolling is just as stupid, if not more, as responding to trolls themselves. but anyways... umm the british empire is nothing to be proud of. we wen't round the world invading countries, suppressing the local populations and stealing recourses. not to mention the slave trade. being powerful is not admirable, what is admirable is the choosing to do what is right. the British empires values were based on racism and a fundamental belief that the british culture was objectively better, justifying their suppression of cultures and people that they deemed uncivilised. Not allot better than the Nazis.

Maybe you want to do a bit of research. The British Empire employed many people from different races (essential for them to become so powerful because they needed people in power who could relate to their countrymen and communicate effectively to their own people), they were the first country to abolish slavery and the first to employ a black man in the armed forces (navy), and they also used many north Indians (Ghurkas) in wars (including both World Wars).
Reply 23
Original post by RoshniDiya

Move to ****ing Iran and see how much you like it there. I assure you Britain is as good as it gets in this world, bar possibly Canada.
Reply 24
Original post by asdfg0987
You can create the :biggrin: icon by typing D after : :fyi:

ha I saw what you did there :ninja:
Original post by Aj12
Actuallly very different to the Nazi's.

Anyway the British empire is one of the main reasons the slave trade was ended

OK I ACCEPT WHAT YOUR SAYING AS RIGHT JUST BEAUSE YOU SAID IT. what? you can't just disagree with no actual argument to support it haha.

And we also started the slave trade. i mean people in britain individually started but the British empire did nothing to stop it for a long time and was quite happy to work of its profits. even if it was just done by british individuals it would still would make me very ashamed to be british if was the kind of person who judged a country based on what it did when it was totally politically and culturally different. plus there is an argument that the slave trade stopped because the use of new technology become more economically viable.
Reply 26
Original post by RoshniDiya

errm, how? Its something you can't run away from, you can only embrace it, so how can you hate it?

It wasn't me who gave you neg rep btw.
Original post by Broderss
Move to ****ing Iran and see how much you like it there. I assure you Britain is as good as it gets in this world, bar possibly Canada.

Did i say that i hate being British? No. I don't hate being British, i was making a simple statement.
British culture is the most perfect culture. Including our tolerance to other races and cultures (compare with Jews in Israel, Muslims in the middle east, and Christians in the US) and you just can not beat British humour. Fair enough the class differences aren't perfect and the chavs our welfare system has created aren't the best people to decide our country's future, but they aren't really 'British' and aren't our culture.

Isn't it rather ironic that in your last comment you said "**** Scotland and Wales" and now you are talking about the British being tolerant to different cultures and races?

Comparing any well developed country to the middle east shows great differences in tolerance. I do agree though, British humour is one of a kind and has yet to feel the blow from our ever 'developing' society.

The class differences aren't perfect? Take a look around! I've met people who have no motivation or drive in life being they are too busy being screwed by capitalism, when I ask them if they're worried about it they look at me with a blank face and ask "What is capitalism?" - Being exploited because of their lesser education and ignorance by the big cats. That sure is a perfect system we have going there. (Not to mention youth unemployment)

British culture is horrific. When I think of the perfect individual that symbolises our country I can't help but picture the tracksuit wearing, cider drinking, Big Brother watching ignorant down the road whose only concern is about alcohol or celebrity gossip. Is that what my grandfathers and great grandfathers were dying for in the trenches? I cannot imagine so.

The UK has its fair share of problems and is still failing in many vital areas, including transport, health and manufacturing (apart from those industries we’ve sold to foreigners). However, we are still world leaders in pageantry, binge drinking and football hooliganism. Major concerns include rising crime (particularly juvenile and violent crime), the uneven quality of state education, a flourishing drugs culture, the failing health service, inequality (the growing gulf between rich and poor), a looming pensions crisis, pollution, awful public transport, homelessness, overcrowded roads, urban blight, a spiralling cost of living and a burgeoning underclass. Apart from that everything is perfect.

I'm just ranting with no aim and my only purpose is to have a say in the great British society people feel inclined to advocate. I hate what our country has become, but I see no change, it will only get worse and worse as we get more separated.
Original post by ussumane
errm, how? Its something you can't run away from, you can only embrace it, so how can you hate it?

It wasn't me who gave you neg rep btw.

You can hate the traditions and ideals of your own culture.

Lol, i love some people are jumping to conclusions, when i didn't even say i hate being British. I was actually thinking about how i hate my Indian culture and how it's grounded by patriarchy. So, that shows that you can hate it.
Proud? Why you didn't do anything to be proud of, you just happened to be born here.
Reply 31
Original post by TheRevolution
According to Wikepedia, "At its height it [the British Empire] was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power."

It's so great to be a Briton we are so proud.

PS. America sucks http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/icons/icon10.gif

“On its colonies the sun never sets, but the blood never dries.”
Hope this will shed some light on why Britain was so significant.:wink:
Maybe you want to do a bit of research. The British Empire employed many people from different races (essential for them to become so powerful because they needed people in power who could relate to their countrymen and communicate effectively to their own people), they were the first country to abolish slavery and the first to employ a black man in the armed forces (navy), and they also used many north Indians (Ghurkas) in wars (including both World Wars).

I'm not denying that those things have happened. i'm just saying allot of the stuff they did (invading, taking resources and allowing the slave trade) was very wrong. i doubt that the british empire empowered local populations more than they suppressed them overall. Their aim was to make money and become more powerful not to be a humanitarian group to help others round the world.
Reply 33
OK I ACCEPT WHAT YOUR SAYING AS RIGHT JUST BEAUSE YOU SAID IT. what? you can't just disagree with no actual argument to support it haha.

And we also started the slave trade. i mean people in britain individually started but the British empire did nothing to stop it for a long time and was quite happy to work of its profits. even if it was just done by british individuals it would still would make me very ashamed to be british if was the kind of person who judged a country based on what it did when it was totally politically and culturally different. plus there is an argument that the slave trade stopped because the use of new technology become more economically viable.

Why would it make you ashamed to be British? Its like al this apologising crap to ancestors of slaves. Why would I apologise Im not responsible for what my family did.

The British empire did many bad things and many good things. We should be able to look back objectively and realise some of what we did was bad and some good. You cannot just turn around and say it was all bad.

The Nazi argument is incredible weak. The British may have thought themselves superior as did all white Europeans at the time but the Empire did not in go on deliberate campaigns of genocide. (note the word deliberate)
I'm glad I'm English for many reasons, but it's nothing to do with our history. I'm not proud of my nationality because it's not something to be proud of.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Isn't it rather ironic that in your last comment you said "**** Scotland and Wales" and now you are talking about the British being tolerant to different cultures and races?

Comparing any well developed country to the middle east shows great differences in tolerance. I do agree though, British humour is one of a kind and has yet to feel the blow from our ever 'developing' society.

The class differences aren't perfect? Take a look around! I've met people who have no motivation or drive in life being they are too busy being screwed by capitalism, when I ask them if they're worried about it they look at me with a blank face and ask "What is capitalism?" - Being exploited because of their lesser education and ignorance by the big cats. That sure is a perfect system we have going there. (Not to mention youth unemployment)

British culture is horrific. When I think of the perfect individual that symbolises our country I can't help but picture the tracksuit wearing, cider drinking, Big Brother watching ignorant down the road whose only concern is about alcohol or celebrity gossip. Is that what my grandfathers and great grandfathers were dying for in the trenches? I cannot imagine so.

The UK has its fair share of problems and is still failing in many vital areas, including transport, health and manufacturing (apart from those industries we’ve sold to foreigners). However, we are still world leaders in pageantry, binge drinking and football hooliganism. Major concerns include rising crime (particularly juvenile and violent crime), the uneven quality of state education, a flourishing drugs culture, the failing health service, inequality (the growing gulf between rich and poor), a looming pensions crisis, pollution, awful public transport, homelessness, overcrowded roads, urban blight, a spiralling cost of living and a burgeoning underclass. Apart from that everything is perfect.

I'm just ranting with no aim and my only purpose is to have a say in the great British society people feel inclined to advocate. I hate what our country has become, but I see no change, it will only get worse and worse as we get more separated.

I think the Queen represents Britain more so than a few chavs, though I do think the class divide is bad and I know it will only get worse (under both the conservatives - who want to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, and under labour - the ones who created chavs).
Fair enough the class differences aren't perfect and the chavs our welfare system has created aren't the best people to decide our country's future, but they aren't really 'British' and aren't our culture.

Lol that made my day.

Chavs are a part of our culture as they fuelled the industrial revolution which supported the prodigious Royal Navy!
Reply 37
I'm not denying that those things have happened. i'm just saying allot of the stuff they did (invading, taking resources and allowing the slave trade) was very wrong. i doubt that the british empire empowered local populations more than they suppressed them overall. Their aim was to make money and become more powerful not to be a humanitarian group to help others round the world.

They did actively try to stop slavery around the world. And what you have described applies perfectly to America today, yet you seem to make out the British Empire was the only force of evil ever on this planet, when even though it may have done some wrong things it still did a lot of good - otherwise why would countries like India voluntarily remain in the Commonwealth?
whenever i see something this ridiculous on the internet i always assume it's trolling. however i think trolling is just as stupid, if not more, as responding to trolls themselves. but anyways... umm the british empire is nothing to be proud of. we wen't round the world invading countries, suppressing the local populations and stealing recourses. not to mention the slave trade. being powerful is not admirable, what is admirable is the choosing to do what is right. the British empires values were based on racism and a fundamental belief that the british culture was objectively better, justifying their suppression of cultures and people that they deemed uncivilised. Not allot better than the Nazis.

Your rank assumption about being a troll is out of order and your offensive comments about it as well.

You also cannot impose modern values not present in peoples time...no one in the world was srsly preaching this stuff not even America or w/e country u think was a paradigm of the period.
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
The "hippy" as you call him has a point: you can't be proud of the achievements you weren't a part of.

Sure you can, the ppl who made the achievments were our wonderful ancestors.

Have you every been proud of someone else like a family member for gettting outof depression w/ ur help.

Just a genetic fallacy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending