The Student Room Group

Cambridge Interview: Snow Prevents my Plane!

hey! I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland and have an interview for Cambridge on the 6th, which is next Monday! (5 days from now) I am planning to fly from Edinburgh airport to Stanstead, then get a train from Stanstead to Cambridge. Ed Airport has been shhut 3 days this week already!

What do I do? Do I wait until I know Edinburgh airport will be shut (which should be the day before the interview?), and then phone the college saying I can't come down?

Do I phone the college and say that Edinburgh Airport might be shut so I may not be able to make it?

I can't drive down, not got a decent enough car for these conditions.

Anyone else facing a similar problem?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm the same as you but Glasgow not Edinburgh. I have no idea what we're meant to do :s-smilie: My mum says they'll understand so I hop we'd be able to reschedule.
Train?
Reply 3
Wait until you are sure it'll be cancelled, and then ring up and tell them that you can't make it as the airport is shut, and ask if it can be re-arranged. You might want to check for alternative methods of getting there before ringing up, if the train still works you could try that, even it it would take ages.
Reply 4
Hopefully my train will be able to get there :tongue:
Reply 5
walk to cambridge - demonstrate your commitment
Reply 6
Original post by W.H.T
walk to cambridge - demonstrate your commitment

I second this.
Reply 7
Try get a train? Better yet, CALL THEM and see what they think.
Reply 8
Original post by Athelstan
hey! I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland and have an interview for Cambridge on the 6th, which is next Monday! (5 days from now) I am planning to fly from Edinburgh airport to Stanstead, then get a train from Stanstead to Cambridge. Ed Airport has been shhut 3 days this week already!

What do I do? Do I wait until I know Edinburgh airport will be shut (which should be the day before the interview?), and then phone the college saying I can't come down?

Do I phone the college and say that Edinburgh Airport might be shut so I may not be able to make it?

I can't drive down, not got a decent enough car for these conditions.

Anyone else facing a similar problem?

call them now and tell if it happns what to do?
Reply 9
To all those that suggested trains- they are also severely affected by snow and OP could end up getting stuck somewhere on a train..

OP- Im also worried about this, Im in Cornwall and my interview is on the 6th. Supposed to be flying to Gatwick which is also closed, and my train links after that have also been affected.

Dont know what to do :s
Reply 10
Why don't you guys just try contacting Cambridge and asking them?
Reply 11
I imagine they might release a thing on their website to tell you what to do if the snow is that bad, but you should ring them up, obviously... the Internet generation is so useless sometimes.

About cars, I'm sure any car can cope with a bit of snow on the roads.
Reply 12
Hitch-hike!
I phoned Cambridge

They said they will not be rearranging interviews, but will instead execute them over Skype if we are unable to attend.
Reply 14
Original post by Pheebs1201
I phoned Cambridge

They said they will not be rearranging interviews, but will instead execute them over Skype if we are unable to attend.

Get tae, that's a piss take if ever I saw one. How would I do my maths test over skype? I think I should be able to get there though.
Reply 15
Original post by Pheebs1201
I phoned Cambridge

Are you serious??
For which subjects?
Reply 16
Bum secks?
Original post by davidmarsh01
Get tae, that's a piss take if ever I saw one. How would I do my maths test over skype? I think I should be able to get there though.

I know I personally feel we'd be disadvantaged to those who are interviewed in the flesh too...
Original post by ragaa
Are you serious??
For which subjects?

This is just what they told me earlier today, personally I am applying for PPS but I assume its the same for all subjects?
I doubt they'd do them over skype because some applicants won't have computers in their houses...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending