The Student Room Group

a BIG change...

Hi, basically I'm a gap year student who has A levels in Music, Theatre Studies and Music Tech. I did well in all three of these, and in my chemistry AS, but now I realise that these probably won't lead me any kind of money-making career that I'd be interested in, and want to change. Medicine is something I've been interested in for a long time, but have no idea if it's going to be possible to make a change now. I know that I will need to retake my A levels, Chemistry, Biology and Maths (or accounting? I dunno...), and that I'll be able to get 3 A's, perhaps A* in chem, but what will med schools think to this?

Basically, have I got any chance at getting a place, even if I get the right grades, now that I have an A.B.B.a in my previous A and AS levels? Or will they appreciate the fact that I've taken time out to think about my life choices? :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you thought about studying for another degree and then entering through the graduate entry route to medicine?
Original post by Beska
Have you thought about studying for another degree and then entering through the graduate entry route to medicine?

I wouldn't recommend that as the first choice to do. As it stands students will have to fund £9,000 themselves on the 4 year course and £36,000 on the 5. Plus it's much harder.

Your best bet is to ring some universities you might want to go to. Some say no retakes, but I don't think this is strictly a retake of a subject. If you can't you will have to look at Grad entry
Reply 3
Original post by winter_mute
I wouldn't recommend that as the first choice to do. As it stands students will have to fund £9,000 themselves on the 4 year course and £36,000 on the 5. Plus it's much harder.

Your best bet is to ring some universities you might want to go to. Some say no retakes, but I don't think this is strictly a retake of a subject. If you can't you will have to look at Grad entry

The OP is talking about re-taking some A-Levels, which takes two years anyway. Therefore they'd have to pay the higher fee because they'd be in the 2012 cohort.

It is probably cheaper overall to study another degree while it is cheaper and then pay for the one year of a GEM degree.
there is no guarantee that GEM tuition fees will go on being funded for all three years. a white paper is supposed to be coming out but considering that the cost to the NHS training budget will skyrocket, and the training budget is remaining the same... it depends on how much they prioritise it over other things. as a GEM applicant I'm hopeful but it's dangerous to put all your eggs into one basket assuming that the current system of funding will go on when tuition fees rise.
Look at foundation entry years - they exist for people who have the right grades but the wrong subjects.
Screw grad entry. Do a 6yr premed/foundation course.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Screw grad entry. Do a 6yr premed/foundation course.

This.
Reply 8
May I ask why you are interested in Medicine? Since you didn't take any science subjects at A level apart from AS chemistry I'll assume you aren't the biggest fan. I don't mean to attack you, but medicine is a really long commitment, one you basically have to continue after you've decided to do the degree (there are some people who do leave to do medical law degrees/business etc. but that's a waste of the 6 years imo). All areas of medicine require science, which is far more important than people skills and all the rest of it, and unless you're seriously dedicated in science you're going to have a hard time.

You mention money-making careers; doctors seem to have the impression of being famous, well-regarded and most importantly rich. That's really not true; certainly you'll earn decent wages, but it's going to be some 12-15 years at least after graduation before you become a consultant, and even then it's really only 70k or so. Not bad of course, but hardly millions considering the amount of low-pay work/education you need to get there. If you want money and respect there are far better career choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending