The Student Room Group

Which 2 would you pick to study economics at?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i have no name

im in a extremely similar position as you
i have applied for economics in nottingham and birmingham
economics and finance in york and lancaster

but my aim is strictly an investment banking or a traders position
if i want to get into an accountant job in a big firm i wil stay at my current universirty (keele) doing economics and finance :smile:

from what i hear nottingham is targeterd uni for IB (not as targeted as oxbridge/lse)
please someone feel free to correct me :smile: as i might not be right

Are you applying for an Msc? Either way getting into a BB from Nottingham is hard.
Reply 21
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Ive actually never realised they accept general studies.

tbh it shows that their economics department isn't great as they don't do that for many of their other subjects, so im not too bothered didn't like it that much anyway. Did you know birmingham have given out some offers to people applying to oxbridge/before deadline.
Reply 22
Original post by Wezzler
tbh it shows that their economics department isn't great as they don't do that for many of their other subjects, so im not too bothered didn't like it that much anyway. Did you know birmingham have given out some offers to people applying to oxbridge/before deadline.

I don't mind if I go to York or not i really like the course structure and I want to go on to do an msc after my degree anyway. However, Birmingham is one of my big choices i sent mine off on the 14th of October and I haven't received anything, we could be on the maybe pile im not sure.
Reply 23
Original post by Wezzler

i) York's Economics department is a lot stronger than you might think.
ii) You have obviously not been to their new Goodricke College either if you think the campus is terrible.
Reply 24
Hi everyone Ive recieved offers from York Lancaster and Surrey as an undergraduate to study bsc economics. Im still waiting on Birmingham and Nottingham I am just wondering which university you would choose as a firm and insurance. My main ambition in life is to work in the city either at a big accountancy firm or at an investment bank.

Here are their grade requirements: York-AAB-offer
Lancaster-AAB-offer
Surrey-ABB-offer
Birmingham-AAB-still waiting
Nottingham-AAA-AABB-still waiting

Take a look at the TAELT 2011.

Nottingham/York/Birmingham are the stronger universities and have similar reputations, it would be silly to choose one over the other based on reputation. Consider other aspects also.
Reply 25
Original post by SPMS
Take a look at the TAELT 2011.

Nottingham/York/Birmingham are the stronger universities and have similar reputations, it would be silly to choose one over the other based on reputation. Consider other aspects also.

Im attending several open days around February time, hopefully the open days will give me a better indication to how I feel about the campus course and city.
Reply 26
Original post by TheBigCh
Nottingham have frequent visits from the big investment banks, it's a top target for them

For a Economics graduate from any of these universities (with no post-grad qualifications) will find it a lot harder than those with the 'brand'. How do we even know that the OP wishes to go into banking?
Original post by yoyo462001
Are you applying for an Msc? Either way getting into a BB from Nottingham is hard.

so will i be better off staying at keele? then applying to do masters at a targeted uni? or should i go nottingham? providing i get my offer
and no i have applied for a BSC (L100) in UCAS
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Hi everyone Ive recieved offers from York Lancaster and Surrey as an undergraduate to study bsc economics. Im still waiting on Birmingham and Nottingham I am just wondering which university you would choose as a firm and insurance. My main ambition in life is to work in the city either at a big accountancy firm or at an investment bank.

Here are their grade requirements: York-AAB-offer
Lancaster-AAB-offer
Surrey-ABB-offer
Birmingham-AAB-still waiting
Nottingham-AAA-AABB-still waiting

Congratulations on your offers :smile: - but also for your aspirations. It's great to see people aim high!
Reply 29
so will i be better off staying at keele? then applying to do masters at a targeted uni? or should i go nottingham? providing i get my offer
and no i have applied for a BSC (L100) in UCAS

Sorry to but in, but maybe I could help.
You are currently doing BSc Economics at Keele? Then applied to Nottingham to do the same course?
Reply 30
Im attending several open days around February time, hopefully the open days will give me a better indication to how I feel about the campus course and city.

You can't make a mistake career prospects wise. All very good universities :smile: well done.
Original post by SPMS
Sorry to but in, but maybe I could help.
You are currently doing BSc Economics at Keele? Then applied to Nottingham to do the same course?

no problem at all :smile: noo im doing BA economics and finance at keele but i have applied to do BSC Economics in Nottingham :smile: i only went keele because i wanted to stay local for university but this is a decision i greatly regret
Reply 32
Original post by SPMS
For a Economics graduate from any of these universities (with no post-grad qualifications) will find it a lot harder than those with the 'brand'. How do we even know that the OP wishes to go into banking?

1) Nottingham is, FACT, as much of a target by the top investment banks.
2) Read the OP.
Notts.
2) Read the OP.

Why do you say this? I mean do you have any source? I always knew it was just six universities that were targets and Notts isn't one of them.. Not being critical I'm just curious cos I'll probably keep Nottingham as insurance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by SPMS
i) York's Economics department is a lot stronger than you might think.
ii) You have obviously not been to their new Goodricke College either if you think the campus is terrible.

I get that its strong, but it still one of their weakest departments, and also imo southampton and bham are better overall taking other factors into account as well. Just pray to go i get offers from them, or else i may have made a mistake not putting in york.
Reply 36
Original post by SPMS
You can't make a mistake career prospects wise. All very good universities :smile: well done.

Reply 37
Original post by Wezzler
I get that its strong, but it still one of their weakest departments, and also imo southampton and bham are better overall taking other factors into account as well. Just pray to go i get offers from them, or else i may have made a mistake not putting in york.

GCSE results?
AS level results?
Predictions?
Reply 38
no problem at all :smile: noo im doing BA economics and finance at keele but i have applied to do BSC Economics in Nottingham :smile: i only went keele because i wanted to stay local for university but this is a decision i greatly regret

It is banking you are wanting to get into?

Personally I think you are fine at Keele, if you gain a very high 2.1, prefably a first. Then as you say go on to a big brand name with a MSc in a strong subject, finance etc.

More importantly however, you need to make contacts in this type of field. I would put this at the top of your priority list (the more people you know, the better they know you, trust me the better chance you will have), then work experience, then the first and following MSc.

I think having Nottingham on your CV instead of Keele is not a huge issue, yes if you wern't going to do a masters and you ended up with the same classification it would be better for this field, but even so you would struggle still. If you were going to do a masters after your Nottingham degree then, I still think then you will be in a very similar postion as you would be if you followed this path.

I hope I helped :smile:
Reply 39
2) Read the OP.

Why is the competitiveness so loow compared to the 'targetd' ones then?
As people know that Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick are far more respected by bankers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending