The Student Room Group

Donate blood

Scroll to see replies

Im glad you posted this. I always intended to but recently it's slipped my mind. However last night i looked up where i can give blood, and booked an appointment. I gave blood for the first time a few hours ago, and i intend on doing it again soon.
Reply 81
Original post by Sky_Dream
Im glad you posted this. I always intended to but recently it's slipped my mind. However last night i looked up where i can give blood, and booked an appointment. I gave blood for the first time a few hours ago, and i intend on doing it again soon.

Well done!! :congrats:
I definitely would if I was able to by general anaesthetic.
Original post by Jazmine

Original post by Jazmine
Ah! They take the stem cells from the blood stream - after pumping up its quantity? Can you choose which method you want then?

Essentially, yes. The chemokine causes the stemcells to leave the marrow and enter the blood stream, the machine then separates them out and returns the blood back into you.

I don't think you can choose, I think you're told if you're called which it will be, but my understanding is that it's more commonly the apheresis method.
i would if i was over the stupid weight limit :mad:
Original post by chemical_bex
I definitely would if I was able to by general anaesthetic.

Don't you like needles? Or blood?
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Don't you like needles? Or blood?

I have a horrible horrible phobia of both.
I really want to be able to help people, but even thinking about it makes me woozy! :frown:
Reply 87
I really want to be able to help people, but even thinking about it makes me woozy! :frown:

Don't worry about it too much, my friend is so scared of (only her own) blood she drops to the floor as soon as she sees it, that doesn't help anybody!

It might be worth trying to do something about the phobia though, you never know when you might to be injected in an emergency.
Original post by Larrabee
Don't worry about it too much, my friend is so scared of (only her own) blood she drops to the floor as soon as she sees it, that doesn't help anybody!

It might be worth trying to do something about the phobia though, you never know when you might to be injected in an emergency.

Part of the reason I'm keen to give blood is to get over my phobia of needles =D Fight the fear and all that!

I find general anaesthetic worse than blood donation lol, I loathe those cannula (spelling?) after having hundreds of them stuck in my hand over the summer.
I have found it's much better though if you take a friend to distract you and because you're lying down it means your less likely to faint. Facing your fear might help!
I really want to...little scared of needles though.....maybe in couple years time
Original post by ragaa
Well done!! :congrats:

Haha thank you! To be honest i've been meaning to do it for a while, but could never muster the courage on the day, or didn't know where they were being held. I booked an appointment last night and i didn't want to let them down, so i went in. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be! Doing it again in four months.
Reply 92
Can't donate because I had a blood transfusion as a baby. :frown:
Original post by Holly Hiskey
I find general anaesthetic worse than blood donation lol, I loathe those cannula (spelling?) after having hundreds of them stuck in my hand over the summer.
I have found it's much better though if you take a friend to distract you and because you're lying down it means your less likely to faint. Facing your fear might help!

I had a kind of that in my arm for like a year. It was either that or continuous injections -shudder-
My friends won't come with me, neither will my mum! I turn into a 3 year old at the sight of a needle, they're too embarrassed :colondollar:
Although I know I need to face my fear. I'm having blood tests tomorrow (aahh) but surely the more blood tests I get the better I'll get with blood and stuff and I can give blood :biggrin:
That was a bit of a ramble :colondollar:
Reply 94
Original post by Bella_Gail
Can't donate because I had a blood transfusion as a baby. :frown:

Do you know the reason for which you are not allowed?
Reply 95
I had a kind of that in my arm for like a year. It was either that or continuous injections -shudder-
My friends won't come with me, neither will my mum! I turn into a 3 year old at the sight of a needle, they're too embarrassed :colondollar:
Although I know I need to face my fear. I'm having blood tests tomorrow (aahh) but surely the more blood tests I get the better I'll get with blood and stuff and I can give blood :biggrin:
That was a bit of a ramble :colondollar:

so How did your blood tests sessions go?:biggrin:
Reply 96
Original post by ragaa
Do you know the reason for which you are not allowed?

Because of the blood transfusion, which is pretty stupid since I was days old when i got it. :tongue:
Reply 97
Original post by Bella_Gail
Because of the blood transfusion, which is pretty stupid since I was days old when i got it. :tongue:

yeah it is.
I too had when I was baby( got speticemia) that made me wanted to donate blood. :colondollar:
I dont know anyone who donates blood me included but why should we really?
Reply 99
Original post by Jackthevillain
I dont know anyone who donates blood me included but why should we really?

You don’t need a special reason to give blood.

1. You just need your own reason.
2. Some of us give blood because we were asked by a friend.
3. Some know that a family member or a friend might need blood some day.
4. Some believe it is the right thing we do.
5. Whatever your reason, the need is constant and your contribution is important for a healthy and reliable blood supply. And you’ll feel good knowing you've helped change a life.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending