The Student Room Group

Who else is glad that england dont get to host the world cup 2018 and 2022

I am. I tend to not support england in these sort of campaigns (regardless of how much of that "we're all part of britain so we should support them" BS), but the reaction to the result has convinced me that i was right to not support them in the first place.

its just the shear arrogance of the english people.

take this article for example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335026/World-Cup-England-lose-bid-host-2018-event.html

whats with the guy whos going on about "being promised votes that england didnt recieve"? im sure whoever chose to vote against england, had their reasons.

I totally agree with the guy (he worked for fifa) who said a few years ago that FIFA hates england, just due to how ignorant and arrogant the english are. he got fired for his comments i think; either way he is totally right.

england will never gain the support it thinks it has, until it loses the sense of self-righteousness. take, for example, all the people giving sepp blatter abuse. **** happens, get over it.

england acts almost like they had won it by default, with the reaction they are showing.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
They are just patriotic people who wanted to see the world cup hosted in England. They may show this in ways that dont appeal to you or other people but thats how they are.
If I'm honest, I really don't mind where the cups are held so long as the matches are on TV at sensible times.
well i will happily support Scotland's bid for the World Cup (using money scrounged off London no doubt)

oh wait, no i won't
I'm a bit disappointed that the World Cup won't be on my doorstep. Although, listening to their deeply unlikeable media greeting into their mics at the moment is a decent consolation prize.
Reply 6
it's hilarious!! wonder when news of the world will step in..
Ecstatic we didn't get it.

One of the main points of awarding the world cup is to improve the reputation and prominence of football in that country. In England football couldn't be bigger so what's the point?

Also we can't afford it. Shouldn't be having the olympics either but hey...
Reply 8
Tbh, unless its North Korea where they would definitely change the game scores, I don't mind where the matches are being held.
Reply 9
Original post by SumTingWong

Totally agree. I am originally from N Ireland and that is why the people there (even the unionists) dislike english. They are so arrogant.

I am soooo glad they didn't get to host it.
I am. I tend to not support england in these sort of campaigns (regardless of how much of that "we're all part of britain so we should support them" BS), but the reaction to the result has convinced me that i was right to not support them in the first place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335026/World-Cup-England-lose-bid-host-2018-event.html

whats with the guy whos going on about "being promised votes that england didnt recieve"? im sure whoever chose to vote against england, had their reasons.

I totally agree with the guy (he worked for fifa) who said a few years ago that FIFA hates england, just due to how ignorant and arrogant the english are. he got fired for his comments i think; either way he is totally right.

england will never gain the support it thinks it has, until it loses the sense of self-righteousness. take, for example, all the people giving sepp blatter abuse. **** happens, get over it.

england acts almost like they had won it by default, with the reaction they are showing.

It can't be easy being Scottish. Is it hard living in our shadow?
Reply 11
I don't think that we're being arrogant because we're dissapointed that we didn't get the chance to host the World Cup. I'd have loved it to be here because who wouldn't like to have the World Cup on their doorstep? People are passionate about football in this country, hence why there is always the analysis of 'what went wrong' when things don't go our way, but i don't think that's arrogance it's just dissapointment. If members of Fifa (as was reported in the press) were saying that they enjoyed England's presentation/thought that England had a good chance of winning, i don't see why it's arrogant that we thought we were in with a good chance?
Reply 12
Original post by Mr. Orange
well i will happily support Scotland's bid for the World Cup (using money scrounged off London no doubt)

oh wait, no i won't

england have always had a habit of exagerrating their abilities in the world cup. ffs you won the world cup once, yet every world cup you seem to think you're about to win it, but you make it to the knockout stages before going out on penalties (again) or getting your arse handed to you by teams like germany.
Original post by ABCI23
It can't be easy being Scottish. Is it hard living in our shadow?

Scotland isn't really overshadowed by any country. Even in football, we have a pretty proud tradition.
Reply 14
Typical trite pc **** getting Beckham promoting the bid from a south african township.

I love you!
I am so glad this country needs to get good players before it ever hosts the world cup...
Reply 17
Original post by BellaBoo
I don't think that we're being arrogant because we're dissapointed that we didn't get the chance to host the World Cup. I'd have loved it to be here because who wouldn't like to have the World Cup on their doorstep? People are passionate about football in this country, hence why there is always the analysis of 'what went wrong' when things don't go our way, but i don't think that's arrogance it's just dissapointment. If members of Fifa (as was reported in the press) were saying that they enjoyed England's presentation/thought that England had a good chance of winning, i don't see why it's arrogant that we thought we were in with a good chance?

lets take sky news from yesterday as an example.

sky news had the audacity to claim that Russia had killed off their chances when putin said he wouldnt attend the ceremony today. they tried to make it out to be like he couldnt be arsed going.

whereas, what he actually said was that he didnt want to put pressure on fifa like david cameron
Original post by pina.Love
I am so glad this country needs to get good players before it ever hosts the world cup...

Possibly reflective that it got knocked out in the first round then?

On a serious note: the World Cup would be in 8 years time, the England team will be radically different.
Original post by S129439
Ecstatic we didn't get it.

One of the main points of awarding the world cup is to improve the reputation and prominence of football in that country. In England football couldn't be bigger so what's the point?

Also we can't afford it. Shouldn't be having the olympics either but hey...

what couldn't afford building football stadiums we all ready have

if thats the case about reputation why give it to germany in 2006? one of the most strongest league in Europe

i would have loved to had the world cup here, the greatest sporting event in the world, did you not see what it does to a country

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending