The Student Room Group

Who else is glad that england dont get to host the world cup 2018 and 2022

Scroll to see replies

Really sucks when it goes to country like Russia & Qatar who are going to have the same problems India faced with the commonwealth games. If we had lost to the likes of USA, Australia, China Dubai etc i could understand it but Russia come onnnnnn!!!!
England simply don't deserve to get it as much as other nations in my opinion. There are much more deserving countries. For me I was absolutely shocked Australia didn't get the 2022 spot. They have world class facilities and are a fantastic sporting nation - I think it would be brilliant to host the world cup in Australia. Instead it went to Qatar? They've never even qualified for the World cup, they haven't even got a league for God's Sake!
Reply 22
Original post by SumTingWong
lets take sky news from yesterday as an example.

sky news had the audacity to claim that Russia had killed off their chances when putin said he wouldnt attend the ceremony today. they tried to make it out to be like he couldnt be arsed going.

whereas, what he actually said was that he didnt want to put pressure on fifa like david cameron

Right but how does the media being arrogant imply that the English PEOPLE are arrogant?
england have always had a habit of exagerrating their abilities in the world cup. ffs you won the world cup once, yet every world cup you seem to think you're about to win it, but you make it to the knockout stages before going out on penalties (again) or getting your arse handed to you by teams like germany.

At least we don't lose to teams like the Faroe Islands
Me. Yes it will generate loads of money, but why should everything face more cuts when were getting ourselves into debt by trying to hold silly things like weddings and sporting events.
Original post by BellaBoo
Right but how does the media being arrogant imply that the English PEOPLE are arrogant?

Unless you fly outside pundits in, the media are made up of the English people. Further, they remain in the media because people listen to them/read their articles/watch their shows so it can be assumed that people agree with them [or there are a lot of self-loathers out there] and are influenced by their views.
Reply 26
I thought it would have been decent in England. Oh well.

Me. We're hosting the Olympics in 2012, it's not the end of the world...

Plus, those revelations over FIFA should have been made public. Why should a corrupt system be allowed to continue, taking millions for fools?
Original post by robinson999
what couldn't afford building football stadiums we all ready have

if thats the case about reputation why give it to germany in 2006? one of the most strongest league in Europe

i would have loved to had the world cup here, the greatest sporting event in the world, did you not see what it does to a country

The plans to host the world cup in England proposed building four brand new stadia and upgrading several others (which stadia and how many were not yet agreed). So that would have cost hundreds of millions of pounds. which we don't have.

Germany isn't as big on football as us. We have better, more successful teams and football in England has a larger representation than in Germany where, while admittedly large, is one of many sports that is widely broadcast and covered.

And on a selfish note, why would we want to bring all that poor play and disappointment to our home country?
Reply 29
Original post by Mr. Orange
At least we don't lose to teams like the Faroe Islands

we played faroe islands twice in the last 8 years and not lost once

at least we didnt humiliate ourselves against trinidad and tobago

your point?
we played faroe islands twice in the last 8 years and not lost once

at least we didnt humiliate ourselves against trinidad and tobago

your point?

my point is that you're a ******* retard

see ya
Reply 31
I'm glad as well we didn't get it, bunch of sore losers that they are crying over it now, boo hoo
Reply 32
They obviously thought that they could walk it. Shows them right!
Original post by S129439
The plans to host the world cup in England proposed building four brand new stadia and upgrading several others (which stadia and how many were not yet agreed). So that would have cost hundreds of millions of pounds. which we don't have.

Germany isn't as big on football as us. We have better, more successful teams and football in England has a larger representation than in Germany where, while admittedly large, is one of many sports that is widely broadcast and covered.

And on a selfish note, why would we want to bring all that poor play and disappointment to our home country?

its 2 new stadia which the clubs themselves are building anyway so would had the funding already in place, improvements most clubs would plan do themselves anyway
it would cost that much, the improvement cost would be wiped out by income we get anyway
lets not 2012 as its different you are building everything which is going to cost more

germany is massive on football, funny how they keep beating us, their league has awesome players like of Ribéry, Robben, Schweinsteiger

what poor play, getting the best players in the world playing football, the hype would be for england, what disappointment, see what happens when we host the champion league final this year fans no matter if you support the teams there or not will try and go and be about the place
Reply 34
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Unless you fly outside pundits in, the media are made up of the English people. Further, they remain in the media because people listen to them/read their articles/watch their shows so it can be assumed that people agree with them [or there are a lot of self-loathers out there] and are influenced by their views.

Right ok, so because a minority of English people are in the media means that all 50 or so million of us are arrogant? And stuff like this (e.g. World Cup losses etc) only makes up a tiny amount of stuff reported on in the English media, thus not enough to make us stop watching if we disagree with their views. Plus, Sky News is shown in Scotland as well is it not? So maybe i'm to assume that all of the above can also apply to Scottish people?
I am. I tend to not support england in these sort of campaigns (regardless of how much of that "we're all part of britain so we should support them" BS), but the reaction to the result has convinced me that i was right to not support them in the first place.

its just the shear arrogance of the english people.

take this article for example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335026/World-Cup-England-lose-bid-host-2018-event.html

whats with the guy whos going on about "being promised votes that england didnt recieve"? im sure whoever chose to vote against england, had their reasons.

I totally agree with the guy (he worked for fifa) who said a few years ago that FIFA hates england, just due to how ignorant and arrogant the english are. he got fired for his comments i think; either way he is totally right.

england will never gain the support it thinks it has, until it loses the sense of self-righteousness. take, for example, all the people giving sepp blatter abuse. **** happens, get over it.

england acts almost like they had won it by default, with the reaction they are showing.

Replace "english" with "english media" and you may have a point. The media screwed us over no doubt but there are millions of people in this country who would have loved a world cup here and now won't get to see one, possibly in their lifetimes. Much more people than the entire population of Qatar anyway. These people aren't arrogant, they are just normal people who love football.
Original post by Mr. Orange
well i will happily support Scotland's bid for the World Cup (using money scrounged off London no doubt)

oh wait, no i won't

Well said. I was prepared to take the thread seriously until it turned out it was just a Scottish attempt to twist the knife :smile:

Holding 2 world cup draws at once was a big mistake - meant there was a lot of vote trading going on. I mean Qatar 2022 - FFS!!:s-smilie:
I am so glad "we" (not that I count myself part of the football-loving mob) didn't get it, I can't stand World Cup fever and the hooligans that come with it.
In reference to that article
Tiny Qatar is surprise winner of bid to host the 2022 event

How is that a surprise? C'mon, it was so obvious they were going to get it.
Reply 39
So glad England didn't get it. Laughed my head when I saw people's reaction. This usless pathetic country doesn't deserve to stage a WC. It's a very unattractive country to visit and the arrogant attitude this country has is probably why no could be bothered to vote for them. This "we're better than everybody else attitude" in this country is many reasons why people dislike it so much. England is sh$t, deal with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending