The Student Room Group

Chance to speak to a GP but don't know what to say??

Hi

I want to be a doctor, in particular a GP so i have started looking for work experience in local health centres. I wrote a lot of letters and all but one wrote back saying i am too young/ against confidentiality/ not training practice. However my own health centre wrote back saying that, thought they could not offer e work experience, the doctors would agree to meet with me and give me advice and things. I am of course going to write back saying that I want to go, but what should i ask them?

Do you think that they'll mind talking to me when they could be with patient??
Reply 1
What do you want to know about your potential future career? Ask them that!

I'd personally ask about their views on Lansley's health reforms, too.
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
What do you want to know about your potential future career? Ask them that!

I'd personally ask about their views on Lansley's health reforms, too.

Interesting idea....
Reply 3
Original post by WanaBdoctor
Hi

I want to be a doctor, in particular a GP so i have started looking for work experience in local health centres. I wrote a lot of letters and all but one wrote back saying i am too young/ against confidentiality/ not training practice. However my own health centre wrote back saying that, thought they could not offer e work experience, the doctors would agree to meet with me and give me advice and things. I am of course going to write back saying that I want to go, but what should i ask them?

They will probably be taking some time out in one of their breaks etc. I would ask things about what do you find difficult about the job, what did you enjoy/dislike at medical school, what made you become a GP etc.

Ask the challenging questions, probe the negatives...you will find plenty of people willing to offer the positive side of medicine but hearing some of the challenges right from the coalface will give you a much more real perspective and make you sound more rounded at interview :wink:
Reply 4
I'm having this problem too, I work in a GP surgery (trust me, paperwork is BORING), and I could quite easily just ask one of the doctors to talk to me, but I'm not sure what I should ask, especially to help through interviews.

I'll probably ask about the negatives and positives, and ask what sort of thing they might ask about in the way of current NHS stories in the paper ect (cuts, cuts, cuts...)

But is there anything else I could ask?

Anything someone else who might not be able to get to see a doctor for long wants me to ask?
Reply 5
Ask him about...

Hardest part of the job?
What would he change if he could to improve patient care?
Why did he become a doctor and was it what he expected?
Reply 6
Original post by WanaBdoctor

If they minded then they wouldn't have offered.
Reply 7
What's the most interesting case they've seen?
Ask them about their experience at med school/F1/F2/GP training?
What do they like best/least about the lifestyle of a GP?
What do they like best/least about the work of a GP?
What made them decide to become a GP?
When did they decide which area of medicine they wanted to work in?
etc

use your imagination :smile:

Don't worry about taking them away from patients, they're probably talking to you during a break or between patients. Just be friendly and open, they're not gonna bite! :smile: Relax and ask as many questions as you like until you get what you want out of the session (obviously don't keep firing questions for an hour, but you get what I mean! :p:)

Have fun! :smile:
Ask him/her about GP commissioning. You'll quite possibly fill in a whole afternoon with his/her answer/rant :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by graemematt
Ask him/her about GP commissioning. You'll quite possibly fill in a whole afternoon with his/her answer/rant :smile:

Third year?? The kids are growing up :tongue: Well done :smile:

Tbh, I wouldn't mind going on a £80Bn spending spree - the royal college of GPs has a image of GPs held to ransom outside their homes and practices...I can imagine GPs in rural areas arming themselves with shotguns.
Original post by Wangers
Third year?? The kids are growing up :tongue: Well done :smile:

Tbh, I wouldn't mind going on a £80Bn spending spree - the royal college of GPs has a image of GPs held to ransom outside their homes and practices...I can imagine GPs in rural areas arming themselves with shotguns.

Haha, yeah third year now and growing up very fast! I feel like an 80yr old trapped inside a young adult body...bed by 10 and preferring "a couple of quiet pints with the guys" to going out on the lash! Why didnt you warn me about how quickly you age in medicine?? Haha...

And also, I thought GPs in rural areas already had shotguns? Or have I been playing too much Red Dead Redemption...
Reply 11
Original post by Jimmypenny
I'm having this problem too, I work in a GP surgery (trust me, paperwork is BORING), and I could quite easily just ask one of the doctors to talk to me, but I'm not sure what I should ask, especially to help through interviews.

I'll probably ask about the negatives and positives, and ask what sort of thing they might ask about in the way of current NHS stories in the paper ect (cuts, cuts, cuts...)

But is there anything else I could ask?

Anything someone else who might not be able to get to see a doctor for long wants me to ask?

Hey

How did you get a job there??
Original post by graemematt
Haha, yeah third year now and growing up very fast! I feel like an 80yr old trapped inside a young adult body...bed by 10 and preferring "a couple of quiet pints with the guys" to going out on the lash! Why didnt you warn me about how quickly you age in medicine?? Haha...

And also, I thought GPs in rural areas already had shotguns? Or have I been playing too much Red Dead Redemption...

Oh dear lord, I'm like this already and I'm only 1st year :sad:

OP I had this opportunity, and it was for a whole afternoon - he gave me a practice tour (which was actually quite big) and showed me various things. I found that you naturally thought of questions along the way, and that their answers brought up more questions, so as long as you have a few in your head then you should be okay. And if you really can't think of anything, then just say you don't have any more question at the moment, but ask if there's a way of contacting them should you think of any more :smile:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Oh dear lord, I'm like this already and I'm only 1st year :sad:

OP I had this opportunity, and it was for a whole afternoon - he gave me a practice tour (which was actually quite big) and showed me various things. I found that you naturally thought of questions along the way, and that their answers brought up more questions, so as long as you have a few in your head then you should be okay. And if you really can't think of anything, then just say you don't have any more question at the moment, but ask if there's a way of contacting them should you think of any more :smile:

This! :smile:

OP, I've just had a few days work experience at a GP practice, and was worried about what I should be asking them...but it all just seemed to come naturally (I spoke to them at break/lunch about their career etc..., and after each patient, I would ask them about the condition (or they would explain it to me beforehand) :biggrin:

Don't worry about it! :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending