The Student Room Group

Connecting speakers to projector

I've tried searching google for speakers you can connect to a projector, but it returns a load of gobble-di-gook.

I need some straight forward advice on what speakers to get for my projector, as it currently gives off a really tinny sound.

I'll put details up later of what projector I have, just wondering if there are any generic answers? Can the speakers just be plugged into the headphone jack?

Help please!
Reply 1
If there's a headphone jack on the projector then you can probably use that.

Depending on how the projector is connected and what it's connected to can you not just connect speakers to the output of what ever's providing the picture ?
Reply 2
Original post by mfaxford
If there's a headphone jack on the projector then you can probably use that.

Depending on how the projector is connected and what it's connected to can you not just connect speakers to the output of what ever's providing the picture ?

At the moment I've only got my XBox connected to the projector. I will have my laptop connected to it as well, but ideally I'd like decent sound when playing XBox as well as watching films, so unless there are decent speakers I could connect to both XBox 360 and laptop, I need some that connect straight to the projector...
Original post by Steezy
At the moment I've only got my XBox connected to the projector. I will have my laptop connected to it as well, but ideally I'd like decent sound when playing XBox as well as watching films, so unless there are decent speakers I could connect to both XBox 360 and laptop, I need some that connect straight to the projector...

what projector?
I connect mine through a receiver (5.1) using a HDMI connection. Sounds spiffing!!
Reply 4
Original post by Mrm.
what projector?
I connect mine through a receiver (5.1) using a HDMI connection. Sounds spiffing!!

This is the projector - http://www.propertyroom.com/itemdetails.aspx?l=6656412

If possible, please could you send me links of exactly what I'll need (I don't even know what an HDMI cable is, or if there are different types for different things). Basically I need a complete idiots guide to connecting speakers (preferably speakers with a sub woofer like these - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en-GB&q=logitech+speakers&cid=8079947046000779300&ei=gPn3TJG2L6P6zAXo9vX4DA&sa=title&ved=0CAkQ8wIwADgA#p)

Thanks
Reply 5
What connections are you using on the back of the projector.

From what I can see it looks like there's not HDMI connection so it's likely the audio is separate from the video.
Original post by Steezy
This is the projector - http://www.propertyroom.com/itemdetails.aspx?l=6656412

If possible, please could you send me links of exactly what I'll need (I don't even know what an HDMI cable is, or if there are different types for different things). Basically I need a complete idiots guide to connecting speakers (preferably speakers with a sub woofer like these - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en-GB&q=logitech+speakers&cid=8079947046000779300&ei=gPn3TJG2L6P6zAXo9vX4DA&sa=title&ved=0CAkQ8wIwADgA#p)

Thanks

The speakers you mention will work. In fact any 2.1 system of this nature will work.
Reply 7
Original post by mfaxford
What connections are you using on the back of the projector.

From what I can see it looks like there's not HDMI connection so it's likely the audio is separate from the video.

It doesn't say hdmi on the back.... The audio out bit can connect normal earphones, so I guess I need speakers with a headphone jack connection? At the moment I've only got my xbox connected via scart leads. Any ideas?
Reply 8
Original post by Steezy
It doesn't say hdmi on the back.... The audio out bit can connect normal earphones, so I guess I need speakers with a headphone jack connection? At the moment I've only got my xbox connected via scart leads. Any ideas?

You could use the headphone output to run speakers. This will require the projector to be on though to use the speakers. it will also depend on what audio inputs the projector has and how they're linked to the video inputs.

My projector for example has DVI, VGA, S-Video and composite inputs but only one audio input. From quick searches online I cannot see what audio input(s) your projector has.

HDMI is something that would be a little bit special as it combines audio and video. Generally everything else is separate (or easily separated).

It sounds like your choices are:
If the projector has multiple audio inputs and they're suitably linked with the video inputs then you could plug your speakers into the headphone jack on there. The downside is that you will need the projector on if you want to listen to music from the laptop. (Or you'll be constantly moving plugs around)

Or you could keep sound totally away from the projector. The easiest way of doing that is if the speakers have multiple inputs. Maybe analogue & digital using the digital input with one of the devices and analouge with the other.

If the speakers only have a single input then the options (keeping sound away from the projector) are along the lines of: swap cables around as needed, get a small mixer to combine the audio sources, buy two pairs of speakers.

(The solution I have at home is to keep sound and video separate and have all my audio sources plugged into a mixer and then into much amp and big speakers)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending