The Student Room Group

I hate intellectuals

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRevolution
They have such a high opinion of themselves - probably leading to their happiness.

They understadn things and dont struggle as much as others, they get to go to the best Universities and feel aggradised.

They get to come up with good ideas and think with great clarity of mind.

They get pleasure out of writing essays about interesting topics while others' brains just struggle and don't have the minds necessary to digest the question and be original.

All of these amazing blessings are handed to the intelliectually gifted by complete chance and luck. There is no justification for it other than they did well in that one chanc one gets before birth in the genetic lottery. A competition that dictates the happiness and satisfaction of your whole life.

These people bloody awful.

It's not purely genetic, it has a lot to do with one's environment.

In a meritocratic society, the intellectuals and the skilled are rewarded the most, and that's how I think society should work. If you're an intellectual, you'll end up in a position with a lot of work/responsibility and be paid accordingly. If you're very skilled at something, which is a required skill, you'll be paid accordingly since you're in demand.

You don't have to be intellectual to have a good life, I imagine there are plenty of tradesmen who didn't go to college or university yet do amazingly well for themselves, because they're damn good at what they do. Sure, intellectual people like lawyers, politicians, top ranking civil servants etc get paid a lot, but on the whole they deserve it.

Not everyone is equal, and it's not possible to treat everyone as being equal, but you don't need to be intellectual to be happy in life. There are plenty of people who get into good jobs based on hard work alone. Don't think intellectuals don't work hard, because to get into those top universities is never easy, regardless of how clever one may be.
I hate scrotes and dullards. why like/respect people who contribute little to human advancement and the world around them?
This post sounds like a wind up.
Original post by adam0311
hahaha you to

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do to occupy myself tomorrow to keep my mind off of it. London is 5 hours ahead from where I live. So I just have to make it from wakeup to noon.

Lucky, I have to get up at 8 :tongue: 9 hours of torture.
Reply 44
TSR is full of trolls (or really stupid people) and people who are easily trolled.
Reply 45
I think OP meant condescending intellectuals.
Reply 46
you're an idiot
Reply 47
They have such a high opinion of themselves - probably leading to their happiness.

They understadn things and dont struggle as much as others, they get to go to the best Universities and feel aggradised.

They get pleasure out of writing essays about interesting topics while others' brains just struggle and don't have the minds necessary to digest the question and be original.

All of these amazing blessings are handed to the intelliectually gifted by complete chance and luck. There is no justification for it other than they did well in that one chanc one gets before birth in the genetic lottery. A competition that dictates the happiness and satisfaction of your whole life.

Whoa. Overgeneralisation, much.

You might regard me as an 'intellectual' or at least, my mother does. (She's like you, from what I gather)

High opinion of myself? Nope. My 'self-critical-ness' is so bad it has been referred to as 'like talking to a stubborn 5 year old'

Happiness - occasional despair with a touch of elation, but not happy fluffy bunny sheep stuff

Understand things - Yes, but sometimes only after hours of work on it.

Don't stuggle - Oh dear, yes I do.

Clarity of mind - My mind is less organised than christmas shoppers on boxing day

Essay pleasure - Everyone has their own subject/interest. Yes I enjoy some questions, but others (about soil, for instance) are monotonous.

Blessings - Yes I suppose you could say there are blessings, but they do come at the price of a few little things called continuous hardwork, hypervigilance, and disposition to alot of other unpleasantries

Chance and luck - again, refer to the words harwork, dedication, etc

happiness and satisfaction of your whole life. - now this one, i will just laugh at.

Intellectual ability does not guarantee you anything other than grades, uni, and maybe a job. No otherwise positive aspects of life.

I'm sure people out there will hate you too -
Reply 48
They have such a high opinion of themselves - probably leading to their happiness..

Who says being intellectual brings happiness?

They understadn things and dont struggle as much as others, they get to go to the best Universities and feel aggradised...

Some really ordinary, or even terrible, talents with really ordinary grades go to the 'best' universities as well.

They get to come up with good ideas and think with great clarity of mind....

Like absent minded professors, they often have great glaring blind spots which, due to some relative success in maybe 1 field only, they feel particularly touchy about.

They get pleasure out of writing essays about interesting topics while others' brains just struggle and don't have the minds necessary to digest the question and be original.....

And when in real life does anyone ask to look at people's essays?

All of these amazing blessings are handed to the intelliectually gifted by complete chance and luck. There is no justification for it other than they did well in that one chanc one gets before birth in the genetic lottery. A competition that dictates the happiness and satisfaction of your whole life..

They're not always such amazing blessings. They're certainly not always chance and luck (although the family that you are born in to, the school you go to may be) but there's also work involved..

Some are, some aren't. Don't be too hard on them or anyone else. They may really want to be rock stars.
Reply 49
Wise choice of outlet, wise choice indeed...

For a bored troll.
I think this is really bad for you, OP, for you only.
Reply 51
Such people have neither the time nor the effort to pay attention to your disdain towards them and people(s) of their calibre, in essence I feel you should refrain from insulting them, especially the intellectual, Ozymandias
Reply 53
haven't read the thread or anything, but i'd just like to say the smartest people i know (i don't just mean omg he got 100% in a maths test or he got straight As ) definitely don't act uppity. there are many people who think they are smart but that's natural and it no longer angers me. i'm just saying the people that knew about splitting fields (abstract algebra) when they were 13 do not act this way, there is no need! Being all uppity shows a desperation to be known as clever or intellectual, it's all really trivial
Reply 54
I bet they don't like you either. Stop being pretentious. Get over it.
I only dislike it when they ignore you and look down on you. :cry2: Hate is a strong word.
Reply 56
Troll. No doubt.

Good one though.
Reply 57
I hate cocky and stuck-up intellectual people. There are some that are smart and intelligent and really nice people too; you've gotta respect these people, not hate.
And we hate you too :smile:
Reply 59

I was going to reply but, screw it. Just stfu.

Quick Reply

Latest