The Student Room Group

Question about evolutionary-biological terminology

So, women are men faced slightly different selective pressures, and evolved slightly different physical and psychological adaptations (e.g. men are stronger, women are better at verbal abilities)

What would be the correct term to describe the evolution of these gender-specific traits?

Would it be phylogenetic?
Reply 1
Original post by PrimateJ
So, women are men faced slightly different selective pressures, and evolved slightly different physical and psychological adaptations (e.g. men are stronger, women are better at verbal abilities)

What would be the correct term to describe the evolution of these gender-specific traits?

Would it be phylogenetic?

No. 'Evolution of sexual dimorphism' I think is what you're looking for :-)
Reply 2
Original post by grovichik
No. 'Evolution of sexual dimorphism' I think is what you're looking for :-)

Oh. I thought sexual dimorphism pertained only to the physical size/shape of the bodies?
(I guess I was wrong about that).

Ok then, what would be the word for what sexual dimporphism is responding to?

For example, if women faced the issue of pregnancy (while men don't) throughout thousands of generations, would it be wrong to say this is a "phylogenetic" thing?

Different selective pressures for genders.... what's the word...

hmmm
Reply 3
Oh. I thought sexual dimorphism pertained only to the physical size/shape of the bodies?

Yip, a sexual dimorphism can be in shape/size/colour/behaviour/survival...

Primate

For example, if women faced the issue of pregnancy (while men don't) throughout thousands of generations, would it be wrong to say this is a "phylogenetic" thing?

hmmm

Hmmm....I'm not sure of the word you're thinking of. I would probably say something like this if I were writing in an essay...'differential selection pressures acting on males and females cause sexual dimorphism'.

:-)
Reply 4

hmmm

I've never heard 'phylogenetic' used in this sense and I'm not sure how it would make sense...unless I'm misreading your question... :-(
Reply 5
No, you're probably right. Thanks for the input
Reply 6
No, you're probably right. Thanks for the input

Sorry I can't be more helpful :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending