The Student Room Group

Sharp pain in chest

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danny111
Stop seeing those 2 doctors asap. Any doctor that prescribes antibiotics when he/she has no clue what is going on is a tool.

:rolleyes: - I've seen 5 diff. Drs @ the surgery, it's NOT always the same 2 who suggested prescribing the antibiotics. I saw them once each - they assumed it was a viral infection, and the antibiotics would clear it, but it hasn't. So I am going back today.
Reply 21

Argh, I suffer from this. Well, I haven't experienced it in a while since it usually happens in childhood (I last last had it in my first year of uni) - the pain is horrendous until you force the 'click' ,then it disappears. Really bizarre.
Original post by peggyb.
:console:hey I have had Costochondritis on and off now for almost a year. I get the bad pains in times of stress.... my symptoms sound a lot like yours. I'm a huge cry baby so I used to think I was having a heart attack and went to the emergency room. They ran a bunch of tests and concluded I wasn't having heart failure, but Costo. due to a dormant virus/anxiety/stress. I find a heating compress on the chest really helps and minimize the stress by reminding yourself you aren't dying!

Glad someone understands what im going through, it is dreadful and so so frightening :frown:. When the pain starts im convinced it's something more serious. It is also making me feel very miserable, because although one Dr in A&E said it might be Costo., the Drs @ my Dr surgery are baffled @ what it is. Although 2 Drs believe it's a viral infection, which is why I have been prescribed the antibiotics. So I honestly don't know, apart from it's annoying me, preventing me from working and im constantly in bed, I don't want to do anything and I just cry all the time. :frown:

I just want to be better, that's all I ask :frown:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by DancinBallerina

Do you find yours hurts when you breathe in deeply? . .

If it hurts when you breathe in deep then it might be precordial catch. The pain is literally a sharp shot which feels more intense when you inhale, and it comes out of nowhere. The next time you have it, take a big inhale! I know it will be crazy pain but it will only last for a second, and if you feel a 'click' within your chest you know you have it! Once you've clicked, the pain vanishes and it feels so good. :sogood: It's nothing to worry about - it's not your heart, nobody knows where/why the pain starts. But obvs you'd assume it's your heart with the location.
Original post by Cybele
If it hurts when you breathe in deep then it might be precordial catch. The pain is literally a sharp shot which feels more intense when you inhale, and it comes out of nowhere. The next time you have it, take a big inhale! I know it will be crazy pain but it will only last for a second, and if you feel a 'click' within your chest you know you have it! Once you've clicked, the pain vanishes and it feels so good. :sogood: It's nothing to worry about - it's not your heart, nobody knows where/why the pain starts. But obvs you'd assume it's your heart with the location.

Last night was the first time I had it in agesss. However I've had a chest pain for the past 4 weeks, which has settled across my left side, at the side! It's kinda radiating to my right side, and both sometimes feel like burning. My chest is grumbling too, which is frightening and worrying me :frown:.

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Back from the Drs, got another dose of antibiotics, which I have to take with a gastric tablet and a stronger painkiller.

So another wk of tablets. If no better mum n dad have said they'll pay for me to go private.
Reply 26
I get random pains in my chest too, no idea what it is though, sorry. Mine don't sound as painful as yours, it sometimes makes me jump and go :eek: though. :rolleyes:
Original post by racaha
I get random pains in my chest too, no idea what it is though, sorry. Mine don't sound as painful as yours, it sometimes makes me jump and go :eek: though. :rolleyes:

Yea, I flinched last night when I got the ''shooting star'' pain :/. I am hoping that this next week the tablets help, as im fed up of taking tablets and in constant pain. :facepalm:
Reply 28
Original post by DancinBallerina
Yea, I flinched last night when I got the ''shooting star'' pain :/. I am hoping that this next week the tablets help, as im fed up of taking tablets and in constant pain. :facepalm:

Eep, I hope they work for you! I hate tablets too. Hope you get well soon! :yep:
Original post by racaha
Eep, I hope they work for you! I hate tablets too. Hope you get well soon! :yep:

Thank you. I too hope the new tablets wrk. They are hard to swallow. But I'll plod on with them and hope for the best that it wrks. **fingers crossed**. I've not felt too bad today, still feel breathless and odd pains, but we'll see. I'm at wrk tomorrow so I'll b in no doubt more pain at the end of my shift!!! :-(. (and wrk boss won't care).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending