The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dog24
ohh well done :smile: what were your grades? I just got a rejection from them :frown:

Awww sad to hear that :frown:

errrm...GCSEs were A* A* A* AAAAA BBBB

AS: AABC - C in critical thinking, the B was 5 UMS from an A so retaking the coursework

Predicted: A* A* A, predicted B in the AS I'm taking alongside it (but that prediction is based on GCSEs and mine were crap so that's why)

I'm guessing I got lucky on the LNAT
Reply 601
Yay...just got an offer from Manchester for law!! Fabulous
Reply 602
Original post by judgejohndeed
Awww sad to hear that :frown:

errrm...GCSEs were A* A* A* AAAAA BBBB

AS: AABC - C in critical thinking, the B was 5 UMS from an A so retaking the coursework

Predicted: A* A* A, predicted B in the AS I'm taking alongside it (but that prediction is based on GCSEs and mine were crap so that's why)

I'm guessing I got lucky on the LNAT

Hey, don't want to discredit your achievement what so ever, but you have to sympathise with me. I have 6A* 4A at GCSE, 4 A's at AS, 3A* predictions yet I've been rejected from both UCL and LSE. I'm not too sure what else I am supposed to do,

but well done anyway :smile:
Reply 603
Original post by mcozza
If you don't mind me asking, did it say why you were rejected? I really want to go to UCL but I know I messed up on my LNAT.

they gave no reason, apparently my application was great, but too many applicants, I'm getting really sick and tired of this whole process, just looking forward to doing my Cambridge interview, maybe they'll see my potential, apparently 100% in most AS modules doesn't cut it anymore, trying not to be bitter but getting quite annoyed now!

good luck anyways :smile:
Original post by dog24
they gave no reason, apparently my application was great, but too many applicants, I'm getting really sick and tired of this whole process, just looking forward to doing my Cambridge interview, maybe they'll see my potential, apparently 100% in most AS modules doesn't cut it anymore, trying not to be bitter but getting quite annoyed now!

Well you have to sympathize with me: I got 13 A stars at GCSE- all proper subjects,
4 A's at AS for English, Latin, Physics and Economics and preidicted A*A*A* and got a very good ps and reference like way above average, with loads of national prizes in my ps and have had no reply from lse, ucl, kcl bristol and Im ******* nervous about Cambridge interview.
Reply 605
Original post by rtzj00
Well you have to sympathize with me: I got 13 A stars at GCSE- all proper subjects,
4 A's at AS for English, Latin, Physics and Economics and preidicted A*A*A* and got a very good ps and reference like way above average, with loads of national prizes in my ps and have had no reply from lse, ucl, kcl bristol and Im ******* nervous about Cambridge interview.

no reply is faaar different from a rejection though my friend :P but ye good luck
Reply 606
Original post by dog24
Hey, don't want to discredit your achievement what so ever, but you have to sympathise with me. I have 6A* 4A at GCSE, 4 A's at AS, 3A* predictions yet I've been rejected from both UCL and LSE. I'm not too sure what else I am supposed to do,

Your grades are only part of your application. Have you tried to contact them for feedback?
Reply 607
manc uni offer woooo
UCAS Processed: 22nd November 2010
Offer received: 2nd December 2010
Original post by dog24
no reply is faaar different from a rejection though my friend :P but ye good luck

Ye but i will probs be rejected due to my bad lnat tho lol so i would prefer to be rejected now than later.
I probs got 18/42 on the lnat max- i worked my score out and my essay was ****E.
Reply 609
Original post by dog24

Must have been the personal statement/reference that did it. Loads of people with good grades apply, it's the statement that separates them.
i noticed a lot of people have applied to a lot of the same unis as me.

my situation is:

LSE- Offer
Queen Mary's- Offer
Oxford (Trinity) - Interview
King's College - No reply as of yet
Nottingham - No reply as of yet

my UCAS was sent on October 14th. if you've applied to LSE or Queens and have not heard from them, maybe you should give them a ring? provided you know you're grades and overall application is a strong one, i think this might be a good idea, since neither are lnat unis

:tongue:
Reply 611
Original post by dog24

Wow. I'd be bitter too to be honest. Unlucky about UCL, just get into Cambridge and prove them wrong :tongue: . When's your Cambridge interview and what college have you applied for?
Reply 612
Original post by mcozza
Wow. I'd be bitter too to be honest. Unlucky about UCL, just get into Cambridge and prove them wrong :tongue: . When's your Cambridge interview and what college have you applied for?

thanks :biggrin: but the interview is going to be reallly tough :P it's next thursday at St John's :smile:
Reply 613
Original post by viola146
Your grades are only part of your application. Have you tried to contact them for feedback?

yes lse said "your gcse's were not good enough" it's just so annoying, and as for my personal statement, it was pretty good I think. I basically read a load of books and applied them to my charity trip to Africa and what I witnessed, plus work experience, a little bit of extra curricular and just generally well written and looked over by a couple of cambridge graduates!
Reply 614
Original post by dog24
yes lse said "your gcse's were not good enough" it's just so annoying, and as for my personal statement, it was pretty good I think. I basically read a load of books and applied them to my charity trip to Africa and what I witnessed, plus work experience, a little bit of extra curricular and just generally well written and looked over by a couple of cambridge graduates!

Reading books, charity trips, extra curriculars does not guarantee a passion for Law will come across. The personal statement isn't to convey how much you've done, but how passionate and motivated you are by the subject.
Reply 615
Original post by Bellrosk
Reading books, charity trips, extra curriculars does not guarantee a passion for Law will come across. The personal statement isn't to convey how much you've done, but how passionate and motivated you are by the subject.

This. I didn't read any books or do any work experience or charity work; nor do I do a crippling amount of extra-curricular stuff. It's all about the right tone and a solid reason behind your passion.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi everyone!
It seems that everyone has started getting offers... I submitted my UCAS application on 20th September but I've yet to receive any offers. :s-smilie: I applied to Cambridge, UCL, KCL, LSE and Notts. Could it because I'm an international applicant? For those who have heard from UCL, when did you take the LNAT?
Original post by bramz19
This. I didn't read any books or do any work experience or charity work; nor do I do a crippling amount of extra-curricular stuff. It's all about the right tone and a solid reason behind your passion.

Might as well get a mod to merge this thread with the discussion thread since everybody is treating this like the discussion thread... :rant:

Anyway, I would disagree and say that reading books does show passion. Obviously not reading books doesn't mean you don't have passion, but taking time to read around the subject and discover what it's like means that you're dedicated.
Reply 618
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Might as well get a mod to merge this thread with the discussion thread since everybody is treating this like the discussion thread... :rant:

Anyway, I would disagree and say that reading books does show passion. Obviously not reading books doesn't mean you don't have passion, but taking time to read around the subject and discover what it's like means that you're dedicated.

Haha, sorry :colondollar:

Oh for sure, reading around the subject can definitely show dedication but, as Bellrosk said, it's not enough to read x amount of books etc. and assume that you will definitely get a place; it doesn't guarantee anything. More important is trying to get across a good, solid reason for your desire to study a subject.
Original post by bramz19
Haha, sorry :colondollar:

Oh for sure, reading around the subject can definitely show dedication but, as Bellrosk said, it's not enough to read x amount of books etc. and assume that you will definitely get a place; it doesn't guarantee anything. More important is trying to get across a good, solid reason for your desire to study a subject.

I definitely agree with both of these guys, listing facts about what you've done just doesn't cut it anymore. It's no longer about how many things you've done, but about how the things you've done relate to your potential as a law student or desire to become one. Maybe you fell into the trap that so many people do, and simply listed your achievements? :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending